• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder Temps

marc001

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha Apex SE 2017 Yamaha SideWinder LTX LE
What is everyone seeing for sled temps. Mine goes to around 175 around the yard and then when i shut it off then turn the key back on its 215 degrees.

What is everyone seeing for sled temps. Mine goes to around 175 around the yard and then when i shut it off then turn the key back on its 215 degrees.
That's normal. But any turbo machine avoid shutting off immediately after running hard. Let it idle for 1 minute at least... Let the Turbo and header cool down after running hard. Motor should stay under 210f when heat soaking.

W
That's normal. But any turbo machine avoid shutting off immediately after running hard. Let it idle for 1 minute at least... Let the Turbo and header cool down after running hard. Motor should stay under 210f when heat soaking.

Wasn't the Sidewinder designed so you didn't need to let it idle after riding? That is the information I have read in all communication from Yamaha.

W

Wasn't the Sidewinder designed so you didn't need to let it idle after riding? That is the information I have read in all communication from Yamaha.

Thats what we are told in the literature, but im sticking with my old ways of doing stuff. If i shut down one of our turbo diesel pieces of farm equipment without cooling her down my old man would, shove his boot somewhere no to pleasent. So old habits die hard. I like the idea of cooling the turbo down anyways.

Last edited:
W

Engineers have tested and decided it was safe to do so. However it is a 100% certainty that letting a header cool down a tad before shutting off is a good idea. You don't have to but it's better to do so.

When engine runs coolant circulates. The header reaches temps of up to 1000F and transfers heat into the head. The head is a huge heat sink and it cools down the header. However shut off the engine and no coolant circulates.
The heat from the header can make coolant boil near the header side of the head. Letting sled idle for a bit gives a chance to the header to cool down and the cooling system from the sled to take the heat away and prevent coolant from reaching boiling point.

Thanks for the tip. Good to know ! Probably not required if just trail riding.

Back