• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SideWinder BTX-LE and Viper BTX-LE Same features.

I wouldn't be too worried, The Phazer radiator got plugged because its HOT and the snow instantly turns to sticky slush when it hits it. I don't really see the intercooler even getting warm enough to "slushify" the snow, the turbo should only be raising ambient around 20-25*f at the boost levels this mill is probably pushing. With that said, even with the intercooler plugged it won't effect power output that much since we are only talking about a 20*f temperature difference which is MAYBE a 2% loss of HP.

Not talking about icing / slushified snow but rather inability of air to flow across the cooler. Not to harp but the charge air cooler plays a very important role in development of power for turbo charged engines - especially in high strung "electronic" engines in which many variables are combined to develop the fuel map. Not such a big issue with mechanically controlled controlled engines but much is being made of the sidewinder's ECM being able to monitor / control so much based on engine sensor data. Once one item is out of the set parameter then all goes to pot pretty quickly i.e. less fuel injected .... Looks like a great engine but I will be surprised if this forum isn't ablaze in a year's time with a bunch of owners looking for a "solution" to allow air to flow freely over the cooler.

As for the phazers I've had 5 to date and all had similar issue of snow blocking the rad in powder conditions + in real good pow the air box would also tend to choke off and cause the engine to stall once off the throttle ... wait a few minutes for the engine heat to thaw the air box and it would fire up again. Not an issue on hard pack but definitely an issue in powder when running hard.

Not talking about icing / slushified snow but rather inability of air to flow across the cooler. Not to harp but the charge air cooler plays a very important role in development of power for turbo charged engines - especially in high strung "electronic" engines in which many variables are combined to develop the fuel map. Not such a big issue with mechanically controlled controlled engines but much is being made of the sidewinder's ECM being able to monitor / control so much based on engine sensor data. Once one item is out of the set parameter then all goes to pot pretty quickly i.e. less fuel injected .... Looks like a great engine but I will be surprised if this forum isn't ablaze in a year's time with a bunch of owners looking for a "solution" to allow air to flow freely over the cooler.

As for the phazers I've had 5 to date and all had similar issue of snow blocking the rad in powder conditions + in real good pow the air box would also tend to choke off and cause the engine to stall once off the throttle ... wait a few minutes for the engine heat to thaw the air box and it would fire up again. Not an issue on hard pack but definitely an issue in powder when running hard.
X2 ...stated perfectly

We sure have a lot of engineers on this site lately..LOL
Funny thing when people make ASSumptions about what another person's occupation is ....
Perhaps you can enlighten us as to your background before you cast aspersions ... I'm more than comfortable with mine .....

Funny thing when people make ASSumptions about what another person's occupation is ....
Perhaps you can enlighten us as to your background before you cast aspersions ... I'm more than comfortable with mine .....

I have 2 degrees.. one in Mechanical Design and one in Industrial Engineering Technology. I have 25+ year working on Yamaha snowmobiles, I have 13 year running TY, that I run and manage on my own (With moderators of Course).. do I need to give you more?? You just seem to have all the answers and it makes me laugh how one can redesign the sled and find all the faults before its even out on the market.

11181217_1178270618871720_4719766342607027055_n.jpg

Maybe a thread should be started where we all can share our educational & occupational backgrounds in an effort to minimize the pissing matches when advise and opinions are shared...I come here to sample the technical side of the sport. The problems, repairs, and modifications. Bickering can be found at other forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In stock form the intercooler should be fine. The engine is built with low compression and is running low boost. I could most likely survive with out an intercooler. I realize that I am no expert but after running turbo 4 strokes for 13 years in nothing but deep snow I don't think it will be an issue.

So you want to know how much space is left on the tunnel
Yes I'm wondering if I can mount 2 mountain addiction bags/gas cans on with the factory bag that comes behind the seat?

Back