• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder sled lift - What do you guys like?

ROCKERDAN

OCD Sledhead
Country
Other
Snowmobile
'18 RTX 50th "Winder"
For years I have considered a sled lift but always got by without one. Not getting any younger though and it sure would be nice to work on the sled without the back breaking bending over for hours and hour. You guys know I am always working on something on my sleds, so I think this is one of those items that would be well used.

I have not seen alot of threads on them, and the ones I have seen seem to get mixed reviews. I have seen some cheaper ones on ebay/and google searching. Many of those get poor reviews too. What I keep reading in reviews is how the small hex knob where you crank it up(either with a drill or handle) tends to break off over time, and some saying it broke off very quickly. So a few people say they like the "winch" lift, which wont have that issue with the jack knob breaking off. But the one winch style by black ice, seems to be quite old school with a more flat top and no arms in back for a deeper tunnel taper like todays sleds.

Black Ice Winch Lift: Pretty cheap pricing, but no shipping in this price(add $50+)
upload_2017-10-8_9-39-16.png

upload_2017-10-8_9-35-20.png

PRINCESS AUTO LIFT:
This cheaper(on sale now too) lift at Princess Auto(Canada, so in CAd) Has some great reviews but several poor about the knob breaking. Heck of a deal when converted to USD.
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/750-lb-snowmobile-service-lift/A-p8328270e

upload_2017-10-8_9-25-12.png

The extreme max looks like it is decent:
Saw it a bit cheaper on ebay, but wheels are additional cost.
Clipboard01.jpg

upload_2017-10-8_9-42-8.png

I have found one or two on ebay where they are made by a local guy who seems to make them tougher, with a bully dog jack, so Im wondering if those bully dogs dont break and last longer at the knob.

I also wonder about these turbo sleds, being much heavier then older sleds and the deeper tunnel/taper...will need a strong lift for sure, and I definitely want wheel too. I see in Canada Princes Auto has one that gets mixed reviews, and its on sale making it alot cheaper then others(especially due to being in CAd.)

Here is the one that I feel is really decent at this point, 299 seems fair. Others are cheaper, some others are more...this SLEDJACKER is a local guy who makes them, and he has a video of it on Youtube too.

SLEDJACKER: I like this best overall so far. Got an email out to the builder now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SLEDJACKER-...1200-LB-SWIVEL-CASTERS-USA-MADE-/302138357172
upload_2017-10-8_9-28-28.png

SLEDJACKER: Great Video from the builder showing it in use(older cat)

So, can everyone please let me know what brand/type lift you have and how it fits and is working/lasting for you on your heavier Sidewinder/Viper chassie. All info would be much appreciated. Trying to get a consensus of what is good for a fair price without breaking the bank.

thanks
Dan

Last edited:

Just remember with that style lift, rear suspension removal is hard/impossible. I have had those style before.
I have this
https://www.nhproequip.com/pro-1200semax-motorcycle-atv-lift-package-free-shipping
The down side is that it difficult to move by yourself.
saved $100 by picking it up my self. I use a ceiling mounted winch to lift the sled to remove suspension parts. Cheaper versions can be had at harbor freight in the $300-$400 dollar range. I also have and work on bikes so I use it year round. Not having a lift sucks.

J&S jacks, air operated. The most stable jack out there
I looked at those, they are quite hi pricing correct? Is there one maybe a bit less? I think the ones I saw were 489 or higher. Id like to stay UNDER 300, and prefer even less but I dont want a real cheapey.

thanks for info.

I looked at those, they are quite hi pricing correct? Is there one maybe a bit less? I think the ones I saw were 489 or higher. Id like to stay UNDER 300, and prefer even less but I dont want a real cheapey.

thanks for info.
Hi Dan,

OMG I was just looking into these to funny. The one I found and like is by J&S Jacks

https://jsjacks.com/product/snowmobile-air-lift/

most of the others are really cheaply made that ive seen....mighty on here went through this...I told him you get what you pay for basically...Ive had cheaper ones too...I now have a J&S jack (not the air but the pump ) and couldn't be happier

Hi Dan,

OMG I was just looking into these to funny. The one I found and like is by J&S Jacks

https://jsjacks.com/product/snowmobile-air-lift/
The j&S jacks are nice for sure, the cheaper one is exact same design as my motorcycle lift, which works great still. But I really wanted to try to stay cheaper for this. Its not something that I must have the BEST, just something to be stable and wheels, and I am more worried about these reviews where the drill knob breaks off early and then you hear horror stories where guys cant get their sleds down! grrr.

So that is why that simple(cheaper) winch style sorta makes me think, it will last forever as its a simple cable winch, but the design of that is flat top, no front cross bar for under the bulkhead, so that would likely need to be modded or at least 2x4 blocks put under the backs as footwells are taper up deeper with newer sleds. The others all tend to have the flip up rubbers at rear or adjustable rubbers.

I do really like the 299 one from the local builder, just seems like all top notch parts, and thicker PCoating then others, and I would assume the bully dog jack is not gonna have the break knob issue like a cheaper jack.

Dan

I've been using the Princess auto one for about 10yrs, works great and gets the job done.
Ok this is what I need to hear....I did read MANY good reviews on the Princess Auto lift, but those few Horrible reviews have me freaked out about the knob breaking off.

The P.A Lift is actually a smoking deal right now, as its CAD & on SALE($189) too! Reg. price $269cad.(189cad=150usd only) I can whip across the border in 5 minutes w/my nexus pass and no lines to St Catharines only 20 mins from me here in Niagara NY.

