• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder issues

Kellogg_kid

Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha sidewinder
We have a 2020 sidewinder and a 21 sidewinder. The last few rides have been below zero. During a ride, typically at speeds 70-80 mph for a fair distance it will at times act like the belt blows, lose power and basically stop with Reving up. We come to a stop, but it won’t go. Turn it off, wait a few minutes and it drives like nothing happened. Any clues what this could be? The last time, I pulled the side panel and could see the primary clutch engage the belt but it the sled won’t move

Most likely the top bushing in the chaincase needs replaced. Mileage?
We have a 2020 sidewinder and a 21 sidewinder. The last few rides have been below zero. During a ride, typically at speeds 70-80 mph for a fair distance it will at times act like the belt blows, lose power and basically stop with Reving up. We come to a stop, but it won’t go. Turn it off, wait a few minutes and it drives like nothing happened. Any clues what this could be? The last time, I pulled the side panel and could see the primary clutch engage the belt but it the sled won’t mov

Had something similar when running sustained speeds in the 70mph range. Belt had about 1000 miles on it and it was overheated. It felt like soft rubber and was getting stuck in secondary. Sled would feel like starting off in high gear and would not pull speed. Belt was folding from clutch pressure and being hot and soft. Grabbed my spare belt that was properly broken and rode home. Cleaned clutch faces with scotch brite and acetone as there was lots of black rubber on them. Never had problem since.

Sorry for hijacking this post, but I’ve never really used forums and have no idea how to start a new thread which is what I want to do… I just did an oil change (first), drained ALL oil and filled with 3 quarts which the manual said and it’s not even close to min line, then on the way home, idiot plow guys put huge uneven bank blocking trail, I hit it too slow and sled went on it’s side. Got her up, restarted, and now has sd 30 alarm… checked oil level after home, and still too low after sitting a few minutes. Added more oil, noticed vapour coming out fill hole and white around threads and on cap. Oil used was iPone 0W40 which seemed extremely thick for a 0… code still there after shutting off for a couple minutes. Added more oil and put her to bed till tomorrow. Am I missing something? Installed Precision EFI ez oil change too.

Attachments

• 4C454AEF-39C2-4362-AC74-E9EF756766D9.jpeg
    4C454AEF-39C2-4362-AC74-E9EF756766D9.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 88
Sorry for hijacking this post, but I’ve never really used forums and have no idea how to start a new thread which is what I want to do… I just did an oil change (first), drained ALL oil and filled with 3 quarts which the manual said and it’s not even close to min line, then on the way home, idiot plow guys put huge uneven bank blocking trail, I hit it too slow and sled went on it’s side. Got her up, restarted, and now has sd 30 alarm… checked oil level after home, and still too low after sitting a few minutes. Added more oil, noticed vapour coming out fill hole and white around threads and on cap. Oil used was iPone 0W40 which seemed extremely thick for a 0… code still there after shutting off for a couple minutes. Added more oil and put her to bed till tomorrow. Am I missing something? Installed Precision EFI ez oil change too.

Go to the top of the site where it says Forums (1), click on that, a list of forums will show up, scroll down to the forum you want to post in, in this case Sidewinder Trail Talk (2), click on that, at the top there will be an area (3) next to your avatar (the big K that is you). Start typing a thread topic in there "I need help with ,........ " or whatever, then in hte main body (4) type your actual message, then hit post (5).

1675391720111.png

Ok, a bit different on the app? Thank you, I’ll try to figure it out!

Following this, I had the exact same thing thing happen this weekend. Automatically thought it was something mechanical when it lost power. Restarted it and it ran flawlessly for 500kms. Obviously nothing mechanical but I have no idea what happened.

We have a 2020 sidewinder and a 21 sidewinder. The last few rides have been below zero. During a ride, typically at speeds 70-80 mph for a fair distance it will at times act like the belt blows, lose power and basically stop with Reving up. We come to a stop, but it won’t go. Turn it off, wait a few minutes and it drives like nothing happened. Any clues what this could be? The last time, I pulled the side panel and could see the primary clutch engage the belt but it the sled won’t move
Did you ever find a good explanation?

Have a friend with a stock SRX, 2300 miles going along fine at speed and then drops out, same deal. Stop, shut down, restart, fine for days....till it does it again....bad bushing.

Have a friend with a stock SRX, 2300 miles going along fine at speed and then drops out, same deal. Stop, shut down, restart, fine for days....till it does it again....bad bushing.
Doubt it, mine was new at the start of the season and my original was perfect at 14,000kms anyway. Must be ecu related I’m thinking.

Maybe not for you but I had the pleasure of replacing the gear on his with a better bushing, wear was obvious and has been great since.

Hmmm. I’m no expert but I do recall my buddy having a similar issue and it was the fuel pick ups in the tank.

Maybe deto, engine cutting back timing and saving motor, stop sled ,shut off restart everything ok, bad gas maybe

Hmmm. I’m no expert but I do recall my buddy having a similar issue and it was the fuel pick ups in the tank.
That makes most sense to me, I was full of fuel but it acted like it ran out. I think I’ll replace those just to do something. Thanks for sharing that.

That makes most sense to me, I was full of fuel but it acted like it ran out. I think I’ll replace those just to do something. Thanks for sharing that

Back