• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rode with a guy with the new Cat Z1 4 stroke

ViperTurboPete

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Viper XTX LE MPI Turbo
2022 Expedition Extreme 850
Rode last weekend, one guy had the new Cat 4 stroke (he is a dealer). I wasn't impressed with the sound, look etc. Not for me.

howd it go? Will it "Smoke" a vector like all the cats guys said it would?

Yami smurf,

Seen one on the floor in TC at Great Escapes. I laughed all the way back to the car. If thats cats answer to a 4 stroke they just went two steps backwards. Thier is no way a 2 cylinder 4 stroke will even come close hangin with a Vector. Like they say in Canada " Know y Arctic riders put thier permits on thier helmets???" So they can walk home from the trail---LOL.

I have see it and I think it has great possibilities.. 4 tower primary and double roller secondary.. Better finish than a lot of cats.. Test riders say it will make the vector work to stay ahead of it.. Ride was as good as a vector according to Sno Tech. Very flat footed in the corners. Time will tell. To soon to knock it with out it having been ridden by all types of riders. Look what people thought of the RX1 when it came out until it had a chance to prove itself.

The dealer guy said he kept up with the 05 Vector, but said he wasn't faster. There were over 50 of us racing/riding on a lake that is 40 miles long that day. The Cat guy was saying it handles better and rides better than the Vector. Of all the guys who took it out for a little toot didn't seem overly impressed by it, but not unimpressed by any means. I didn't care to try it out. The crowd really wasn't buzzing. I am sure if he had the new T-Cat, there would have been a buzz.

The sound along with the look reminded me of a Gremlin. I tried to like it, tried not to be biased, but it just didn't do anything for me at all. You know when you get a feeling of excitement when looking at a hot sled?

The fit and finish was typical Cat. The ripples in the seat, the cheap look. It looks like a "big" machine to boot. Other than the ride which I can't comment on, it really doesn't compare to the Vector. They are totally different other than hp (118 vs 123).

It's funny when driving/racing with a mass of sleds. Every few kms someone either blew a belt, engine, ran out of gas, etc. One guy got mad at another guy who was riding an 05 RX1. He yelled "I have been passed by sleds many times, but I have never been passed by a sled towing another sled!!!!!!!!" The RX1 was towing an F7 with a toasted engine. It was comical.

Fastest sled that day was a stock 97 Mach with 12000 original miles on it. Second fastest was a Poo XCR 800, then Apex RTX (which wasn't close). The lake (which I am fortunate to have a camp on) is definitely 4 stroke country where you can hold it to the bar for a long long time.

RX1MPete said:
One guy got mad at another guy who was riding an 05 RX1. He yelled "I have been passed by sleds many times, but I have never been passed by a sled towing another sled!!!!!!!!" The RX1 was towing an F7 with a toasted engine.
NOW thats funny. ;)!

Wish I was there. I'm dying to see a Z1 perform. I'd like to ride one too. I've never been a fan of the feel of a cat, but I'd like to see one of these. My cousin's got a "new" 05 900 twin 2 stroke (ZR?) and I passed on a test ride offer. Wish I would have tried it out but it was still old chassis cat.

Fastest sled that day was a stock 97 Mach with 12000 original miles on it. Second fastest was a Poo XCR 800, then Apex RTX (which wasn't close). The lake (which I am fortunate to have a camp on) is definitely 4 stroke country where you can hold it to the bar for a long long time.

Wow, im surprised that the Apex wasnt even close. Were they modded up or something, or what was wrong with the Apex. I can maybe see it being close but not having the highest top speed, but having it not come close surprises me. Is this common when raced with these other sleds?

I saw one at the Dealer, not impressed with the hood finish. Hood was not painted, it was the color of the plastic (Green) and you could see indentations in the top surface where the brackets underneath where molded in. Time will tell, but fit and finish is not up to par with Yamaha. I will give them credit on building a Four Stroke and for a first try, Great effort! :Rockon:

RTX was the same speed from bottom to top with a stock 05 RX1. I assume clutching was out a bit on the RTX. Mach was stock, Poo was modded and it was stretched to a 136 with a 1.25.

You guys are funny. I read through here about fit and finish and how cat is so behind, then I go out to the shed and look at that 05 Vector I have sitting there and start to compare. I'll admit that the Cat's in the past were "unrefined" but come on. My Vector is certainly not the best in fit and finish either. And to say the Jaguar is anything yet, good or bad is a serious misjudgement.! How many of you have seat time on it? I'd at least give it a year before you are too quick to judge. Hey it's no Apex by far, but then it was never intended to be. It is in the Vector/Nytro class, and from all accounts, and the ride time I have on it, it will most certainly ride right with the vector/nytro in any condition.
Remember when the RX-1 came out and people were quick to judge that, but yet all the Yami guys stuck up for it. Now the shoe is on the other foot and some guys are either a little nervous, or just plain forgot about 03.

Rocket said:
You guys are funny. I read through here about fit and finish and how cat is so behind, then I go out to the shed and look at that 05 Vector I have sitting there and start to compare. I'll admit that the Cat's in the past were "unrefined" but come on. My Vector is certainly not the best in fit and finish either. And to say the Jaguar is anything yet, good or bad is a serious misjudgement.! How many of you have seat time on it? I'd at least give it a year before you are too quick to judge. Hey it's no Apex by far, but then it was never intended to be. It is in the Vector/Nytro class, and from all accounts, and the ride time I have on it, it will most certainly ride right with the vector/nytro in any condition.
Remember when the RX-1 came out and people were quick to judge that, but yet all the Yami guys stuck up for it. Now the shoe is on the other foot and some guys are either a little nervous, or just plain forgot about 03.

Nice POST.

Back