• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

s1dw1nd3r1480's 2011 Nytro XTX Backcountry Build

Couldn't resist taking it for a spin around the yard

Only good thing ski-doo makes. A fuel can ;):D

Picked up a cheap chunk of aluminum angle and thought I'd try using the reflector mounts to mount the LinQ jerry can

Well it worked but not as well as I would liked. The reflector mounts allow more flex than I would like so it is on to plan B which I know will work

Decided to put some RSI gel wrap grips on. They feel much more comfortable.

Was able to pick up some aluminum c-channel after work ($6 at Lowe's) and make second attempt at getting a nice sturdy mount for the LinQ jerry can. Thanks to sloan188 for the idea

Test fitting to make sure the holes are in the correct location.

Fab went well and it fits great, surprisingly very easy to do.

10 minutes later its bolted securely to the tunnel

Worked out perfect. Couldn't be happier with it. I'm glad I choose this can instead of any others on the market. Only thing that would be better than this is the trail tank but that was out of the budget. This was 1/3 of the cost

Not sure I'm ok with the can saying Ski-Doo though :yam:

Sled looks great, good job. ;)!

Curious how those Gel Grips will work with the handle bar warmers though?

Just wondering if the heat will transfer through them to your hands?

Irv - I'll let you know when I get some ride time in. To be honest I usually wear thin gloves and hardly use my warmers cause my hands are already sweating usually. Only use them on trails. Last season I went through two sets of warmers because the stock grips would move enough and break my elements giving me a code on the dash. Warranty replaced everything both times but I wasn't happy with the grips so removed them to put the gel on. They feel great and are rock solid in place. Just from running it on the lift for a short time I can feel the heat with my bare hand but it's 50 out right now as well.

Your going to really like the gel grips! Put them on last year, have no problem feeling the heat through them. I also wear thinner gloves and it works perfect. Makes the handlebar thicker too so its easier to hang on and more comfortable. Only downside is they are soft and might need to replace every season or two.....

The gas tank looks great too, good work ;)!

Thanks for the info, riding dirtbikes all the time I am no stranger to changing grips frequently. I've learned the good grips wear out quicker. And being tape should be a pretty easy replacement when needed. And at only $20 I'm ok with replacing midseason if I had to. I can't wait to ride as these grips should answer some frustrations of mine last season.

As for the tank - Thanks, I am super happy how it turned out. Big thanks to sloan188 for posting his up earlier this fall. Until that post I was gunna go with the old style rev can but this is really the best way to go and looks good.

Added another Yamaha to the family and the build. Andy's 2010 Nytro MTX with a MCX 180 turbo. Definitely making for a good backcountry season this year

TY strikes again as I got a great deal on a brand new PCV PTI fuel programmer. Perfect unit for me as it won't limit my future performance mods

PCV PTI installed, autotune and O2 sensor yet to come

Thanks again to TY I got another great deal, picked up the autotune very lightly used for a great deal. I'm not sure if it will get installed before the season takes off though. First trip is 2 weeks away

Was finally able to get ahold if some caps for my bumper. Got them a touch smaller than the pipe so hopefully they won't catch brush and trees and be pulled out this time

With another Nytro in the shop and Nick having success making tube boards for his Ski-Doo we decided to make our own as well

More of the fabrication process.

A little delay to the boards as the trailer needs new bushings before the first trip

Sleds are back apart for now as Andy's needed the oil change and the new Avid drivers installed and thanks to another good deal time to put extrovert drivers on mine as well

Andy's old drivers off ready to install the Avid ones

New drivers pressed on

Ready to press my old drivers off and new Wahls 8t extroverts on

Drive shaft bearings on the clutch side. Mine is on the left with just the seal taken off and Andy's is on the right after cleaning it. These both have under 3000 miles and were dry.

