• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder helix

Stock, thunder and ulmer rollers all acted the same for me. Hi torques rolled the best by a long shot but they throw a bit of a wrench into things. If you have a setup that works on other rollers it likely wont work as well with high torques and vice versa. Needed quite a bit more spring pressure so its proof that they really work. Chased my tail a bit last winter till I realized what was going on.

I forgot these on the list. They were awesome on the old cat 2 roller secondary! They drop your RPM? I tried them and they seemed to drop my rpm 200-300,, ?
I installed them with 0 miles on the sled so I dont have a comparison.

I installed them with 0 miles on the sled so I dont have a comparison.
They are a great roller. They acted differently then a plastic(composite) roller as it was the only thing I changed. RPM seemed slightly down and they felt less responsive IMO. I prefer the STM rollers. I tried thunder, Cat, Hi torque, and STM.

Hi-Torque IMO are the best, and there the only rollers I'll run. They last what seems forever and roll very easily. They doo change your current clutch setup however to a lower RPM and need compensated for. Typically needs a bit more wrap on the secondary spring or a bit less helix, which will actually make for a better more responsive backshift as well, but they do upshift much easier, thus the need to change to more spring preload or a little less helix. Thats why we run rollers now anyway instead for buttons right, for better and quicker up and down shifts.

I tried the stock rollers VS. the Hi -Torque rollers in my clutch press/scale and they definitely make the clutch operation smoother, easier. This was proven by the lower numbers I saw throughout the travel and crack pressure.

This is my thinking
The lower RPM of the Hi-Torque rollers proves they are a smoother working roller.
The lower RPM vs stock rollers shows the clutch is opening faster. It is upshifting faster.
The sled is getting into high gear quicker. Provided the motor can pull it, this should mean quicker acceleration.
I put these rollers in from new so I will set my clutch's up to them BUT if I was to change them in a known set up and lost 200-300 RPM I think I would just take @1 gram out of my primary weights to gain my RPM back. Lighter weight===better throttle response. win win

Of course this all looks good on paper ( in my feeble mind) but doesn't mean jack-squat until tested on the snow.

This is my thinking
The lower RPM of the Hi-Torque rollers proves they are a smoother working roller.
The lower RPM vs stock rollers shows the clutch is opening faster. It is upshifting faster.
The sled is getting into high gear quicker. Provided the motor can pull it, this should mean quicker acceleration.
I put these rollers in from new so I will set my clutch's up to them BUT if I was to change them in a known set up and lost 200-300 RPM I think I would just take @1 gram out of my primary weights to gain my RPM back. Lighter weight===better throttle response. win win

Of course this all looks good on paper ( in my feeble mind) but doesn't mean jack-squat until tested on the snow.

You've nailed it Rich. Spot on.

In MotoGP, the HEAVIEST rider on the entire grid is the same weight as me!
It's a hot topic right now in that series and World Superbike.
They don't use combined weight, just a minimum bike weight.
Alvero Bautista won the WSBK series, he only weighs about 120lbs.
Lighter is quicker off the line for sure ! We used a 100lb woman back in the day for grass drags. Her light weight was worth a couple of tenths in 500ft compared to one of the guys. Once she learned how to leave on the last yellow, she was dangerous as a driver.

Back