• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Should the cogs within the track have freeplay?

MitchRS

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
09 RS Venture GT
I decided to change my cogs while I have everything apart due to replacing all of the bearings on the drive shafts and chain case.

I noticed that there's a bit of side to side freeplay when you line up the cogs/driveshaft within the track. Is that normal or should there be no play at all?

Thanks

I decided to change my cogs while I have everything apart due to replacing all of the bearings on the drive shafts and chain case.

I noticed that there's a bit of side to side freeplay when you line up the cogs/driveshaft within the track. Is that normal or should there be no play at all?

Thanks

Yes there should be side to side free play with cog and window in track.

Thanks
When you say cogs im assuming you had new drivers pressed on your driveshaft?( yamaha calls them wheel sprockets) you may have a little play side to side to allow for track alignment,the drivers do not fit really tight in the track windows

Yes there should be side to side free play with cog and window in track.
Thank you, good to know. My cogs wore out a little strangely so I need to see what caused it.

When you say cogs im assuming you had new drivers pressed on your driveshaft?( yamaha calls them wheel sprockets) you may have a little play side to side to allow for track alignment,the drivers do not fit really tight in the track windows
I haven't yet, I'm going to do then myself. I'm attempting to press the old ones out today if I'm successful, I do not have a press so I'm going to Jimmy-rig one.

20240330_113537.jpg
20240330_113530.jpg

Wow! Those are super worn!I’ve never seen any that bad, Be very careful pressing those off& the new ones on,pressing can be dangerous & those sprockets take quite a bit of force to remove & install, take good measurements before disassembly,I would check your track really well & make sure you don’t have any bent or missing track clips,

Mark where they are on the shaft.
Take them all off and turn them around.
Note that the arrows have to line up.
When pressing on and off you must press on the hub close to the shaft.

Wow! Those are super worn!I’ve never seen any that bad, Be very careful pressing those off& the new ones on,pressing can be dangerous & those sprockets take quite a bit of force to remove & install, take good measurements before disassembly,I would check your track really well & make sure you don’t have any bent or missing track clips,
Yeah they are pretty worn and they only have 24,000 km's on em... I bought the sled with 23,000 km's on it.

I took a few measurements and wrote them all down. Ill make sure to check the track.
Mark where they are on the shaft.
Take them all off and turn them around.
Note that the arrows have to line up.
When pressing on and off you must press on the hub close to the shaft.
I bought new cogs so I won't be using these again.

I would check your track really well & make sure you don’t have any bent or missing track clips,
I went over my track and it's in good condition, all the clips are in place and not bent so that's good.

24k I'd say you got your monies worth.

depends how much snirt it was ridden in. i have had one at 20000 km that was almost the same as that. it got swapped out to smaller extoverts as it went to 151" track from 136".

depends how much snirt it was ridden in. i have had one at 20000 km that was almost the same as that. it got swapped out to smaller extoverts as it went to 151" track from 136".
I haven't driven in any snirt but the previous owner probably did. I wish I would have done more research before buying this particular sled and gone over it better. it's needed so much work.

I haven't driven in any snirt but the previous owner probably did. I wish I would have done more research before buying this particular sled and gone over it better. it's needed so much work.
Any sled with that kind of miles on it is going to need work. It will be worth it. If it was a 2 stroke it probably would have had 3 top end rebuilds by now.

i have seen a rubber tire wear through a steel hanger and a pitman arm on transports and the tire was still good.

Back