• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder vs thundercat

So that Rep said the mapping is different??? So many different stories from different Reps...what's true and what isn't?? Nobody seems to know for sure. Maybe that's the way they want it?

This particular rep seemed knowledgeable with my questions. Such as max boost and variable according to alt,. Cats clutch problems last year and the auto adjustment cat used. . He was basically selling me a sled without being a dealer keep in mind.

So I wonder if that's due to the Clutching of the Yamaha? Or is there Really a difference in the Mapping...contrary to what we have been told that there isn't any difference?

Well again I've ridden several of both modems yamacat and the cat with yamaha motor. In all three cases they were different. Cat feels smoother but if you hadn't ridden the other you would've really notice. As for throttle response that I'm my mind and why I had asked in case I bought the thunder cat instead wss would I need to flash it to get the sidewinder performance as seen in the link.

Im sure the mapping is identical! I know it is with my viper and zr 7000!! Just clutching is loyal to brand!

Well what a change from last year at this time. Many were wondering the opposite, why the cats seem to get better Dyno hp numbers then the Sidewinder. And the thought of different mapping on the ECUs were discussed on many threads.

History tells us that Cat does not take second place on many things, including hp and they always were willing to lead the pack with a faster more hp sled after others topped them, even if it meant cheap throwaway components to stay on top.
Yamaha has always had reliability 1st, so the ecu thing did have some weight behind it even though NOW we all know they were mapped the same! RUMORS, I have heard many with this sled, many speculate I guess.

Just my 2 cents, but my 2 cents have been around this sport since the 60s.

Where is proof for mapping?. I'm not a hear say fan. Like I listed in my thread, yamaha rep was at grass drags. Talked with him for like an hour about everything from 77 srx 440 to the sidewinder. Can you list the info please about we" all know about the same mapping. And where does that info officially come from

It comes from nowhere, just from reading for an entire year concerning which one puts out more hp.

I am sure cat or yami could change the flash if they wanted to allow dealers to upgrade because of problems much like Vipers. I would say there must have been an agreement by both parties in developing the stock flash.

Lots of dyno reports showing more hp both ways when they were new.

I could also tell you of some rumors that I had heard from reps last year. Just a lot of hype concerning the best motor in the business right now. I also am not a hear say fan, so I won’t.

But good luck with your research, I hope you find the truth about who has more hp or better mapping.

They both have the same mapping and HP at the end of the crankshaft. Both have been on DynoTech dyno and both within tenths of a HP throughout the powerband.
And that's what counts! I do know that there is a difference in programing since Cat requires code input at Point of sale and Cat also was able to program a wiped ECU in a Yamaha Viper in past. Winder uses a different system but Cats still have the P.O.S. code which none of the Yamahas have. It prevents normal operation of sled after so many hrs if code is not entered in a Cat.

Where is proof for mapping?. I'm not a hear say fan. Like I listed in my thread, yamaha rep was at grass drags. Talked with him for like an hour about everything from 77 srx 440 to the sidewinder. Can you list the info please about we" all know about the same mapping. And where does that info officially come from

Well whatever the differences are between the 2, I think you shall like that Yamaha. Good choice and CONGRATULATIONS on that new 50th anniversary! Very smooth and deceptive speed, and that suspension package with it’s simple adjustments make for the best Yamaha yet.

Back