• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Real ULMER Racing Clutch Kit Gains

kanadacat

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder LTX SE
Had my 2016 Apex stolen in Quebec in Jan and after 6 Apex machines since 2006 I tried the Viper for that rider forward and comfort factor. I know it doesnt and will never pull like an Apex but there must be something out there that lets this dog run faster than 145km/hr.....

Guys I have a 2016 RTX LE and I am considering have both clutches machined and springs,helix and weight.

I want the full package from Ulmer and the 8DN but what I really want is honest feedback from all of you if its worth the money and time.

Will I see a noticible gain in pull and top speed.

I know this has been beaten to death but before I drop 500 dollars with Ulmer I want real world feedback no theoretical numbers I want what your honet opinion was and would you go back and do it all over again with Ulmer of go somehere else.

Roy

If your in ottawa why not talk to Dave at Hurricane? He's in Prescott not to far from you and really good to talk to. I had his NA clutch kit on mine and helped a lot but 160km is what your going to get in good conditions maybe a bit more. But it's an honest 160 on the viper speedo.

This is bullshit, i have searched high and low everyone is an expert but nobody knows nothing? I am absolutely dumb founded that nobody in the snowmobile world knows how to fix this dead anchor without adding a 3000 dollar turbo. There is 10 different clutching experts all from 300 to 600 dollars with 10 different ways.......why cant someone just say straight up how to get 1-more pull, 2-better top speed and we all agree this is crazy.

I have read hours of posts all saying the same thing, they spend hundreds of dollars and some say no real gain except the 1-2 mph difference.

We shouldnt have to spend 12000-to 14000 then change header, muffler, power commander, airbox, clutching just to keep up to a 600, shame on Yamaha this is embarrassing and not to mention the first time Im embarrassed to say I ride Yamaha.

What a mistake buying this piece of crap, hindsight should have walked over and just pulled the trigger on Sidewinder.

It's too bad that you're dissatisfied with the Viper. I bought mine because I wanted a chassis that handles well and is going to be a dependable, fun ride for a long time. That's all this is. I don't remember any promises that it would deliver any land speed records. If you want this chassis a lot faster, get a Sidewinder. But a lot of guys will get sick of its power and want to mod it too. Human nature I guess. Competitiveness... I love mine. I hope you can find what you're looking for!

This is bullshit, i have searched high and low everyone is an expert but nobody knows nothing? I am absolutely dumb founded that nobody in the snowmobile world knows how to fix this dead anchor without adding a 3000 dollar turbo. There is 10 different clutching experts all from 300 to 600 dollars with 10 different ways.......why cant someone just say straight up how to get 1-more pull, 2-better top speed and we all agree this is crazy.

I have read hours of posts all saying the same thing, they spend hundreds of dollars and some say no real gain except the 1-2 mph difference.

We shouldnt have to spend 12000-to 14000 then change header, muffler, power commander, airbox, clutching just to keep up to a 600, shame on Yamaha this is embarrassing and not to mention the first time Im embarrassed to say I ride Yamaha.

What a mistake buying this piece of crap, hindsight should have walked over and just pulled the trigger on Sidewinder.
You bought a 600cc class sled. What did you expect? Don't come here and #*$&@ on us for it.

Your bad bud you should have did some research first! Sell it and by a sidewinder cut your loses if your not happy that's all I could tell you.
I'd suggest to turbo it but you most likely have the new motor.

Back to the original question. First, this engine needs to break in, that alone will give you more top end. Honest gains, hard for me to tell you this as I did not allow mine to break in before adding the following; 1) Ulmer clutch kit and machining to run the 8dn 2) Ulmers quiet can, 3) Excel air intake. Before the mods the best I saw at 600 miles of break in was 89 mph. After the can and clutch kit and about 650 miles on it I saw 94 mph at about 9000 rpms. After adding the the Excel air intake I saw 95 -96 mph consistently with just under 800 miles on the engine then we ran out of snow. After a couple weeks of tinkering we took it out on the lake tonight, solid ice with no snow and hit 98 mph on GPS. Hopefully after a bit more break in time and some tinkering I will cross the 100 mph mark next winter. Come on snow.

