• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

sd_42 error and a ton more miles on odometer.??

John Leo

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder BT-X
Hello all,
I have a 2017 Yamaha Sidewinder B-TX that had 980 miles on it before my ride today(I have proof because I just picked it up yesterday from the dealer after having a warranty reverse actuator installed(miles and date are on my copy of the repair order). I noticed a bit into my ride that the gauge was reading sd_42 error and promptly stopped to google search it. I obviously came up with the fault(vehicle speed sensor) and started to look around under the hood/side panels for anything obvious. I didn’t see anything and the sled was running fine so I decided that I would put the body work back on and finish out the day. I got back on the sled/ready to go again and it was just then I noticed that the black strip in the chain case had come off and was sitting in front of my foot. I zip tied it out of the way for the rest of my ride and when I got home I checked online and happened to see that this isn’t all that uncommon of an issue on these sleds. Others suggested putting a small amount of silicone on it(around the edges like the factory does) and re-mount it. I did just that and the code was no longer reading on the dash so I was pleased it was an easy fix.

Here is the kicker, the sled now reads 2100 miles on the odometer! I can’t for the life of me understand how/why it is displaying that many miles! And I did triple check to make sure it was set/displaying the odometer in miles, not kilometers. Anyone else had this issue as well?

Thanks,
-John

Attachments

• 4928AB7D-95E6-49F2-B032-FFB3D784B8A7.jpeg
    4928AB7D-95E6-49F2-B032-FFB3D784B8A7.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 223

I'm pretty sure thats what happens when that sensor comes off. It sucks for sure and I dont know if there is any that you can do about it.

Back