• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ripsaw or cobra? / zx2 or airwave?

One thing to consider for the weight fanatics, is the stock mono from a 06 is 52lbs, the ZX2 is 52 lbs, and polaris edge is 65lbs.

My old proaction from my RX1 was 72lbs!

Going with another brand OEM skid will add a few pounds but I couldn't tell that much when I reduced 20lbs from my proaction to the ZX2, but it did get a little easier to heave the rear, still heavy though!

Definitely looking at the ZX2 for my attak.

Does it just "bolt" right in or do you have to move the mounts?

Any loss of top end??

Does it change the AOA to improve flotation or is it about the same?

My only concerns with going with a skid from another manufacturer is installing it in the right position. I'm pretty mechanical but not sure where to start when installing another skid.

I'm also wondering if i should go 1ply cobra or 2. I've been told the 1 ply tends to balloon when loaded full of studs.

Ansering the question on why I changed to air wave from the GT Ohlins. I owned an 06 Gt and the shock failed twice. Lost it's dampening and needed a complete new shock. I was also worried by the reports of breakage. While it was down I bought another 06 Gt that had this Air wave installed for a demo to this online magazine.
http://www.maxsled.com/absolutenm/templ ... 7&zoneid=4
I still own both sleds. The stock one is for sale($4300 with a brand new shock)
I did notice that the new shock they just put in works better and goes stiffer than the original first 2. They likely have made improvements.

06RTXRider said:
My only concerns with going with a skid from another manufacturer is installing it in the right position. I'm pretty mechanical but not sure where to start when installing another skid.

I'm also wondering if i should go 1ply cobra or 2. I've been told the 1 ply tends to balloon when loaded full of studs.

You want the 2 ply for the extra versatility I'd think. If you were racing (or super weight concious) it might be another story.

Locating the holes to mount an OEM skid is scary the first time around. After that, you learn it's just a matter of figuring out where they need to be.

There's some drawings here, as well as a short "how to" that helped a bunch of guys going with the Poo skids (literally hundreds of guys have used them), but you'll find the info/diagrams generic as far as the ideas behind them are concerned.

http://jbshocks.com/tech.html

There's more info in "Skis, Studs, and Aftermarket Suspensions" section way down below on this site. Ton of stuff written here in the Apex/Attak and "RX" areas as well.

If/when you settle down on a particular skid I might be able to give more specifics. Best advice if you decide to go this route is to watch what shocks are included as part of any deal you're making. Often they'll determine how good your deal really is. -Al

YAttak07 said:
Definitely looking at the ZX2 for my attak.

Does it just "bolt" right in or do you have to move the mounts?

Any loss of top end??

Does it change the AOA to improve flotation or is it about the same?

"Bolt in"?? No skid other then stock does this, you need to remove the factory mounts, take the new install kit temporaily place a stock bolt through the stock location bolt hole then through install kit (which is a plate) and swing the plate till it its the top of the tunnel, rivet in place remove the temp bolt and do the other side then drill the 4 new holes for the Zx2 and then BOLT it in. The install kits save so much time from no measuring or dinking around and you get it perfect the first time.

Why does everyone think the ZX2 loses top end? I actually picked up 3-4mph from the edge I had before this. The rear has 8" wheels for less friction. Many others stated no loss and some gained a little some gained none.

Want to make the front of the sled feel like a 2 stroke?... go ZX2

It makes the sled feel so much lighter then it is. Seriously its a sick set up.

Thanks Kinger and Ahicks for all of your input. Right now i'm thinking the zx2 for ease of installation and it will be "new". I realize there are good deals on other used skids but i don't get a lot of time to tinker.

As far as the track i'm thinking the 2 ply 1.25" cobra will be the best option. I have no complaints on the ripsaw, my track is in very good condition for 5000+ miles. No torn lugs, no pulled studs, just damage in the center of the track from the shock and also the transfer rod breaking. I also have a lot of the drive lugs tearing off. And then there's the clip issue.... Hopefully with the new track and skid these things will no longer be an issue

I would definitely stay away from the single ply tracks if durability were important.
I can say the ZX-2 is one tuff suspension. I pounded mine to no end for approx 8000kms and it shows no sign of fatigue. I do have to say that I had major issues with slider wear this season, which is mostly due to allot of icey conditions. Been through 5 sets of sliders this season which I’m not happy about where others with the mono riding in the same conditions went through much less slider wear (melting). I do plan to add larger idlers next season, which I hope will take a load off my sliders. Have to keep in mind when you melt through the sliders, your now melting into your suspension.
I have not gained in top end speed which I blame it to the much taller ride height.

Dan

Back