All freshly packed with grease ready to go

My extroverts pressed on and ready to install

There it is ready to ride again. At least until I'm ready to install running boards and the autotune O2 sensor

Unfortunately I found out that the CR10EK plugs are easier to foul in cold charting situations and with not being able to run the sled outside if the lift they fouled. I'll try another set after the first trip. Until then the stock ones are back in

Not a lot of snow here yet but enough to test the sleds out

Hey just wondering what the dimensions on the c channel for your gas can install are? The rest of your build looks really good, Good Job! :Rockon:

It's magna flow muffler with center outlet and off center inlet. Not sure the exact number right now. Came from a member here on TY. LEE337. As for sound it is not overly loud but is louder than stock. It's got a real deep throaty sound that sounds real cocky when your hard in the throttle. I love it and don't think it should get too much attention. It's not obnoxious like lots of two strokes out there

Shop sure gets cramped when the trailer is in there.

Autotune is installed

O2 sensor bung ready to be welded

All welded up

Ready to reinstall exhaust

And the frequent connecting of laptop and tuning begins.

Stayed near Bear Trap at The Log Cabin Retreat. One of the best places I have stayed. Wish we could have got more riding in during this trip.

First trip into some backcountry and everything is working well

Not very often we have had a sled tore down like this on a trip but I assure you it looks worse than it is. Sled dropped a cylinder on the trip back from Grand Marais and to access plugs or throttle bodies trail tank must be removed. Found a cracked vaccuum line but after giving up in the cold and waiting for to look more at home found out it was simply the ecu plug with a bad connection in the turbo harness. Always check the simple things first.

Took a break from the sled to install HIDs in my truck. Need to address some wiring issues when the weather is warmer but works great right now

All the parts needed for my filter mod

Needed to make spacers for the K&N filters to be able to clamp to the stock intake boots

Stock intake boots removed from stock air box

Close up of the machined grove to allow them to clamp tightly and seal to the boots

Filters ready to be installed

Filters are in there somewhere lol

Another trying to show the filters. Will get better pictures the next time the sled is opened up in the daylight

Finally got to see a wild elk up near Wolverine.

Just one of the meadows we stopped in. Some of the best riding we have had yet and couldn't be happier with the mods on the sled and how well they are working

Its a little hill but it was one of the few spots we stopped long enough to take some pictures. Can't wait to find more hills and trees to ride this season. I need to move west haha

What is the secret to getting those stupid boot clamps on. #3 and #2 are a real pain in the #*$&@ to get to, I even took the 4 bolts off the radiator, but #3 is almost impossible to get a hex in there and get it done right.

Seeing as this is the intake, I need to make 100% sure its seated correctly.

Lots of choice words, multiple beers, multiple tries, and a little bit of luck. And even with all that I'm still concerned about it. With that said my factory boots weren't even on tight to begin with so I used a chain zip tie system to secure the filters from moving to minimize any possibility of them coming off. I am going on a short trip this weekend and will watch them closely for now and see how it goes. I was able to get all clamps to tighten till they bottomed but may take them back off and grind down the spacers a bit so they can tighten more. Needless to say I'm gunna try and baby it this weekend to test.

Well here is my update to the mountings of the filters. After a good half of day of riding the center one fell off. After some choice words and a couple minutes of tinkering I got it back on and was able to limp home to revaluate. What i found is that when the boots got hot they get quite slippery. Even with the spacers removed from the clamps and the clamps completely bottomed out they did not adequately hold the boot on. I chose to use some hose clamps which seemed to hold the boots more snug without having to tighten the clamps as much. Along with this I used some scraps in the tool box and some zip ties to make a bracket off the old air box mount to hold the filters secure from moving. So far this is working much better however tomorrow will be the real test when I get it back out and hot playing in the deep stuff.

Got a good deal on brand new take off Pro Taper bars from a '13 Pro RMK. Just needed to order a set of hooks for them.

Test fitting. The feel is almost perfect. Perfect height and no riser added.

Got the throttle block mounted. Maxed out the cable but seems to work at full turn. Will likely get a MTX cable just for the added slack. Just need to reroute the brake lines and wire up the grip heaters.

Got the hooks installed and the bars done. They feel great in the Nytro

Back