• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Second Sled

My Dad is due for a new machine. He tried the 900T this winter and he didn't like it compared to his SW. He said it didn't handle as nice, and it had heavier steering.

Personally, it I were looking for a sled to sit in the garage next to my SW, it would be a 600 2 stroke with the best shock package available. A 600XRS, 6000R-XC, or a 600XCR.
Or how about a ZR 6000r SX !
IMG_5691.JPG

My friend who has a Sidewinder XTX rode our other friends 900 turbo back to back. After riding the 900 turbo, he asked the other guy (jokingly) if the 900 turbo had a "super sport" mode. Knowing that "sport" is the highest mode on the doo. Needless to say, stock for stock, the doo doesn't hold a candle to the winder. And in the Doos defense, it's not intended to.

My Dad is due for a new machine. He tried the 900T this winter and he didn't like it compared to his SW. He said it didn't handle as nice, and it had heavier steering.

Personally, it I were looking for a sled to sit in the garage next to my SW, it would be a 600 2 stroke with the best shock package available. A 600XRS, 6000R-XC, or a 600XCR.

Did you ride the 900T? If so, thoughts? Why would you go the 600 route? I get the “what” but I really want to know the “why.” Thanks!

My friend who has a Sidewinder XTX rode our other friends 900 turbo back to back. After riding the 900 turbo, he asked the other guy (jokingly) if the 900 turbo had a "super sport" mode. Knowing that "sport" is the highest mode on the doo. Needless to say, stock for stock, the doo doesn't hold a candle to the winder. And in the Doos defense, it's not intended to.

What is Doo’s answer to the Winder? For that matter, what is Poo’s answer? Or is Yam/Cat just so far ahead in the power/speed category that it’s not even close? I’m by no means looking for a replacement, but I would like to sample the best of another manufacturer as a second sled and new offseason project. I only trail ride, and I like snappy, arm-tearing acceleration. Can you get that with a tuned 900T? TD’s tune video sure looks like it...

Did you ride the 900T? If so, thoughts? Why would you go the 600 route? I get the “what” but I really want to know the “why.” Thanks!

I did not. I have ridden the 900 N/A. The front suspension leaves a lot to be desired when the trails get rough.

Our trails are very twisty. A 600 would be fun around here.

What is Doo’s answer to the Winder? For that matter, what is Poo’s answer? Or is Yam/Cat just so far ahead in the power/speed category that it’s not even close? I’m by no means looking for a replacement, but I would like to sample the best of another manufacturer as a second sled and new offseason project. I only trail ride, and I like snappy, arm-tearing acceleration. Can you get that with a tuned 900T? TD’s tune video sure looks like it...

I think based on what your looking for, trail sled, snappy, arm tearing acceleration (nothing will come close to the Winder) but something different, you should go with either Poo or Doo 850.
Proper suspension setup, some clutching & they are a really quick sled. It would give you the best of both worlds, an absolute beast 4S that will challenge your grip strength & a light, quick go-cart like 2S.
Where its a second sled you should be able to keep the mileage down some on the 2S, plus they both have great warranty.
I think you'll get bored with the 900T even if its tuned, at the end of the day its still a boosted 4S, it will feel different to drive but not necessarily better & it won't feel a lot lighter like an 850 would. I just think you'll be able to go from the Winder to the 850 & still have fun because its a completely different experience.

Doo has no answer to the Winder. You could put a turbo on a 1200 and have an answer power wise, but it’s not going to be in the same league handling and ride wise.

Even tuned, the 900t does not have the acceleration of the winder, not even close. I’ve tuned and ridden them and they are quite tame, they give you a happy speedo gauge however and make it seem like it’s fast, the problem is it’s not actually fast, too me it’s too tame and the front end is not up to par. I consider myself a Doo guy but the 900t is a limp, wimpy noodle. That engine is not a good candidate for boost, the 1200 is and now was, but you still have the chassis which is lacking behind the Cat. I’ll take the cat.

"the 900t is a limp, wimpy noodle."

Knapp, very well said and a fine choice of words to concisely sum up that sled.

Reminds me of a gentleman I caught up to on the trail a few weeks ago. He was riding a 900t and was going too slow for me to derive any enjoyment. We exited the treeline and we proceeded to cross a huge field. I wanted to get by him and continue at an enjoyable pace, but I didn't want to be a rude prick and barrel past him. So.... I followed close in hopes that he would see me in his mirror and let me by. A moment later, I saw him look in his rear view mirror and acknowledge that I was there, but rather than let me by, he sped up.

We eventually came up to a road crossing and when he stopped, I pulled up alongside in an effort to cordially let him know I was there. Rather than be cordial and let me by, he proceeded across the road and turned up the wick again.

We entered a huge field with a big lefthand sweeper. I was 1/3 throttle probably 80mph and watched him wrestle with that POS and try and hold a line in the trail. The winder held a line effortlessly, albeit with cat skis and snowtrackers. I could have held the bars with my right hand and sipped a glass of wine with my left. I felt sorry for the fool.

When the trail straightened out and it was safe, I pulled slowly alongside as to not be rude and slowly started to pass. As I pulled alongside, I saw the fool tuck behind the windshield in an attempt to harness what little mph he had left.

I thought, "Man....I'm trying to be polite here, but this fool just doesn't get it." As I shook my head in disgust, the SRX let out a mighty growl, and instantaneously, several hundred rampaging ponies were unleashed. The SRX left that anemic 900t like it was tied to a pole. As I entered the treeline he was nothing but a memory.

IMO, if you already own a tuned winder, you have the best sled money can buy. You will be hardpressed to find a second sled that will bring you any joy.

