• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder B-TX, problems with a gearbox, please help

I'm guessing you need a new actuator. Go to the regular Sidewinder thread and dig thru to SD-08/Reverse problem threads. You describe my experience closely. I pulled the thing apart, found the metal gear, cleaned and regreased it but it didn't work. Took to dealer due to warranty and they replaced it. I keep a spare one at camp with sled.
I guess you’re right and buying a new actuator would be a relatively cheap solving of my problem.
Snowmobiling season here will be over in a month, which is approximately a delivery time of spare parts from USA to Russia.

I guess you’re right and buying a new actuator would be a relatively cheap solving of my problem.
Snowmobiling season here will be over in a month, which is approximately a delivery time of spare parts from USA to Russia.
Hence the mechanical/manual idea. Could probably do with a multitool.

I'm guessing you need a new actuator. Go to the regular Sidewinder thread and dig thru to SD-08/Reverse problem threads. You describe my experience closely. I pulled the thing apart, found the metal gear, cleaned and regreased it but it didn't work. Took to dealer due to warranty and they replaced it. I keep a spare one at camp with sled.
Hey ActionJack, I’m having this issue as well, just want to confirm this is the part you replaced to fix the issue?
7C08224A-FA39-46D6-B60F-359523ED3B01.jpeg

Thanks again. That part fixed the Sd_08 reverse error. The local dealer actually found they had a new version of this part so hopefully they fixed whatever caused it to break last time. New model number is 8JP-G616A-20 if anyone is curious!

Thanks again. That part fixed the Sd_08 reverse error. The local dealer actually found they had a new version of this part so hopefully they fixed whatever caused it to break last time. New model number is 8JP-G616A-20 if anyone is curious!
Good news that solved your problem. I think generally that actuator is just crap. I've read about them having corrosion on the connections, stripped plastic gear that can be "re-clocked" to use good teeth on opposite side and seen videos of people taking the actuator apart and regreasing them with success. Mine did not have the plastic gears nor the corrosion but did seem to have a grey pasty grease that was sticky. Mine was replaced under warranty.

Yeah I think I had the same as you. Metal gear and no signs of corrosion or anything but that sticky grey paste. Nice when your snowmobile fix is a simple little easy to replace part like that haha. Part was $245 CAD but I’m happy it’s fixed.

I’ve had three different servo motors fail on three different sleds that i currently own. What I found works to revive them is pull the electric motor off by removing the four screw put it in a vise and put power to it. You have to give it a twist to kick start it. Sometimes a bunch of twists. Once it get going let it run for a couple minutes then reverse power to and run in that direction for a bit. It seems once it get polished up it works fine. Like. I said I’ve done three of these this way and they all continue to work just fine. On the last one I didn’t like that past so I added some air tool oil in the gear area (the thinnest oil I had on the bench ) I didn’t think it was going to work on the last one but it did.
All three of these failed motors were if the fall when putting sled into service

PS: I do have a new one in my pile of spare parts that I have not had to use yet. Probably have to give it a kick start spin to get it to work it’s been in standby mode for three years LoL

I’ve had three different servo motors fail on three different sleds that i currently own. What I found works to revive them is pull the electric motor off by removing the four screw put it in a vise and put power to it. You have to give it a twist to kick start it. Sometimes a bunch of twists. Once it get going let it run for a couple minutes then reverse power to and run in that direction for a bit. It seems once it get polished up it works fine. Like. I said I’ve done three of these this way and they all continue to work just fine. On the last one I didn’t like that past so I added some air tool oil in the gear area (the thinnest oil I had on the bench ) I didn’t think it was going to work on the last one but it did.
All three of these failed motors were if the fall when putting sled into service

PS: I do have a new one in my pile of spare parts that I have not had to use yet. Probably have to give it a kick start spin to get it to work it’s been in standby mode for three years LoL
Thanks for the tip ill try that next time if it happens, the one I bought is a V2 part so hope fully they made some modification to improve longevity.

My take on what happened to all three of mine is that the brushes or armature get glazed over and need to be polished.

Back