• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

re-valving shocks

viperyder

Extreme
does anyone have any experience in hy-gear or pioneer,revalving there shocks for the nytro?if so, do tell please!
i'm thinking of having my sleds suspension worked, but one said to do this and that. but then talked to the other and he said,no you dont need all that ,dont waist your money with all that stuff .you'll never feel it riding trails.
just get your shocks all re-valved.
both agreed coil over is best for that "rail" feeling,but these air shocks handle the bumps better.
i'm so confused!!!!!! :o|

Hygear did my Apex shock/s and I can tell you that it made mountains of improvement of the stock and revalved stock. With that, if you aren't into really beating the trails you probably won't need the biggest badest setup out there. Revalving is realatively inexpensive and can go a long way. Both shops have good reps here and I think either would help. If it were me I would go with Hygear (mostly because I did before and was pleased), but maybe try a less expensive package, unless you've got a bunch of money burning a hole in your pocket. I would go with the revalve, per your weight and riding style all the way around. If you want to get an extra would get the air rese's for the Floats. To me they turned my Apex in to a smooth railer while maintaining the big bump ability that the GYTR's just don't have. The range of ride height adjustability is nice to have.

My sled had an aggravating amount of feedback that came up through the handlebars in the chop. That was addressed by adding a stage to the valve stack just for that issue - called a multi stage or progressive valve stack - without changing anything else. Dealing with chop beacame a non event. If I had not done the work myself (from some exellent advice given by mentors) I would not have beleived the difference. Bigger bumps were never/have not been an issue for me.

Hygear, Pioneer, Carver, and Deycore are all top drawer shops. I doubt you could make a mistake dealing with any of them - but you might want to bring up the progressive valve stack idea to get their take on it. From what I've seen they make a lot of sense - but I'm a rookie, just sharing what I've learned.

Like LJ, on these Floats, I think adding the resi was another good move as well. The adjustable volume make sense to me, but anything is better than nothing? Hygear makes an awesome set if you have the jingle. The Nextechs I have are also really nice. I also agree that a basic package, consisting of only what you are looking for, may make the Hygear more affordable. He's got some really trick stuff, and it's all easily justified, but wow, the bill starts adding up fast..... FWIW

Viperyder,

Hygear has some specific kits for the Nytro. I bit down and ordered the trail kit with re-valving. It completely transformed the sled so that it handles any bump I throw at it while railing the corners as well. I am a big rider. I was so impressed I sent them my RX-1 for re-valving and it rides awesome as well. If you go for the entire kit it is expensive but you will not be disappointed. Just call them give them your data and they will do the rest. Just as reassurance... I take my suspension apart each year to inspect and replace bushings etc. The Rx-1 needed the usual mono shock care. The Nytro needed nothing but grease....even the sliders were half there after 1,400 tough miles. I beat the crap out of that machine too.

I put 3300 miles on my 08 RTX last year with Pioneers setup and its money well spent. I did not like the floats at all before this but they are a great shock with the right valving. He did all 4 for me.

do some research on the valving for the riding you do make your decision on that. everyone has there own opinion and what somone thinks is the perfect setup is the one you think is the worst.

allenpoulin said:
do some research on the valving for the riding you do make your decision on that. everyone has there own opinion and what somone thinks is the perfect setup is the one you think is the worst.

I've found this type of reading pretty scarce, other than ReX's notes in the sticky here. Is there something you've read you'd recommend? Something that might mention some specifics, not just send it here or there?

Great post Gents! I'm planning on sending my shocks from my 09 RTX to Hygear myself but I'm a bit torn on how far to go with this. My biggest concern is the rear shock bottoming way way to much. Next the Floats are to progressive but I found the sweet spot where there wasn't to much ski lift, cornered flat and sucked up the bumps. In the stutter bumps this thing sucked front to back. Maybe a Dual Rate spring in the center is necessary. Not much comfort. I'm hoping just revalving will do the trick but I'm not sure. Also think I'll go with the front resiviors for a less progressive feel. All depends on the jack though. Revalving is a must on this sled. Tighten the rear limiter strap one notch. I'm thinking about pilot 5.7 ski's too... J-ROD

hey stopdrop
make sure you post up a nice big article on how your new set-up works.being honest is always a plus!
dont you hate the people that what ever they do,it's the best thing to having sex with a supermodel?!! :flag:
then when you get it or do it ,your like "this is horrible!!!" lol ;):D
oh well whatever the route i go, i will post up what i think, i got an idea what i'm doing. :Rockon:

viperyder said:
hey stopdrop
make sure you post up a nice big article on how your new set-up works.being honest is always a plus!
dont you hate the people that what ever they do,it's the best thing to having sex with a supermodel?!! :flag:
then when you get it or do it ,your like "this is horrible!!!" lol ;):D
oh well whatever the route i go, i will post up what i think, i got an idea what i'm doing. :Rockon:

You bet buddie, I really wish I could have rode it right before I sent it out that would have given me a nice back to back comparison, but I ride with two other guys that will have a stock XTX to compare it to. I think this is going to be the best mod for this sled!!!

:letsnow: :letsnow: :letsnow:

Back