• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Reverse not working

snowriderjoe

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha Viper L-TX
Has anyone had issues with the reverse not working.
I press the reverse button and nothing happens (not even any clicking noise or anything indicating that it is being actuated) I looked for a fuse buy couldn't find one for reverse. There was one that said shifting, but it was not blown. Checked for loose connections also.
It worked at the end of the season last year.

this is probably why there is a techinical bulletin for the reverse, have you had that done yet?

Rock the sled back and forth if you haven't and try. Check connections at the reverse actuator. Could be a few things. The actuators themselves often go bad. The reverse update shouldn't effect the actuator turning or getting power. It was only a spring and block to stop it from popping out of gear more easily. Listen closely near the actuator and see if it tries to move. They can lock up. You can free it up sometimes by removing it and manually turning the gear on the backside with channel locks or similar. I've had that work but usually fails again at some point. Can also take it apart and clean it up the inside and try again. Grease gets old and they get sticky and jam up sometimes.
Of course this is all IF it is an actuator itself issue, in which case you can get it warrantied and swapped out. A good dealer might just swap actuators if you didn't feel like dragging the sled in and can pinpoint the problem.

Last edited:
Also check the chain tension. If the tensioner is set too tight it can keep it from shifting. It should be hand tight, then turned back out 1 1/4 turns.

Like I said, it worked fine all last year. Just noticed it this fall. Had the reverse bulletin done when i bought the sled in March. Only 670 miles on sled. It's going in for the fuel line recall, so I'll have dealer check it then

Get your reflash done at your dealer. That will help with the unit reading properly. Also aids in start up and all the way through the throttle range.
Have you ever had the update done on the actuator with the detent? If not that needs to be done for sure. Has your chain case ever been apart. If so
the unit needs to be shifted in and out of reverse 3 times for the computer finds it's neutral. Simplest issue: is there any water or corrosion in the connector. (that'll give you problems)
Tech tip of the day - Dielectric grease is a mans best friend especially when electrical systems are used in high humidity conditions. **A little lube goes a long way! **

Mine did that first start up this fall. I loosened the three screws that hold boom shifted fine. Manual also states the shaft going to the gear should be lubricated.

I just heard from the dealer today. They said the reverse actuator motor is locked up. Replacing under warranty. 630 miles on it. I hope the replacement lasts a little longer than that.

The funny thing is that it was working the last time I rode it. So i wonder if it gets corroded sitting over the summer?

It won't mine went down at 830 miles. Thank goodness CAT had them in stock they were back ordered on teh Yamaha side for 3 months. It is lighter than the Apex but still sucks dragging the tail to turn it around. I know of 3 Yamis and even more on the CAT side that failed last year.

Back