• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Secondary spring

78srx02

Veteran
Country
USA
Has anyone had any luck with a different secondary spring yet? I have thunder products kit in the primary. A 35/39 helix, cat rollers, machined spring pocket and have lost 3 belts in 1000 miles. Still looks like the stock spring coil binds. I can ride it all day in the woods beating on it with cool clutches and no issues. As soon as I try to make a speed run on a lake, I snap the belt. Even then, the clutches aren't hot and show no signs of slipping the belt. Starting to drive me nuts as the last time I blew a belt on a Yamaha was in 2006 lol...

Go back to factory stock. Do you still blow belts? Everybody I have talked to say the factory secondary setup is pretty good!

In stock form it was worse. Clutches are much cooler with the aftermarket weights. Stock belt made it 180 miles

Check your offset and make sure the 8jp's get heat cycled a few times before really leaning on er.

If they snap....try a 8DN for test, its longer.....if it does not snap then you will know something is holding back secondary.

Dan

i recall early on someone was putting cameras in the clutch bay? did they hold up? if we could get a repeat belt blower videoed we may pinpoint why.

i recall early on someone was putting cameras in the clutch bay? did they hold up? if we could get a repeat belt blower videoed we may pinpoint why.

That was me and I wish I would have put my camera on the winder this weekend as I blew my 2nd belt now. 1,037 miles (about 500 miles on this one).

But I know why mine blew.....I was testing new weights this weekend and on my last test pass...the belt blew. Actually, was cut by the primary when the belt went over the sheaves at 130mph GPS Friday on trail 49 in the UP. Conditions were groomed, flat hardpack with 1-2 inches of fluffy snow on top. Incredible hook up!!! Time to re-gear

Back