Last edited:
I've ridden my bro's TD Tuned 900T a few times this year. He had a 2019 and now a tuned 2020. It's a fun sled and has good power, but no where near a tuned winder. He has his suspension set up great. Light steering and can be playful over every bump and lifts the skis as ease. Nice rear end suspension that takes the big moguls nice. Few things I didn't like. First, the front end is no where near as stable and predictable as our winders. Second, the electronic throttle sucks! Even on Standard mode, it is so damn touchy. One cannot hold a constant RPM on that thing and just cruise. My bro and my other buddy cannot ride theirs in Sport mode, as it is way worse and harder to control the throttle...so they just drive it in Standard mode. When trails get rough, he switches to Eco mode. Third, definitely turbo lag or some other type of delay with the throttle....then all of a sudden goes right into boost. Just doesn't feel as smooth and linear as a winder with much quicker throttle response.

I have not ridden any of the newer 600's or 850's from Doo or Poo so can't comment on those. I'm sure they are very nice sleds and would be fun to drive in tight twisties.

my sidewinder is my second sled. nytro is still my primary because I hate walking home to get the nytro so I can tow the winder

I would not replace the Winder. I would just get a second sled that is kind at the other end of the spectrum. I agree that my Winder is the best, most fun sled I have ever owned.

"the 900t is a limp, wimpy noodle."

Knapp, very well said and a fine choice of words to concisely sum up that sled.

Reminds me of a gentleman I caught up to on the trail a few weeks ago. He was riding a 900t and was going too slow for me to derive any enjoyment. We exited the treeline and we proceeded to cross a huge field. I wanted to get by him and continue at an enjoyable pace, but I didn't want to be a rude prick and barrel past him. So.... I followed close in hopes that he would see me in his mirror and let me by. A moment later, I saw him look in his rear view mirror and acknowledge that I was there, but rather than let me by, he sped up.

We eventually came up to a road crossing and when he stopped, I pulled up alongside in an effort to cordially let him know I was there. Rather than be cordinal and let me by, he proceeded across the road and turned up the wick again.

We entered a huge field with a big lefthand sweeper. I was 1/3 throttle probably 80mph and watched him wrestle with that POS and try and hold a line in the trail. The winder held a line effortlessly, albeit with cat skis and snowtrackers. I could have held the bars with my right hand and sipped a glass of wine with my left. I felt sorry for the fool.

When the trail straightened out and it was safe, I pulled slowly alongside as to not be rude and slowly started to pass. As I pulled alongside, I saw the fool tuck behind the windshield in an attempt to harness what little mph he had left.

I thought, "Man....I'm trying to be polite here, but this fool just doesn't get it." As I shook my head in disgust, the SRX let out a mighty growl, and instantaneously, seveal hundred rampaging ponies were unleashed. The SRX left that anemic 900t like it was tied to a pole. As I entered the treeline he was nothing but a memory.

IMO, if you already own a tuned winder, you have the best sled money can buy. You will be hardpressed to find a second sled that will bring you any joy.

That’s a great story Fleec! A true testament to the Winders power when tuned.
It’s also a great example of courtesy we are so desperately in need of these days. I understand that we all want our trails too be safe, I have no love for those who ride out of control, endangering me and themselves. I will say that I like to ride fast, but do it responsibly.
More often than not I’m coming across this same senario where folks are riding slower than myself and see me in their mirrors. They do not pull over but in fact purposely ride in the middle of the trail or even weave back and forth to prevent me from passing. Many are tenacious in their goal and miles go by....Other times the riders in the back will let us by only to have the leading sled do a 100% full on throttle pull just as your coming behind them.
:dunno:
I usually get past within a corner or two (Big turbo helps) but my riding partners sometimes have trouble getting around or even get flipped the bird. I’m not sure of the logic here?
My advice to people with small brains and big egos is if you can’t handle getting passed, pull over and let them by.
(Option #2 is get a Winder ;)!)

PS. At the point in time when you saw me and pinned the flipper what were you thinking?

That’s a great story Fleec! A true testament to the Winders power when tuned.
It’s also a great example of courtesy we are so desperately in need of these days. I understand that we all want our trails too be safe, I have no love for those who ride out of control, endangering me and themselves. I will say that I like to ride fast, but do it responsibly.
More often than not I’m coming across this same senario where folks are riding slower than myself and see me in their mirrors. They do not pull over but in fact purposely ride in the middle of the trail or even weave back and forth to prevent me from passing. Many are tenacious in their goal and miles go by....Other times the riders in the back will let us by only to have the leading sled do a 100% full on throttle pull just as your coming behind them.
I usually get past within a corner or two (Big turbo helps) but my riding partners sometimes have trouble getting around or even get flipped the bird. I’m not sure of the logic here?
My advice to people with small brains and big egos is if you can’t handle getting passed, pull over and let them by.
(Option #2 is get a Winder ;)!)

PS. At the point in time when you saw me and pinned the flipper what were you thinking?
Sounds like the slow rider meant GAME ON , by pinning it !!!
Have you ever heard the saying "DON'T BRING A KNIFE TO A GUN FIGHT" ?

had it happen last year. friend and I followed a group of 10 or so going slow for many miles. they stopped to read a map at an intersection and blocked us from going around. we finally just blew by all of them. 2 of them chased us down for miles, so we finally pulled over and stopped to let them by. they stopped couple hundred yards past us and we all waited 10 minutes for the rest of their group to catch up. then we passed them again. always an attitude, I try to never pass unless it is courteous. I find that large groups often feel the place is there's

I've worked on several 900t (flashed a bunch, did gear changes, track changes, maintenance installed clutch kits....) and I have to say they are well built! Alll the ones I played with have been flawless and reliable. Around 220hp is max with bigger injector!
How does the tuned 900 turbo compare to a stock sidewinder for mid range and top end?

Last edited:

Back