• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rode with a guy with the new Cat Z1 4 stroke

YamiSmurf said:
Mags claim fit and finish rivals the best today? You've seen it, is it true?

YS

My dealer has one..and the finish and quality is still years behind a Yamaha....i bet the first thing to break on it is the cheap rear compartment lid!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw an f6 at the local dealer. I was impressed with it. I liked it just looking at it more than the firecats. I hope someone I know has one because I would like to ride it and draw my own conclusions. I do know 1 local guy that said he rode them and said it was no comparison to the F-series ride wise. We'll see. Its still a first year cat.

Sled Dog said:
Wait till the final product is out and you have seen and rode one. Then your comments will mean a lot more.

The local Arctic Cat dealership got in 4 of the new Z1s and sold all of them right away. At least the AC guys wanted them.

You are saying that we have to wait for the final product??? Does AC still sell prototype sleds???

I really hope not because back in the late 80s I jumped ship to AC cause of the Wildcat 650. I got hold of a 1987 prototype and it was not holding up, pistons broke, stator shorted, front shocks broke, but when it ran it was the fastest thing on snow.

BTW - I will not go back to AC anymore. I'll keep my Yammies for a while, they work just great.

For the first time the Cat claimed HP numbers are the lowest expected by customers. The ZI was dynoed by Dynotech at 131, expect similar results on other models plus the weights are coming lower than specs. Nice for a change from them.

Jim

I heard about the dynotech run but according to the long thread on HC sledder the Jag weighs in at 600 lbs on an accurate scale no gas. Cat claims 575 so that is about right most crate weights are 20-25lbs heavier than full dry claims. Some guy originally tried to say it weighed 529 but he was using 3 amalog scales and calibrated them by using his body weight at the doctors office. Very fishy In the end the new cat is heavy..... and at $10,500 you would be crazy to pass up a new Apex ER to buy a Jag!

I have read on other boards that The new Cat four stroke was dynoed at DynoTech (Jim) @130hp. Cat said it was a min of 123hp and they dynoed in at 130hp. Don't be surpurprised if the production units beat the vector. I'm new to Yamaha, but you guys are way to bias about your Yamaha sleds. There will always be one sled better than the other, it just may be another brand.

SledFreak said:
There will always be one sled better than the other, it just may be another brand.

Good point! There is always something better out there, but there are a lot of things in the equation that constitute "better" like speed, build quality, price, riding style, etc. If it ends up being faster, that does not necessarily mean "better". There are plenty of sleds out there that will beat my Vector without a doubt.

The sled just suits my personal preference, but I realize I am far from the majority of overall sledders.

twomorestrokes said:
SledFreak said:
There will always be one sled better than the other, it just may be another brand.

Good point! There is always something better out there, but there are a lot of things in the equation that constitute "better" like speed, build quality, price, riding style, etc. If it ends up being faster, that does not necessarily mean "better". There are plenty of sleds out there that will beat my Vector without a doubt.

The sled just suits my personal preference, but I realize I am far from the majority of overall sledders.
>>>>
you have a very good rounded comment ! I do agree with the previous poster that most everyone here on TY is very biased and closed minded, to me it's the best over all product for the dollar, as you said. Yamaha isn't exactly owning up to all the little workmanship problems on the new sleds and this is also something to consider in the mix. After a few years of nagging problems some people might not be nearly as pleased with old blue. Hopefully Yamaha will step up and take care of it's consumers or they'll never be number one in the ranks.

twomorestrokes said:
SledFreak said:

Exactly, most sledders equate better with faster. Twomorestrokes you're right, there's more to being better than just speed.

DELTABOX said:
I heard about the dynotech run but according to the long thread on HC sledder the Jag weighs in at 600 lbs on an accurate scale no gas. In the end the new cat is heavy!

Yep quite simular to the 03 RX1 at 614pds no gas. Yet everyone said it felt way lighter. HP was at 135 on a dyno but was said it will improve after break in.

The Jag is not that dissimular. I think Cat has done a good job and will give Yamaha some much needed competition. It will only serve to make the sport better. :4STroke:

Sasquatch said:
DELTABOX said:
I heard about the dynotech run but according to the long thread on HC sledder the Jag weighs in at 600 lbs on an accurate scale no gas. In the end the new cat is heavy!

Yep quite simular to the 03 RX1 at 614pds no gas. Yet everyone said it felt way lighter. HP was at 135 on a dyno but was said it will improve after break in.

The Jag is not that dissimular. I think Cat has done a good job and will give Yamaha some much needed competition. It will only serve to make the sport better. :4STroke:

That's just plain blasphemous!!! Have you checked to make sure your underwear is Blue lately?

Sasquatch said:
DELTABOX said:

Outside of the ride (which is yet unproved) you are spot on, it is very similar to the 03 RX. It shows that they are making a serious effort in the 4 stroke world. However would YOU buy an 03 RX in 2006? Yamaha is still up on the game by a long shot. Lets hope that they take the upcoming 4 strokes from the other makes seriously and keep improving.

I am somewhat biased :yam: :4STroke: :rules

Saw the Jag today, I don't like it.. I will go with team blue for another year at least. LaLaLa :-o

Yamahnator said:
Outside of the ride (which is yet unproved) you are spot on, it is very similar to the 03 RX. It shows that they are making a serious effort in the 4 stroke world. However would YOU buy an 03 RX in 2006? Yamaha is still up on the game by a long shot. Lets hope that they take the upcoming 4 strokes from the other makes seriously and keep improving.

Other than the weight the Z1 is nothing like the '03 RX-1. In fact it could even be considered a leap forward from an '07 Apex in many ways. Adjustable Seating Position, Handlebars and Windshield, definitely better stock skis, more durable skid, etc...

Is that enough for me to buy one? Hell no! But these additions to the sledding world should not be minimized in any way, I for one think that they are awesome innovations that should lead to more of the same from all of the OEMs. Cat has come up with a way to solve the ongoing beef between rider forward and traditional positioning all in one sled. You can ride the bumps one day, and blast the Quebec superhighways the next.

I would have to agree that Cat has really hit the nail on the head with the adjustability on their new 07 snowmobiles. A snowmobile that adjusts to the rider and not visa versa is sure hit in my books (I'm sure, however, there will be some bugs to work out). Hopefully it inspires the other manufacturers to apply similar innovations to their products.

Back