• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RX1 BENDER TURBO HELP

1000 KEN

I just installed a bender turbo on my sled this weekend istarted it yesterday without the innercooler on ran good idle fin rev up good, installed inercooler sled idle fine but when i try to rev it up it starts spudering like its on a rev limiter, was i suposed to disconnect the tors or is the boost in the intercooler doing something with the fuel pump im going at this blind being i have no instruction for installing this kit. i have the fuel pump rulator line going to the intercooler. please help thanks ken

Sounds kinda like it's getting over fueled when revving up, so start there.
The rising rate FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) line should go to the underside of the intercooler / air box along with the vent line for the throttle diaphram caps.
The carb float bowl vents get T'd together with a line coming out the top of the pitot tube & jet that is in the front charge tube located right near the brake rotor.
That pitot tube (main jet in the bottom) is your AFR adjustment at WOT, via a controlled pressure differential / bleed...
Make sure you have these hooked up correctly first. Next make sure the carb floats are adjusted properly and not leaking.
Make sure the choke cable nd throttle cables are adjusted correctly.
We'll go from there, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience on here to help you out.

thanks mbarryracing it sounds like i have it hooked up right what would cause the over fueling is there a adjustment on that regulator this a kit i bought off the internet last week i have no instructions my brother and i installed with neither of us ever owning a turbo sled before .i have a boost guagedoes that go to the intercooler nipple above the carb boots. thanks again for the help i will look at sled tomorrow.

Start all over again from square 1, remove the intercooler and check the other things I mentioned, bypass the TORS, etc because odds are the FPR is not out of adjustment or was changed by the previous owner because it wouldn't have run right for him either, let alone even idle.
I haven't ever had to adjust one after the initial setup from Bender or FPP.
Besides, you'd have to actually build boost for the FPR to start to raise the fuel pressure to match, by the sounds of it you can't even get it to rev up, let alone load enough to build boost. I wouldn't waste time there right now.
You might have jarred or jammed something in the throttle linkage or choke linkage when you assembled the intercooler onto the carbs...

Typical spot to run the boost gauge is off the small nipple on the intercooler, as that is what the carbs are seeing (floats) and you tune to. You can put it at the carb boots but that pressure will read lower then at the intercooler because of the pressure drop thru the carbs.

At what rpm does the sputter start?
How high will your rpms go?

Over fueled or under aired, both possible at the same time. I once managed to leave a cotton rag inside the IC, needless to tell my sled didn't run any good at all. Max rpms was 5500 no matter what throttle position, it sounded like on the limiter at 5500.

new question, same issue. we went through the carbs and they're claen with the stock jets. i did disconnect the tors - no change. she does run good for a couple min. on a stand at a constant 6-7k rpm before breaking up and dying. when it died i pulled a plug and it looked like it was carbon fouled(black) but wasn't really huffing a cloud like a really rich condition would out the exhaust. i did the same with a fresh set of plugs and they remained snow white. how it acted it seems to me like it's running out of fuel under boost. when you run it w\out intercooler it runs fine, other than if you block the carge tube it'll blow fuel out the front of carbs (which it should i believe). With this being a used kit i'm wondering if these fuel pumps are known to go out on occasion. the sled the kit came from blew up, poss. lean cond.. soo i guess my big question is if these regulators or fuel pumps are known to go weak after so long. thanx ken

Ken,
how much boost is being made when it starts to stutter and miss? Do you have the fuel shut-offs along the left side of the hoop closed off? They need to be closed...

i'm speaking on kens behalf. fuel lines are closed to the mechanical pump- it's running on elec. pump., boost is unsure as the guage isn't hooked up yet- guage will be on tomorrow when it comes in. honestly figuring it's set for full boost which is 8 lbs so it should be at the 4-6lb range at that point being it's unloaded at 6500 instead of 10200 loaded though i could be wrong

Yikes!
FYI on boost 101, we know you guys might be new to boost so rule of thumb is never run a boosted sled during initial setup (or anytime) without a boost gauge...
Good reason is something could be installed wrong, or go wrong, or in Ken's case being a used kit you never know what the previous owner did and could have had it setup in drag race mode at 18 lbs boost, so then when you go out on the first ride and wack the throttle WFO you could come back with a broken engine.
Assume NOTHING, because that it gets expensive real friggin quick.
ALWAYS run fresh gas too!

See what the boost is at, if anything at all. We'll go from there.
Also if you are trying it out on a jackstand, most won't build boost because there is not enough load just spinning the track so don't be surprised if you don't see boost if your doing that.

m barry is it possble that may be the problem that running itt on a stand is not building boost so the preasure is not getting to the carb and it is starving the carbs after a few minutes of running it,I figured it was the safest way if run it on the snow or grass and it goes lean i probably will toast it.I sorry for all the questions.

Ken, no problem on the questions, that is what makes this forum one of the best, how I learned...

It should rev up and run correctly on the jackstand, not any different AFR then on the ground. It should run the correct AFR on or off boost...
BTW, you can toast and engine on the jackstand too, little harder but still possible.

Don't assume it's lean, let's prove it.
If it is lean, then theoretically running it with the choke on should improve things abit like we do on 2-strokes to narrow things down.
Try that.

Also verify you have good fuel flow and fuel supply... don't have a clogged filter in the tank or a loose fitting sucking air, etc. Is there sufficient gas level in the tank? Keep in mind that the fuel demand of an engine under boost is more then NA, could be on the cusp of barely enough...

M BARRY DO YOU THINK I SHOULD PUT A FUEL PRESSURE GUAGE IN LINE AND SEE IF THE PRESSURE FALLS OFF OR SHOULD I TRY RUNNING IT ON THE GRASS AND QUIT RUNNING IT ON THE STAND MAYBE ITS FINE WHEN IT ON THE GROUND WHEN ITS UNDER A LOAD. I WILL INSTALL BOOST GUAGE & WATER TEMP I SEE ENOUGH TURBO SLEDS AROUND THIS CANT BE SOMETHING MAJOR I WILL KEEP IT TOUCH , THANKS AGAIN

It's usually always something simple and small.
No, it must rev up to the clutch shift RPM on the jackstand before you even ride it... don't waste your time, you could hurt the motor.
Get the boost gauge on it first.

Are you trying to rev it up when it's cold or up to full operating temp?

Back