• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Best helix setup?

MDGFLHR

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2011 Apex SE
I'm currently running a Dalton 41/35 blk/org at 70 with dalton weights and blk/blu primary spring running Max Spool 17. I know some really like the 39/35 reverse helix. I recently picked up a dalton one. Wondering how others have setup with 39/35 reverse helix and spring? What differences between these two helix angles performance wise? Still learning about clutching so any info is greatly appreciated. I also have a blk/grn dalton primary spring I know that will raise my engagement some but top rpms should be similar due to the very close finish. Thanks and everyone ride safe. Headed to the County next weekend for some big mileage days if anyone is gonna be up near Ft Kent or surrounding areas let me know.

First off a 39/35 is not a reverse helix. if it were a 35/39, then it would be a reverse angle. I'm running a 45/33 and although i'm making a little heat i don't care because it rips your arms off. I have tried so many combinations over the past year and liked many, but none have put the HP to the track like the one i'm running now. I tune with a TD GPS.

Sorry my mistake it is a 35/39 reverse helix. I tried out a 33/35 reverse with TP orange sprind at 3-3 and it turned my sled into a belt blower when I was stock and ditched it altogether. Think I may also try my Ulmer red secondary spring and see how it compares to the dalton blk/org.

You might want to try the Cat springs with that tune. The cat Red/White being the softest of the bunch then work your way up through the cat Green,EPI purple and Dalton cat White until you get the tension you need with your set up.

35/39 Dalton, Orange TPI primary and Secondary spring wrapped to 40 with stock weights. 1400 hard miles on a JP and it still looks perfect. Stock tune 60mm offset. Runs great and pulls 8800rpm. Also gets great fuel mileage with the reverse helix on the trail. Going with a tune next year so that could all change!

I'm running the 35/39 (Dalton) helix with TP orange primary and weights, and stock secondary spring wrapped at 6-1. This is on stock without a tune. It's a nice change over stock. RPM settles in between 87-8900.
I tried the TP secondary spring, but was not a fan. Made my clutches hotter, even without pinching the flipper. Just my experience.

Following as I am 6'5" tall and 300 pounds. I feel like it is a bit slow to spool up. The RPMs are low when cruising and when you punch it, it takes a moment. I thought a 39/35 would be better and quicker launching. My RPMs are also low WOT so I am going from STM's to Daltons and will adjust the weight to get me the right WOT RPM's. I did blow a belt while racing my friend but the belt and clutch temps are lower the rest of the time.

Following as I am 6'5" tall and 300 pounds. I feel like it is a bit slow to spool up. The RPMs are low when cruising and when you punch it, it takes a moment. I thought a 39/35 would be better and quicker launching. My RPMs are also low WOT so I am going from STM's to Daltons and will adjust the weight to get me the right WOT RPM's. I did blow a belt while racing my friend but the belt and clutch temps are lower the rest of the time.

I like to see around 8900 - 8950, give or take. No matter what clutch weights you try,aim for higher rpms, because after 1/2 hour on the trail they will drop 100 or so I find, and anything under that rpm just doesn’t cut it. The stock 35 is more responsive on low and mid, but not as smooth as my Dalton 35/39. Once WOT the 35 will add rpms compared to the 35/39 which helps keep the rpms in check. Those are the only two that I have played with.

What year cat springs will work with our Sidewinders? I may try the artic cat white secondary spring what wrap would you suggest with he 41/35 helix thanks Mark

I was thinking of trying a 39/35 as the 41 pulls hard but I think it just backshifts a bit slow but yes my RPMS need to go up
Try a primary spring with a higher finish rate for more back shift with the steeper helix.

What year cat springs will work with our Sidewinders? I may try the artic cat white secondary spring what wrap would you suggest with he 41/35 helix thanks Mark
Start out with the white spring wrapped 9-1. You can go up to 0-1 or all the way up to 3-0 of you need more wrap.

Is there a specific model year cat spring I need to use for the Sidewinder? Or anyone have a part number? Thanks Mark

Is there a specific model year cat spring I need to use for the Sidewinder? Or anyone have a part number? Thanks Mark

Let me save you a lot of time, money and grief. Put stock 35, dalton black orange 70-80 degrees. If your going to Fort Kent, you'll need lots of topend for those rr beds. Cant beat the 35 stock cam!!

I have best top end with my cat white over any other secondary spring. Tried them all. The dalton b/o it would just blow through the shift.

Back