• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rx-1 wont start or idle unless the choke is on.. Backfiring.

welterracer

TY 4 Stroke God
Need help..

A month ago i started and ran this sled and it ran perfect.. It snows and i go to pull it outta the shop and it it wont stay running unless the choke is 1/4 the way on or more..

It runs fine WOT.. but wont idle if i turn the choke off.. It dies..

Its also backfiring while idling with the choke on and while riding..

any ideas?

60% need new plugs or 40 % carbs need cleaned. I have my 05 in right now cleaned the carbs before I parked it last season. Treated the fuel and I have inline filters and guess what. Dirt in the bowls.

But the plugs are usually the culprit with that and they cannot be cleaned and re-used.

You started it a month ago - Just in the shop for a few minutes? they just don't like that.

By the way Have both 05's in for season prep and Mono's still are beautiful. over 4,000 miles on the yellow and 3,000 on the black just minor markings and no rust through. Last year was a bugger we had the big 3 wk melt in Jan and conditions were bad.

Nice Job - That was the first yr since 03 that I did not break 1 suspension. I even built a spare in case cause I usually do and I think I'll leave it in the shop this season.

Re: Rx-1 wont start or idle unless the choke is on.. Backfir

welterracer said:
Need help..

A month ago i started and ran this sled and it ran perfect.. It snows and i go to pull it outta the shop and it it wont stay running unless the choke is 1/4 the way on or more..

It runs fine WOT.. but wont idle if i turn the choke off.. It dies..

Its also backfiring while idling with the choke on and while riding..

any ideas?

Take your carbs off and clean the pilots, bowls and the rest of the jets while your at it and set your idle air mix screws to 2 turns out on all of them. Take your plugs out and burn the crap off them clean and reinstall. She will purr like a kitten. One more note make sure the air box is on correctly as well.

the ethonol fuel additive is causing alot as well. the fuel is proven to break down and seperate from the ethonol similar to what pre-mix does after time. It will clog up the carbs on your RX-1, as it did with mine when i pulled it out of storage this year. my sled had the EXACT SAME problem the way you described it.

Not quite. The phase separation is a result of absorbing too much moisture. It isn't TIME that causes it, its WATER.

Fourcam281 said:
Mine did the exact same thing. Put in new gas and cleaned the carbs and it runs perfect now.

Agree with those pointing to dirty carbs/idle circuits, had this situation rear it's head with my CB750 cycle. Erratic idle, twice I completely stripped and cleaned the carbs with an air compressor and can of carb clean; twice I failed to free the crud. On the third attempt I dunked all four in a gallon can of Gunk carb clean; the results was a spot on idle.

The choke is needing to be pulled (fuel enrichment) because the motor needs more fuel on the low end (idle jet territory). Sounds like the idle circuits are crudded up and preventing the proper amount of fuel to pass. After squeezing the throttle and moving into needle and main jet territory the motor clears up because the fouled idle jet circuits are no longer largely in play.

Well i took it apart..

Found 3 out of the 4 pilot jets were plugged..

Kinda what i figured..

THe stupid o rings were also shredded and swullen.. THose are not going back in..

I tried to ask my local shop this morning why they went to those bowls and could not tell me. My 05 with that set up is much more prone to carb problems than the ones running the old style bowls.

Your local shop didn't read the bulletins in 2003.
The longer main jet, o-ring, and float bowl were updates partway through 2003 to address MOUNTAIN applications where the sled operates at extreme angles. Keeps the mountain sleds from sucking on air when the skis are pointed at the sky.

Yamadog said:
I tried to ask my local shop this morning why they went to those bowls and could not tell me. My 05 with that set up is much more prone to carb problems than the ones running the old style bowls.

if you do not like them i have a set of jets tubes and fuel bowls from a 2003 i will trade you even for yours :-o

Back