Have you used it alot for your Sidewinder? How does it lay on there? Level? Does it hit the chaincase bottom bumpout? Just would love to hear how it fits our actual sleds....And does it handle the heavy weight of our SW ok? Wheels ect decent? Is your sled a LTX?

Just read more reviews, I guess you CANNOT use a drill on this at all? Only a handle. Grrr

thanks for info
Dan

Last edited:
most of the others are really cheaply made that ive seen....mighty on here went through this...I told him you get what you pay for basically...Ive had cheaper ones too...I now have a J&S jack (not the air but the pump ) and couldn't be happier
Thanks....Just still alot more then I really want to drop.

I just read all the negative reviews on the cheap PA lift, and those reviews are bad, although PA replaced them free of charge. I just think I want something at least that works and wont break.

I swear the winch lift at least cannot break(the jack) as its a simple able. And I know my bud has winch lift and it works same as always does. It likely would just need blocks or a mod which I can do.

I tend to keep leaning toward the SLEDJACKER as its a sledhead who builds them, not some chinese crap. Has the big bully dog jack which should be great, and he has the levelers and wheels. His video shows him moving it around.

32" seems higher though then many others, I almost wonder if that is too high? Or can you just not lift it fully and leave it lower if you want it lower? Or is that not good for it being angled back and not vertical?

There are a few others Ive googled too....like "Trick Lift" which looks nice, but cannot seem to find a seller of them....more a local guy.

I also wonder about the aluminum lift, many like it alot...more money...but lighter I would assume to move around.

I have to move mine twice per season with sled from cottage back to home if I want to use it here too, so lighter would be nice.

Decisions decisions.....

Ok this is what I need to hear....I did read MANY good reviews on the Princess Auto lift, but those few Horrible reviews have me freaked out about the knob breaking off.

The P.A Lift is actually a smoking deal right now, as its CAD & on SALE($189) too! Reg. price $269cad.(189cad=150usd only) I can whip across the border in 5 minutes w/my nexus pass and no lines to St Catharines only 20 mins from me here in Niagara NY.

Have you used it alot for your Sidewinder? How does it lay on there? Level? Does it hit the chaincase bottom bumpout? Just would love to hear how it fits our actual sleds....And does it handle the heavy weight of our SW ok? Wheels ect decent? Is your sled a LTX?

thanks for info
Dan
It holds the the Sidewinder just fine, no issues hitting the chaincase or brake dropouts, I use it a lot, and run the sled on it, but you will still have raise the back end for skid removal with skis on ground, ( I think this is the case with most stands ) just keep the crank lubed up, it's cheap but works. If you want the sled to be level on the stand those two pegs will need to be extended, I used pieces of wood drilled into the pegs, but be careful because it makes it front tippy, strap the rear down to the stand just in case. Like I said it is cheap, and even seems a little flimsy, it seems to tighten up with weight on it, and had no issues so far. It will work on longer sleds also (LTX).

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 785
couple more considerations....first is the weight of this machine and if the wheels and brackets can handle this weight with a buffer max load...with the j&s they are rated at 1200 lbs I think...also...with the angle of different tunnels the cheaper ones arent adjustable...so the sled doesnt sit level...and the brake and chaincase guard and how they could be affected by a particular design

It holds the the Sidewinder just fine, no issues hitting the chaincase or brake dropouts, I use it a lot, and run the sled on it, but you will still have raise the back end for skid removal with skis on ground, ( I think this is the case with most stands ) just keep the crank lubed up, it's cheap but works. If you want the sled to be level on the stand those two pegs will need to be extended, I used pieces of wood drilled into the pegs, but be careful because it makes it front tippy, strap the rear down to the stand just in case. Like I said it is cheap, and even seems a little flimsy, it seems to tighten up with weight on it, and had no issues so far. It will work on longer sleds also (LTX).
Thanks for all the great info, and I see you have an RTX too! Nice pics, thanks very much!

I look at this to be such a great deal, and would not expect it to be perfect by any means, so this is something I need to think about...big savings vs maybe more cost of heavier duty one. Its literally HALF the price(150 usd) of the sledjacker which I like alot at 299 shipped. I also like that even though some have given poor reviews of the knob breaking off, they all say PA replaced them without question, I know PA is good that way. Sorta like returns at Home depot, they just take all typically and never a concern.

I would worry maybe more about a local built one, where there is no way a small guy can give you stuff free like a big outfit like PA can. hmmmm

couple more considerations....first is the weight of this machine and if the wheels and brackets can handle this weight with a buffer max load...with the j&s they are rated at 1200 lbs I think...also...with the angle of different tunnels the cheaper ones arent adjustable...so the sled doesnt sit level...and the brake and chaincase guard and how they could be affected by a particular design
Yes all good things, and I have had these in mind.

I do think the PA is not as heavy duty, but I guess it comes down to cost vs quality ect...Sure I want the best, but at what cost. I dont have the kind of scratch many of you guys have laying around..haha And with the sled cost, plus all the mods I want, I really should be waiting on a lift altogether, but I know this fall/winter I will really be doing alot to the new ride, and this would be the time a lift would really be a help. Im less worried about using it for track/stud/rear skid work, then I am just about working up front....I remember removing Toms ECU, charge tubes ect ect...all that work up front bent over, grrrr....

Does anyone know the weights of these?

I think I saw a few weigh around 100lbs(steel)

So what Im wondering, is does anyone know weight of the Aluminum Models? I see Madsled has an alum nice lift and extreme max does too, you would think they would tout their lighweight design more, but could not find any weights on the Alum.

I have to move this back and forth into trail to cottage ect, so wondering if alum would be alot easier to move alot.

Back