• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rear spring set up on a 137" rear suspension

Sidewinder900

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 Yamaha Sidewinder LTX, 1997 Arctic Cat Cougar 580cc
WEBSITE
Gosselinconsulting.com
I am curious on what you would set your rear springs set up for a 270 LB rider. Soft medium or hard?

I usually ride soft spring and have had my shocks recharged and revalved for my weight and riding style. Just curious what other opinions are?

Depends on your riding style. It's the old stiffer shock/softer spring or stiffer spring/softer shock. I tend to leave the shock stock and use a heavier spring on the rear of the sled.

X2 on what STAIN said. Suspension experts will tell you rear torsion springs don't like to be maxed out in preload.

IMO at 270 you should not be on softest. I would start on medium but depending on conditions/trail you ride. If it wants to bottom allot, you'll have to turn them up.

I don't really bottom out much at all. We ride 90% groomed flat trails here.

I don't really bottom out much at all. We ride 90% groomed flat trails here.
Even if you’re not bottoming out doesn’t mean you have the right springs. It also takes weight off the nose of the sled and gives it improper balance. The suspension actually doesn’t work as well too because it will couple the suspension before you have even hit a bump. At 300 I have experienced this. I put the heaviest torsion spring in Hygear had for my sled. It’s on 1 now (still stiffer than stock 3) and it actually is more compliant on the small bumps than with softer spring because the whole suspension can work as designed. They stiffen up as you go through travel. Start with the proper torsion spring and center spring. Front shocks honestly don’t change much between people and weight etc. it’s more riding style that will alter them. But center and torsion is 100% wrong from factory for anyone over 200-225lbs imo

I am curious on what you would set your rear springs set up for a 270 LB rider. Soft medium or hard?

I usually ride soft spring and have had my shocks recharged and revalved for my weight and riding style. Just curious what other opinions are?
#3 hard .

Back