• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rust on front A Arms almost since new, Help

yamariv

Expert
I brought my sled into the dealer a week ago to get a few things checked out before it goes off warranty. I asked the dealer if Yamaha covers rust and he kinda laughed saying they don't and it would be impossible to do that on offroad sleds which I kind of understand.

The issue is that since about 2 weeks after I bought it brand new the front A Arms(Top One) started to show rust underneat the flat welded U Shaped support they add to the A Arm. Since it rusted so quick that would mean that there was bare unpainted metal under there and should be a warrantee issue cause it wasn't painted properly since day 1. Anyone have any advise, should I call Yamaha and try to get help from them directly.

I have no issue if the arms got chipped and started rusting cause of wear and tear but this is a manufacturing issue and now I'm gonna have to pay out of pocket to get it powder coated.

Im not sure how a bent sub frame and rusty a-arms have a correlation? Wouldn't the arm be bent too causing the paint come off?

I pulled the arms off my Apex after the first week and powder coated them myself. The Yamaha factory paint just blew off in the blast cabinet.

bottlerocket said:
If you said something with in 2 weeks after buying you would have a chance but not 2 seasons IMHO.

I bought the sled new this year as a left over. It started rusting in January this year, I've only been riding it it for 3 months now, mentioned it when I brought it back to the dealer as it's getting worse quickly compared to when I first noticed it.

Anyone else have this issue on their new machines?

As for the bent subframe reply, I guess I didn't explain the issue location well. The rust is a surface rust on the upper A Arm near the ski spindle. There is a U Shaped peice of flat metal welded to reinforce the A Arm. It is rusting undernearth the metal plate where it is welded to the edge of the A Arm. Definitely not bent or have anything to do with the subframe, just poor paint job at the welded seam and rust is starting from snow and salt melting on the front suspension. I try to keep my sled real clean and this is the only place where rust is starting on the front.

I feel Yamaha should warranty something like this as it shouldn't rust in the first season on both sides at the same spot. Would love to simply powder coat it but thats expensive.

I would buy slicast arms(or such) before I spent any money powder coating. I seen a 09 Nytro demonstrator with rusty arms, but who knows what that sled was put through? Mine has a little rust like yours also but it is 4 years old. Good luck.

yamabrute said:
I would buy slicast arms(or such) before I spent any money powder coating. I seen a 09 Nytro demonstrator with rusty arms, but who knows what that sled was put through? Mine has a little rust like yours also but it is 4 years old. Good luck.

What are slicast arms?

It's not just Nytros. Phazers and MP's have the same issue. Had my MP's arms done at Ottawa Powdercoating in Stittsville. as well as my bumpers, and haven't rusted in two years. On top of that, the colour was an exact match to the rest of the sled. I believe the name of the powdercoat colour was Electric Blue.

Mind you, it's not bulletproof, like you may have seen on the rear passenger handle of my sled. If hit, it will chip and rust.

:o|

That rust happens on all of yammies reinforced a-arms (except for the following posters who will say there's doesnt rust, or the posters who say just to pour a little Seafoam on it).

Manufacturing process, most likley cannot spray paint that area well enough to keep the oxidation from happening. Small price to pay for the quality.

Back