• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder trail gas range.

That’s good running. Don’t think I could have hit that milesge

Will have to see what next year brings. My last post was based on either hard icey snow or slush. Not ideal running.

Ms

Whenever I get a new sled I generally go for a ride with a second sled that is carrying extra fuel. Then I go the distance of the tank to see what kind of range the machine has. Gives me a general idea of range. Not real accurate but when on a tour, it helps me guage where to stop for refueling.

I went 133.5 miles and the sled was sputtering coming down the hill into the gas station. High speed Quebec trails. Hurricane 225-240-270 tune.

Stock motor Sidewinder
130 miles tops (Best I've mustered)
120 miles is very attainable in good conditions
100 miles I usually start lookin' for a place.
80 miles on my worst measured tank.
Pretty sure I went through a tank in 65 miles (at a cross country race, had a jug I put in so I don't know exactly)

Generally take less than most 2 strokes
Generally take more than BRP 4 strokes

Close to 15 on our Maine trip,average riding, not much wot. As a rule from my 8-10 mpg machz days, I pit under EVERY yellow, meaning EVERY gas station I see after 50 miles!! Unless I know we are looping back and gas stop is known.
I don't like economy runs! That's like grocery getting in a mclaren.

Last ride of the season, last leg of the last ride of the season. Stopped at a place called Shin Pond to get some lunch. Thought it was pretty close to where the truck and trailer was parked so we decided to just skip the gas thing!

As soon as we got back on the trail both of our low fuel Lights came on. Not sure about distance but it took us about 1/2 hour of pretty fast riding to get to our trailer, and we got there without any problem. Once there we shut off the sleds and prepared all for loading. Mine was parked with the nose pointing downhill a bit. My riding buddy said he thought his sputtered once, in the field just before the loading spot!

Went to start mine for loading and it started but stalled on 3 tries. Last try and it was done!!

Put a gallon of 87 in it so we could load it. Took quite a while to get the pump to pick up the gas. Could hear a click from the fuel pump relay but did not hear the pump pick up.
So I checked fuses and relays and found no problem. Put all back together and just jumped around on the sled while trying the ignition 2 or 3 more times until, voila, my buddy heard it pick up! Sure enough fired right up and we loaded it.

So we checked the mileage from last fill up.

Wow, 147 miles. No wonder!!

Usually would have filled up at Shin Pond, but we both decided this is it for the season and we did not want full tanks for storage reasons!

Both have Max Spool 16 / 3 bar tunes with 22 top tooth gears. These things run very strong and mileage ain’t too bad!

Side Note: we were cranking really good on that last leg also! Huh probably should say we were cranking pretty good all 3 days of our “bagging it trip”. 120 and over occurs many times during the day on those County trails!!!

Reactions: krm
That is very common stock ......and 14 to 14.5mpg for tuned 998s. Exact same as my Apex got many yrs ago, and darn close to my 12004tec. I call it darn good for so much more HP over all those previous rides.

Dan
15-16 mpg stock pretty much all the time

That is why.....

Most canadians use metric, which is done using liters.

Using Imperial/British for MPG can be deceiving since MPG is typically an american thing.

Dan

Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 11.12.36 AM.png

Dan hows the green lock tight holding out on the drive bearing?I was thinking about trying that this summer

Back