• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

saddle bags

yamadog07

Expert
i have seen some "fully waterproof" saddle bags on the market.
"gear" brand
is anyone tried them & will they mount o.k on apex/attak without damaging the rear paint.
any other suggestions for a quality bag that works on attak. really looking for fully waterproof this time round.

Attachments

• saddlebag.jpg
    saddlebag.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 131

I have them, just like the picture, I have not used yet. I got then on the advice of Sleddheadd who did a > 1000 miles trip. He had the Yamaha bag and his wife the Gears and felt the Gears were far superior, Everything dry and held more. I saw them on the trip and he loved them.

Yamadoo

they are Gears zero-b and I believe you can buy them at Dennis Kirk, cost should be around $60 or $70? just as Mark described, they are nice bags! lots of room and fully waterproof. They are just like canoe bags. If I had a better year at work I would be getting a set of these for myself and selling the Yamaha bags but I need to wait till next year.

Attachments

• IMG_0600 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0600 (Small).JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0606 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0606 (Small).JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0602 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0602 (Small).JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 111
It sure seems like you should cover the plastic exhaust covers with duct tape to protect them from rubbing. I don't own these, but they look like they would rub.

I thought the same danq but others have said no rub, I still may put some wide painters masking just to be careful

Yamadoo

Dont know how much room you need but here is something I use. It allows you to remove the pack in seconds and use it as a regular backpack. Works great if not taking the kitchen sink along and is protected + waterproof even in a roll and deep snow situation.

Attachments

• PICT0369.JPG
    PICT0369.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 115
  • PICT0376.JPG
    PICT0376.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 135
  • PICT0370.JPG
    PICT0370.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 124
markddapexgt said:
Dont know how much room you need but here is something I use. It allows you to remove the pack in seconds and use it as a regular backpack. Works great if not taking the kitchen sink along and is protected + waterproof even in a roll and deep snow situation.

What do you use for securing the carabiners to the rear bar? I cannot quite make it out in the pictures. I have Coldwave saddlebags and the exhaust melted the staps securing them to the rear bar. Your method doesn't look like it will go up in flames.

these gear bags look to hold way more than the sport combo, is this the case?? If so they look like a purchase I have to make in the future. Anyone know the answer to this?

Tycho998 said:
markddapexgt said:

What do you use for securing the carabiners to the rear bar? I cannot quite make it out in the pictures. I have Coldwave saddlebags and the exhaust melted the staps securing them to the rear bar. Your method doesn't look like it will go up in flames.

Yes I had the same problem with the nylon straps I installed first time. Melted right off!!
The solution was to Rivet 2 cleats to the rear bar then I connected the bag to the carabiner using aluminium cable tensioners - buy them at any hardware store -with an eye at each end. To stop the tensioner from vibrating loose I slid over a slightly long piece of clear plastic pipe so that all you need to do to tension is to twist the centreand it stays there. It looks neater too.. Sled is in the trailer and its too cold to go out in the PJ's!!! but I will post a close up for you later this morning.

Here are some pix that might show this better. The tensioners are very light and wont rust = choose the one with an eye rather than a hook. You can open up the eye with pliers then close it once hooked up - saves a link.

Attachments

• PICT0388.JPG
    PICT0388.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 118
  • PICT0389.JPG
    PICT0389.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 118
Okay I never thought about the bags or straps rubbing on the exhaust. I want to mount a old pair of saddlebags (the kind the straps go over the seat and the bags hang down on each side of the seat and then tightens at bottom of the bag to the frame) What would be best to protect the exhaust pipes from the rubbing of the bags and still cost effective? :Rockon:

If the straps are in any way behind the exaust they will get the heat from them and melt so you would need to go to something heatproof like the ones I installed. I think the total cost for making them was about $8.
If the straps are going over the sides of the exaust and dont get any heat I have used the soft side of self adhesive velcro and also neoprene strap protectores that you can buy at any outdoor outfitters. I prefer the velcro because if you use the industrial type you can stick the opposite side in places that dont show to make the whole thing more secure.

Back