• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RS Vector

Windsor Sledder

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2013 Yamaha vector ltx
Just wondering which drive belt people are using on the 2013 Vector Ltx. I have been using the Yamaha one part#8dn-17641-01-00. Just not sure if it is the right one. I have blown 5 belts in the last two years. I checked the alignment and it is ok. I did purchase a lower engagement spring and hoping that helps.

What to heck? I'm still rotating my original and spare on my 2005!

Just wondering which drive belt people are using on the 2013 Vector Ltx. I have been using the Yamaha one part#8dn-17641-01-00. Just not sure if it is the right one. I have blown 5 belts in the last two years. I checked the alignment and it is ok. I did purchase a lower engagement spring and hoping that helps.

Somebody will chime in to say this is the correct p/n.

Your belts are getting too hot. Are you doing most of your riding in deeper snow? I'm not talking about 2-3 feet of fresh powder....A foot of fresh on a lake kinda stuff.

Personally I would remove both clutches and have them gone through by a reputable shop.

Try a Carlisle Ultimax belt instead of the Yamaha belt.

Usually all trail riding mostly northern Ontario where you can move pretty good. I am only getting approx 1500 miles on a belt. I went on EBay and a place shows that belt only fits up to 2012 so I was just wondering because I alway
S use that belt. Maybe I will try the Carlisle.

Usually all trail riding mostly northern Ontario where you can move pretty good. I am only getting approx 1500 miles on a belt. I went on EBay and a place shows that belt only fits up to 2012 so I was just wondering because I alway
S use that belt. Maybe I will try the Carlisle.

You are running the belt spec'd for your sled. From a Yamaha parts site = 8DN-17641-01-00

5 belts x 1500 miles per belt = 7500 miles. Some people (me) might say that's not that bad assuming you haven't touched your clutches. A Carlisle belt is softer and they might last even less miles.

You MIGHT want to consider adding 2" soffit vents to your clutch cover to improve airflow. The cooler you can get your clutches/belts to run the better.

I did have the primary partially apart to change the spring. I am hoping the lower engagement spring helps because it used to engage very hard. I will have a better look at the secondary. I do know all three plastic slides are good. Thanks for the info.

I also average about 3,000 kms per Yamaha belts on my 06 Vector, my Warrior is much worse. I've tried other belts and they only last about half the kms the Yamaha belts do. All my belts delaminated during extended periods of full bar throttle in northern Ontario. Lots of places to go fast and long there. Also, I'm also pulling 300 lbs plus with full gear and touring luggage. I find that if you are gentle on the throttle you can get about 5000 kms per belt. But like most, I like to hammer it now and then, so you pay the price for that. My clutches are also aligned, and maintained well yearly.

Thanks for the info. I was just kind of surprised my 2006 vector with 28000klms only blew two belts in approx 5 years but I would start every season with a new one.

Check the clutch weights, sometimes they wear out. New belts should be deglazed before use. I clean mine with Simple Green, warm water, and a green Scotch pad. You can also use a Scotch pad on the clutch surfaces to deglaze them. I use electrical contact cleaner to remove surface residue, or just throw them in the dishwasher.

Clutch weights and rollers are fine. I will clean the new belt before I put it on. Thanks

Doubt that the lower engagement spring would help. It being a new spring period can't hurt. Would also put in a new spring in your secondary as well.

I come back to the idea of putting 2" aluminum soffit vents in your clutch guard. Anything to get some cooler air in there can only help. If you are running in powder simply use some duct tape to cover the vents.

EDIT - replace the 6 ea. slider shoes in your primary as well. I was amazed at how worn they were in my 05 Vector.

Back