• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Relocated the fuse box

No need for extra protection or labels. The fuse box is labeled inside and up to this point there have been no reports of damage due to belt failure with it located on the guard. Look at the Sidewinders. They have the coolant overflow bottle mounted on the belt guard.

I honestly think it’s just age and heat that drys the belts out turning them into what I can best describe as cardboard. Even in original bag the 8dn is folded almost as much as the Barn of Parts holder but it’s sealed and I believe a inert gas is in there. Yamaha did this for a reason. That’s why I am going to use bag from now on. Might get two years out of them this way. Yes I am tight!

I run the life out of a belt. I'm still running the original 8JP on the Viper with 3,000 miles and my Nytro is on it's second belt with 10,000 miles on the meter. My spare belts probably should be checked because I've had them for so long but I also pull them out during the summer months and hang them in a cabinet in the garage so they are not folded.

My secondary was the issue. Replace it and belt issue went away. Every 250 miles I was replacing buttons. And was replacing bushings on sheave and helix. New clutch and temps are cool on clutches.

Here's the fuse and relay layout.

006%20Fuses_zpsxzqa6dzr.jpg

Fuse%20and%20Relays%202_zpsg3keezbu.jpg

I've thought about placing a direct to battery, switched hand warmer element on top of the
relays. Conduction is better than convection!;) But I'm not sure if the time it would take, to warm up the relays, would drain the battery too much to start the machine?:dunno:

I've only had one no start due to a stuck relay. Pretty embarrassing when riding with a group of SkiDoos.:(
Are these the stock relays? Do solid state ones look the same and are they worth putting in?

Yes they are the stock relays.
There are members on here that found a BETTER version of these relays but they are not like the old solid state relays Yamaha used in the past.

With that said... these relays are problematic at times when temperatures get real cold.
I would keep spares in your tool kit,
And relocate the panel to the clutch guard for easy access for when you to warm them up.
Takes 2 mins to warm them up and your off riding again.

I have yet to figure out a way to relocate my fuse box. the intake elbow for the MPI turbo is in the way.

I have yet to figure out a way to relocate my fuse box. the intake elbow for the MPI turbo is in the way.

Yea you guys running the MPI turbo’s
Are in a tough spot regarding the re location.

How has the fuse box mod held up for the guys that did it ... threw vibration and dust etc from belts... all still good to go?? Might do it tonite to our 2 vipers

No issue with just relocating to the belt guard.

Back