• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RX1 Engine Troubles

Hotrodder

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2005 Yamaha RX-1 ER
Hey guys, I just finished fixing my heat exchanger and now my engine won't run right. I had the rear end lifted up in the air for a while so that might've done it. Anyways I went to start it up after I put every thing back together and I couldn't get it to fire. So I put a little bit of gas in the carbs and it stared right up but it jumped to 3000 rpm and I can't get it to idle down or rev up. The throttle does absolutely nothing neither does the choke. It just sits at 3000 rpm and there's nothing I can do to change it. Has anyone heard of this?

Sounds like air leak from a carb boot.

I just took it apart and made sure everything was seated right and it didn't seem to make a difference. I noticed too that it sounds weird too, Ill see if I can upload a video later today

Today I looked into it and thought it would be the TORS sensor acting up. So I bypassed it and started it and it took off going wide open, luckily my flailing arm hit the kill switch before I flew off the back. I took the airbox off and checked the throttle butterfly to see that it's closed and moves with the throttle cable just like it should. How is it possibly staying wide open?

all the carb slides are not sticking? those carbs have a butterfly as well as a vaccume operated slide on them.

the slides are down, and I pushed them up to look at the butterfly and the butterfly is closed and moves with the throttle like it should

sounding like you have a vac leak in the carb area. all the hoses on correctly and ports plugged that are supposed to be?

I looked over every thing as carefully as I could and I can't see anything unhooked. I even looked up a schematic of the carburetor to see where everything goes and it looks fine to me

fire it up on the stand and cover the carbs with your hands to see if it is one or all doing it. did you have the diaphram caps off? orings might be out of place.

I did not have the diaphram caps off, but I will check the carbs

take them off and check the orings and diaphrams. that might be the problem as they might have rotted/dried out.

Thanks maim for the help. It ended up being something gummed up in the throttle cable. It doesn’t make sense to me how it could be that because the butterfly was doing what it should but I was wiggling on the linkage because I was out of possibilities and something clicked and it idled right down and now it runs good. I’ve been riding it all day

It might be a good idea to put a tether kill switch on that baby.

Ken............

Back