• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RX Warrior not running right

Roadrider said:
I noticed in this thread you keep pulling the carbs
apart and finding them plugged again. Do you have
pond scum in the tank or are your fuel lines breaking
down inside from ethanol and plugging them?

Tank is clean no scum and now has new filters. I am never finding anything in the carbs, supposedly my buddy did but it hasn't run right since then either.

I put my buddies set of Stock carbs and airbox on and it runs great! Pulling RPM again (on the stand) and rev's nice and clean.

At least it is isolated to the carbs. Can someone please explain to me how the power jet circuit works? This seems to be the area to focus on. Jets themselves are very clean, I have sprayed the power jet area under wher the jet is located and soaked it in carb cleaner and blew it out with compressed air. It seemed that all the air was going around back to the bowls under the float (carbs flipped upside down)

Guy's,

After I had my buddy's carbs on and the sled ran fine I felt the problem was isolated to the carbs. I dissassembled the carbs again and injected all the ports with seafoam let them sit and blew them out until I was 100% sure the ports were clear and I could feel air blowing out of them. I also hooked up a vacuum cleaner to the engine side of the carbs and verified all the CV slides operated. Started the sled and let it warm up to normal operating temp and I still have the same problem. Idles perfect and if I give it any more than about 30-40% throttle it bogs and if I hold the throttle it will die.

Any ideas short of finding a set of used carbs and going back to stock? I'm all out of ideas... Very frustrating... :o|

Bill

There is something we are missing there are too many running this mod with no problems. Maybe try to cover up some holes in the bottom of your air box with duct tape. Maybe you opened it up too much for the 165 jets.

What makes this so frustrating is it ran good for a while. Then performance dimminished. Was able to get it back for a short while by cleaning the carbs and then it diminished again. I've cleaned these carbs so many times I know them like the back of my hand. I must be missing something. Haven't a clue what though. I even tried putting the carbs back to stock with a stock airbox and I couldn't get the bog to go away. The only thing I never could figure out is how the power circuit works. When i sprayed air in this jet it came out above the fuel level in the casting. I could never figure out how the fuel is delivered thru this circuit. Anyone know?

I have been having similar problems with my 04 warrior but also have an unstable idle. Have you checked your inlet needle and seats? Mine are worn and I believe sticking occasionally, its not my primary sled so it's been on the back burner. Float level worth checking too.

After reading all this I didn't notice any mention of the tiny screens inside the carbs above the needle/seat.I removed mine after they got gummed up years ago.I also put filters on the fuel lines.Makes no sense to me having filters inside the carbs.

Yes a lot of people don't know they are there, good point. Also the o-ring that is eaten by ethonol needs to be replaced on occasion too. The leaking o-ring causes higher float bowl levels, that can be a pain to sort out. That is why I replace all of the o-rings when I service the carbs.

Screens have been removed and cleaned, and soaked in seafoam and cleaned some more. Orings on the inlet needles are good. It is not flooding and pushing fuel out the vents. Float levels were all checked when cleaning and are all level and in spec.

I found a post on checking fuel bowl levels. I cut a piece of tubing and verified all the levels are even with the top of the bowl. All were the same and right where they should be. I tested for lean earlier by covering some of the holes in the airbox and moving the needles down, so i figured I might as well go the otherway too. I lowered the clips on the needles in all 4 carbs to the botom and tried it. Idled a little rough but as soon as you blip the throttle the same bog is there.

I'm going to source a used set of carbs... I don't know where else to go from here. This is spanning 3 winters now. I wanna ride :o|

Here is what I would try next take the carbs off. Then take the top caps off and replace the little o rings. Take the needles out and set them to stock. Next take the vacuum rubber bellows out and check them for cracks or tears. Now take the bowls off and take all the jets out and make sure they are clean. Now soak the carbs in carb cleaner for 24 hrs then blow air through every hole, nook and cranny. Soak them again for 24 hrs and blow air through every thing again and reasemble make sure to put the jets back in properly dont get the power and mains jets mixed up. Set your air screw to two turns out after a light seat. Lets hope this works and fixes the problem.

SMOKNZ,
Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I am having similar problems with my RX1 and was thinking that it may be an electrical issue. I have removed and cleaned my carbs and bypassed the TORS and it still stumbles and backfires above about 4K rpm. I was looking into new coil packs but thought I'd do a little research before I dropped the cash.

I had a problem with terrible backfiring and bog after I cleaned my carbs. As it turned out, the needle jet had fallen out of one of the carbs. If all 4 had fallen out, I would imagine it would cause the problem you are describing.

The needle jet is the little push in ring that goes into the body of the carb before the emulsion tube and main jet. You can see it sticking up in the throat of the carb. The needle drops into it.

Part number 22 on the diagram

Attachments

• CARBURETOR.png
    CARBURETOR.png
    129.5 KB · Views: 193

Back