• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Service/ Maint suggestions?

TC Rides

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 Yamaha Apex GT
Hey all,

I just brought home a new-to-me 2007 Apex GT, and need some advice. Obviously not riding until next season and hoped you all could point me to the service I should do to the sled. It is fairly clean with 8,100 miles. I live just north of Chicago, and have the sled at home. It will probably be kept in Eagle River, WI during the riding season. I can do most of the work myself, but don't want to do anything during the season except ride it.

I greatly appreciate your thoughts & suggestions.

The To-do list so far.....

Engine oil change & air filter clean
Chaincase oil
Spark plugs
Shock rebuild (sending them to Goodwin I think).
Repack all the idler wheel bearings
Install GPS mount & wiring
Front end bushings? (I don't know much about this)
Carbides probably
Exhaust donuts are starting to leak (obvious when running)

What am I missing?

Thanks a ton,

-Tim
IMG_3738.JPG

Hey all,

I just brought home a new-to-me 2007 Apex GT, and need some advice. Obviously not riding until next season and hoped you all could point me to the service I should do to the sled. It is fairly clean with 8,100 miles. I live just north of Chicago, and have the sled at home. It will probably be kept in Eagle River, WI during the riding season. I can do most of the work myself, but don't want to do anything during the season except ride it.

I greatly appreciate your thoughts & suggestions.

The To-do list so far.....

Engine oil change & air filter clean
Chaincase oil
Spark plugs
Shock rebuild (sending them to Goodwin I think).
Repack all the idler wheel bearings
Install GPS mount & wiring
Front end bushings? (I don't know much about this)
Carbides probably
Exhaust donuts are starting to leak (obvious when running)

What am I missing?

Thanks a ton,

-TimView attachment 148505
Clean&inspect both clutches,replace antifreeze,check chaincase chain tension,regrease upper jackshaft bearing behind secondary clutch,regrease or replace driveshaft bearing (I would replace if history is unknown)front-end needs to be jacked in the air to check front-end bushings (look for excessive play)use clear spray grease on steering shaft bushings &shaft/ball socket ends.drain fuel system&run engine til out of fuel&then put in 1-10 gals non ethanol fuel&restart &run (unless already done)check slide wear&suspension bushings,check track tension

Monitor that piece of aluminum that your flap is riveted to. It's obvious that the studs have done their job on the flap (which is no big deal)

But after a few years of ripping it up, the aluminum will tear up top. On my 07 with studs, I ended up drilling the rivets out of that piece of aluminum and replacing it. Then replacing the flap. It held it's distance from the studs and minimized further damage. You just don't want that metal ripping and flinging your flap down the trail into someone else. For now, you can bend it out to keep your flap out of the studs.

Good luck!

BrotherDan & Biffdotorg, thanks a ton for your suggestions. Looking forward to getting into this project.

Does anyone have suggestions on where to source parts? Obviously, some parts are better OEM, but I am not constrained to working with only one vendor/ dealer.

Thanks again,

-Tim

going to depend on what part you need at the time. I would also suggest hid lights.

Thor452, another good suggestion!! Its taking longer to find the parts and a good place to order them than it is to install them! if you have a link to a HID setup or bulbs and feeling like sharing, it would be appreciated !!

RoczToyz.com
Trail Jamz, Power Supplies, Yama-Heater, HID LIghts & Communicators.
/* "); //]]> /* ]]> */
best there is anywhere right here on this site too.

Get HID kit from Rock. He’s a member and a vender on TY. Great guy to do business with and always helpful. I believe his web site is yamaheaters.com.

BrotherDan & Biffdotorg, thanks a ton for your suggestions. Looking forward to getting into this project.

Does anyone have suggestions on where to source parts? Obviously, some parts are better OEM, but I am not constrained to working with only one vendor/ dealer.

Thanks again,

-Tim
Call Kevin at Port Yamaha for all your parts needs, great guy/dealer to work with.

RoczToyz.com
Trail Jamz, Power Supplies, Yama-Heater, HID LIghts & Communicators.
/* "); //]]> /* ]]> */
best there is anywhere right here on this site too.
x2 ;)!

Thor, Yamajon, 03RX1, Biff...

Good advice form everyone. I've started ordering normal wear & maint parts, and also have a set of Rocz's HIDs in the mail that should be arriving any day now!

Now if I could figure out some kind of stand I would be all set. I need to pull the shocks to send to Canondale, and get the front end apart to check bushings, etc. Also, gotta get exhaust donuts going and tune everything while I have it all apart (I would prefer not to have a "I should have replaced xxx while it was all apart" in November and take everything apart again.

Thanks again to all !!

Go with the copper exhaust doughnuts! Travis at BOP can help on that also.

Back