• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder diff to apex clutch ?

THEPASMAN

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder LTX LE
The clutch on the left I both picks is a older apex clutch
The new one in pic is one o order for a viper and the old looking one on the right is original 2017 sidewinder clutch

Looking and measuring and comparing I can’t see any diff other than the set screws
what am I missing

Attachments

• D88AF641-224A-4FDC-90AC-4ACF0FEEB2DB.jpeg
    D88AF641-224A-4FDC-90AC-4ACF0FEEB2DB.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 116
  • DDC76F1B-16D0-490E-9010-856C70DFEE41.jpeg
    DDC76F1B-16D0-490E-9010-856C70DFEE41.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 117

Sidewinder clutch the arms and rollers sit on on a larger circle than the old clutch.

There are other differences in added webbing to the winder primary. Along with what should be a stronger spider on the Winder.

In reality the old primary has proven to be stronger and more consistent with very much improved belt and roller life. I couldn't keep rollers in the winder primary, and belt life was dismal at best with the big tunes. Old RX-1 Primary fixed all of the issues.

I went through the same thing with rollers and belts till I changed to the apex clutch. When my stub shaft broke last spring I thought I’d go to the TAPP but i decided that I didn’t want to start over and throw out all my notes and knowledge on tuning the Yamaha clutch’s. I order an apex clutch complete and trying to determine if I actually got an apex clutch. I didn’t realize that only the earlier apex clutch has the extra set screws. I’d like to know where I can measure the clutch’s to determine that the older one I have is indeed my old sidewinder clutch. There’s an off chance I lost track and it is indeed a apex clutch without set screws. All three clutch’s I have on the bench appear to be the same every where I can think of measuring. I do have a 22 winder I could measure but it not readily available any info on this would be greatly appreciated

Brent

Also can a the spider with set screws be install in an newer apex clutch that does not have them or into a sidewinder clutch possibly

If you really want to you can drill and tap the spider where they normally are, not a big deal.

Without climbing into my shop attic to look at the clutches in parts heaven if my memory serves me right the apex clutches have a slider on the spider and the SW clutch has buttons.
The fixed sheave diameter is the same on both clutches but the weight pins for the SW clutch are further out on the sliding sheave.

The clutch on the left I both picks is a older apex clutch
The new one in pic is one o order for a viper and the old looking one on the right is original 2017 sidewinder clutch

Looking and measuring and comparing I can’t see any diff other than the set screws
what am I missing
The pictures you have don't show any sidewinder clutches, these are previous style Yamaha clutches. Not Sidewinder clutches.

Thanks
Do you see a benefit to the older style with the set screws I have your anti rattle washers already

Thanks
Do you see a benefit to the older style with the set screws I have your anti rattle washers already

Earlier style compared to the Sidewinder clutch...yes. To me the Sidewinder clutch should be recalled...LOL

As far as earlier clutches from having the set screws compared to not having the set screws....no. Now that we sell the anti-rattle/anti-movement washers, the clutches are the same.

How much additional weight are you guys adding when going from Winder to Apex primary with factory tune?

Is there anything to be gained by using an Apex clutch over the stock clutch performance wise? Is there a top end mph gain at all?

I dont know about a true performance gain, but this is what i noticed on adding a 240 hp ss tune, installed apex clutch with thunder orange spring, heavy hitters and 911 cover dialed it in to 8950 rpm worked great, apoun normal weekly inspection i noticed cracks between puck towers, so pulled it and transfered all mentioned parts over to winder clutch and dialed it in, diffrence that struck me was how much better the apex clutch engine braked, and it seemed to apply power much cleaner and smoother, as soon as my repaired apex was back in my hands it was back on sled....like it better than my tapp clutch on my riot.

I dont know about a true performance gain, but this is what i noticed on adding a 240 hp ss tune, installed apex clutch with thunder orange spring, heavy hitters and 911 cover dialed it in to 8950 rpm worked great, apoun normal weekly inspection i noticed cracks between puck towers, so pulled it and transfered all mentioned parts over to winder clutch and dialed it in, diffrence that struck me was how much better the apex clutch engine braked, and it seemed to apply power much cleaner and smoother, as soon as my repaired apex was back in my hands it was back on sled....like it better than my tapp clutch on my riot.
What Year Apex clutch are the ones to look for?

Back