• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder swaybar

I put the 12.7mm on my 2014 ZR9 LRX and it made a positive difference. My 2014 came with the 11.1mm version.

I put the 12.7mm on my 2014 ZR9 LRX and it made a positive difference. My 2014 came with the

I checked it out. From 2017 to 2022 all TCats and Sidewinders all came with the 12.7 mm sway bar. Even Cat's RR and Cross Country sleds.
Good deal. Wonder what Travis will come up with. A different steel can still be 12.7 diameter but have more torsional strength. Going to be interesting.

Good deal. Wonder what Travis will come up with. A different steel can still be 12.7 diameter but have more torsional strength. Going to be interesting.
The same tube OD but with thicker wall thickness of the tube would be stronger as well.

I broke mine, last ride of the season. Was going to wait and see what Travis came up with. Then decided to order a stock one, to have just in case. I placed an order and got an email back saying "Backordered (no current ETA)"
I wish him luck in sourcing materials.

Just got an email stating the manufacturer will start shipping swaybars August 19th.
Still hoping BOP will have something for this season, and keep the stock one for a spare.

Not sure you can put anything larger in the sway bar tube but something stiffer might be interesting. As an FYI, the stock ZR9LXR sway bar when the Suzuki engine was used is a smaller diameter. When I put the larger Tcat sway bar in, it made a difference in the sleds handling. Over the years we always used the biggest sway bar that fit in the tube on a heavy sled.

Sorry for late follow up on this. Finally got some metallurgy results on the stock bar today.

What do guys want? Stiffer? better durability? I am envisioning possibly a bar with adjustment settings.

Stiffer, as I typically like a soft front end, but less roll. The old 13mm bars on the rx1s and apex really worked well.

Since the 1990's I have used the largest sway bar Acat made. The larger sway bar typically found on their XC race sleds improves the handling of the sled making it feel more responsive. I will be testing the larger bar on my new Tcat during this winter. I want to ride it with the stock bar with the EPS then change it to the bigger bar. One thing to note on the bigger bar, it requires the bigger bushings as well. I think you could modify the stock bushing with a big round file since it's only a few millimeters, but buying new bushings is preferable so you can keep the stock ones with the stock bar and switch it back when you sell the sled and transfer the bigger bar to a new sled (with the same chassis). Not sure what other guys are looking for. Most guys I meet do not know about the differences in the sway bars that cat makes. For the record, I have never broke or wore out a sway bar. I am sure there is a limit to the stiffness of the bar but I could not tell you what the max should be from an engineering standpoint. I have found bigger is better but I don't where the law of diminishing returns applies.

A little roll I have found is what will transfer weight to the outside ski preventing it from pushing in the corners. I just don't see the need for a stiffer sway bar on the Winder at all, but I run a more lowered ride height too.

I tried a stiffer sway bar on the Apex as it was all the rage back then and hated it. It rode much rougher and pushed in every corner. Rode with it one day and went right back to the stock bar. And I thought the Apex had a huge amount of roll in the chassis with the stock bar too, where the Winder does not. That said, it really depends on ride height and weight of the driver too, so everyone is going to want something different. A small guy on lowered ride height doesn't need a larger sway bar, a larger more aggressive guy on a tall ride height might.

Back