• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Red Tip studs

rtxman

Hi all. Just took delivery of my new RTX and bought Red Tip studs to install. I happened upon some pretty bad raps about these studs in this forum which now I have second thoughts about installing them. I would still like to hear anyones experiences that they may have had using this brand. I usually use Woody's Gold Diggers, but this time was brave to try something new. Your replies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.. And think snow!!!!!!!!!

Good luck on your new Yami, although you won't need it. I am psyched for the season. This will be our first season w/4 strokes and reverse.

What size redtips did you buy? I bought 1.40 studs for my Attak. You too have the 1.25 ripsaw, right? I have heard mostly good about these studs. They are "Built out of premium AISI 410 stainless steel and mining grade carbide, not weaker materials like many studs on the market. Guaranteed against breaking or loss of carbide inserts for one full year". Sounds good to me and certainly at the right price.

-HH

the worst I heard from a guy who bought them said after 2 years one bent and they replaced it. Other than that he was happy with them, no breaks and no carbide loss.

I also had many tips fall out. Could have been a bad batch. They where bought in the fall of 2003. Not one to spin the track on pavement or marginal conditions too.

After 6000 miles and two tracks my red tips are in great shape. Just dont use their square aluminum washers, they stink. Use roaten machined round aluminum washers--------- these are the best.

I've used the red tips almost since they have been out, at least five years on four sleds. I put them on my old XLT to replace the Woodys gold diggers that were beat after 5,000 miles. I then put a set on my wifes 2000 500 Classic both of these sleds wre sold with 10,000 miles on them, the Classic still had 2/3 to 1/2 of the studs left and most carbide inserts were still there. I put a set in a my 04 600 Classic two years ago that my wife rides now and I put a set in my Rage last year that has 2700 miles on it now. The studs themselves are great! The aluminum backers bend and then break. I am switching to their polymer backers this year.

I got the two most recent sets from Korkys and they back up the products they sell. I complained about the aluminum backers at the Syracuse show and was given an entire set of polymer backers for free, on the spot, no questions asked. I asked if they wanted me to send the aluminums back and was told not to bother.

I put 144 down the middle of my APEX ER. My buddy put on 3,500 miles on his red tips last year. Rage 108 studs. He bent one and one was missing. The rest were mint. I was pretty impressed so I purchased them this year, blue round plastic backers also. Dont be afraid these studs they are great. He rode through some rolled corn fields and came out great. One guy had gold diggers, with 2 pull throughs (same area).

APEX 21 said:
I put 144 down the middle of my APEX ER. My buddy put on 3,500 miles on his red tips last year. Rage 108 studs. He bent one and one was missing. The rest were mint. I was pretty impressed so I purchased them this year, blue round plastic backers also. Dont be afraid these studs they are great. He rode through some rolled corn fields and came out great. One guy had gold diggers, with 2 pull throughs (same area).

Hey 21, Ah I finally found someone who studded their sled Apex/Attak w/redtips. You put in 1.40's right? Do you have enough clearance w/ the standard tunnel protectors? I plan on doing my Attak and wife's Vector this weekend.
Good luck w/the sled!

-HH

Hi hemihead. I put 1.40's on. there is plenty of clearance with the tunnel protectors. I was told you could go as high as 1.50 red tips. I was told the 1.40 red tips are the same size as 1.325 woodys. I measured and have appx 3/8 of a inch penetration (studs LOL).

KEEP THE SHINY SIDE UP

Back