• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ripsaw or cobra? / zx2 or airwave?

06RTXRider

Expert
Looking into replacing my track and suspension since the shocks need a rebuild, both rails are cracked, ripsaw is about shot. I have extroverts so track will have to be open windows. I hope i can part out rear skid to recover some of my costs.

I typically ride agressively and would like the right track and suspension to handle that.

I wanted a new sled but not real excited about whats offered. The nytro lacks a little on the top for me and i already have an apex so it seems like upgrading the rear would be a good option for a motor that has lots of life left. About 5500miles after this season. I'd like to get an early start at getting it ready for next season.

I have the Cobra track and had ripsaws in the past..

Ripsaw.. Great trail track, great durablility, sucks off trail..

Cobra track, Great trail track, much getter off trail..Ive only got 1900 miles on mine and soo far so good..

I have seen no drawbacks to going to a cobra, no loss in top end, it is quicker because it has better traction..

If it were me, i would go with the airwave suspension,,

I added a cobra track last year on my 06 rtx and would never go back to ripsaw again. I copy welter on his statment regarding this track.

06RTXRider said:
Any feedback on adding studs to the cobra?

Welter, Why do you recommend the airwave?

I know tom has it and loves it.. Its very trick.. I know the zx skid is holding up good for guys and its pretty cheap but im not a huge fan of the looks of it..

I have 111 studs in my track.. I run 1.450 woody SS studs with tall nuts..

I have used the woody SS studs in many of my past studs and would highly recomment them.. very durable in installed correctly

I love my cobra, I have 168 1.45 megabites up the middle with a single/double woody's pattern. Hooks awesome.

I'm a little scared of 1.450" studs, I have 1.325" 's now and have marks in the tunnel from them especially in the rear. I have no issue's with the coolers but it makes me nervous!

Have you guy's seen the same clearance issue's with the taller studs?

I shaved some hyfax to about 1/8" and added them to my tunnel protectors. I keep an eye on track tension as to make sure it is within spec to avoid ballooning. About 2000 miles and no problems. It is really night and day between the oem and the cobra, even if you use th 1.325 studs for braking, it is still better than the rip-saw on the Apex. I think the rip-saw is a great track, just not on an Apex that is ridden off trail more than 10 percent of the time.

A Fast suspension has no business under a performance sled. If you are riding it strictly as a cruiser, they're fine. If you are any degree of aggressive rider, you will eventually be VERY disappointed with the Fast. If you are looking for any kind of holeshot, forget it. They do not transfer well PERIOD.

ahicks said:
A Fast suspension has no business under a performance sled. If you are riding it strictly as a cruiser, they're fine. If you are any degree of aggressive rider, you will eventually be VERY disappointed with the Fast. If you are looking for any kind of holeshot, forget it. They do not transfer well PERIOD.

What are you recommending?

I ride agressively as stated before, I don't want to sacrifice transfer or top end!

ZX2 makes the sled feel about 200 lbs lighter no joke. Jumps like a 440 racer everything is soft even if you do get it to bottom out. I have never seen a suspension quite like the ZX2, I love mine to death. Air wave is a cush mobile great for long long trips and dudes doing 5000+ miles a year. ZX2 is way more fun transfers yet rails, jumps and rides 2-3' moguls yet trails nicely down a smooth trail.

I'm riding an Airwave in an 06 Apex Gt and I'm very happy with it. The push button air adjustment allows you to set it perfectly to where you use all the travel with out botteming. A great feature if different weight riders use the same sled, or you change the weight by adding gear or a passenger. It transfers about the same as the stock factory set up and does not have an adjustment for tranfer so it wont pull any wheelies but it does OK on take off. I like my skis on the ground when I'm floored so that suits me just fine. Although, I will admit, if you have ski lift, it is easier to catch air by hitting it on any bump, lifting and getting a jump out of it and that can be fun. You give that up with the Airwave as it will just soak the bump up like there was nothing there. For that reason I would consider the ZX2 a more sporty get out and beat on it suspension and the Airwave a more plush ride all week suspension. Both seem to be good trouble free suspensions.

06RTXRider said:
ahicks said:

What are you recommending?

I ride agressively as stated before, I don't want to sacrifice transfer or top end!

There's a lot of guys saying the ZX is a fine skid for aggressive riding. I can't justify spending that kind of money to do that though. There are many OEM suspensions out there that will perform really well for a fraction of the money - and - you can buy any part of any of them locally.
I went with Polaris, many go with thier own favorite. Go with anything you're familiar with built in the last few years and you can't go wrong. You'll be light years ahead of where you're at now. Do some searching. I think you'll see a bunch of guys doing this with all brand skids.

Holler if you need a hand. I've helped a bunch of them. -Al

Back