Now for the other comment. The Viper is sold as a 600 class sled and it is all of that. My Viper sits next to a 14 MXZX 600HO in the garage. The Ski-Doo is a 98 MPH sled on GPS and the Viper is a 95 MPH sled on GPS before I finished breaking it in. After I get another 1k miles on it I am willing to bet they will run basically the same. Yes, the MXZX is modded as well. To me the Viper handles better and rides faster than the Ski-Doo. The MXZ is nervous and quick to react in the front where the Viper is predictable letting me be more aggressive with powering into and out of the corners. The Viper a shame to 600 class sleds? Tonight I was riding with a Rush 800. From a dead stop the Poo roasted me, just much to quick from 0 to 50. From a 50 mph rolling start I got a sled on him early and in a mile run he never closed the gap, not ashamed of that at all.

I have never been beat by a 600 unless it was highly modded. Want more top end you need more hp. Getting beat elsewhere learn how to race. Enjoy your sled or yes buy a Winder.

My understanding of the top end issue in these sleds is due to spring bind in the secondary. Apparently a real easy and low cost fix is available from Ulmer. As I understand it the secondary spring binds and prevents full shift out and you lose top end.

Had my 2016 Apex stolen in Quebec in Jan and after 6 Apex machines since 2006 I tried the Viper for that rider forward and comfort factor. I know it doesnt and will never pull like an Apex but there must be something out there that lets this dog run faster than 145km/hr.....

Guys I have a 2016 RTX LE and I am considering have both clutches machined and springs,helix and weight.

I want the full package from Ulmer and the 8DN but what I really want is honest feedback from all of you if its worth the money and time.

Will I see a noticible gain in pull and top speed.

I know this has been beaten to death but before I drop 500 dollars with Ulmer I want real world feedback no theoretical numbers I want what your honet opinion was and would you go back and do it all over again with Ulmer of go somehere else.

Roy
Im not here to bash anybody but my 2014 viper LTX brand new would run around 85 mph max on trail grades in u.p. The next season I put in an ulmer trail clutch kit and had the secondary machined and ran the apex belt and could reach around 90 mph in same conditions. So yes it helps but it comes out to a little over 100.00 dollars per mph. worth it?

It's curious how different these machines are. I'm 300+#, d&d trail can, Ulmer clutch kit and machining for a 8dn on a 14 RTX. Mine hangs tough with 800's on the bottom end, they pull from 60mph up but they should. Last time I was out and had a place I could actually hold it open on a railroad grade I hit 95 mph and it was still climbing when I let off. GPS verify that my speedo is pretty much dead on. I don't need to go any faster than that, must be getting old. Lol.

Also if you were expecting a 130hp sled to hang with 160hp sled your expectations were unreasonable. I'd put the viper squarely between the 6 and 800 class IMO. Not many 600 will hang honestly, especially down low. Keep your clutches clean and throw on a new belt every 1500 miles or so if you want squeeze absolutely everything out of it. Even an 8dn can get a little greasy

It's curious how different these machines are. I'm 300+#, d&d trail can, Ulmer clutch kit and machining for a 8dn on a 14 RTX. Mine hangs tough with 800's on the bottom end, they pull from 60mph up but they should. Last time I was out and had a place I could actually hold it open on a railroad grade I hit 95 mph and it was still climbing when I let off. GPS verify that my speedo is pretty much dead on. I don't need to go any faster than that, must be getting old. Lol.

This chassis is picky as to what it likes. I'm a bigger guy as well, I would guess 250ish with all my gear on and as stated above I am pushing 100 with a few simple mods. I've seen in a few places that bigger riders are getting more speed out of it.

Back