• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder vs thundercat

Why would the Cat have a better suspension when they are both the same or am I wrong about that?

Exactly. I'm not buying the better suspension thing with the Cats. Buy the LE Winders and get the great Shocks...and the Cats aren't any better at all imo. I mean if you go with the RR in the Cat line up...you'll get some beefed up rails etc etc..but other than that model, to me I think they are the same in regards to the suspension.

As to why the SW is popular.....

Well, as I see the short history. Last season when the new turbo 998 was pre-released. Just about EVERYONE felt that the Yammie legendary history with cool clutches and great belt life would be the sled we all have dreamed of. While Cats history with the procross had gotten better slowly from 2012 debacle to the 15/16 models which I hear were pretty good, most felt that Yam clutches would be the ticket, and a new roller secondary to boot!

Well, fast forward after season one of the 998.....and you will find MANY MANY blown belt threads, and dozens of clutching threads and now replacement springs and rollers ect ect....While ironically, the CAT forums have had relatively little activity on blow belts or clutching.

Now, with that being said....is this simply because there were a TON more SW's sold in 17 then Cat 998s? Maybe, or is the clutching now BETTER on the cats, and is their belt which is priced like gold, superior to take the big HP? I think the jury is still out. Cat did recall their clutch last season too, and I believe they all get new primaries or at least much of the parts in in the primary, so Cat is being more proactive on their 998 IMO then Yam is. We here are all grabbing at our own fixes, and we hope we get it right, as YAM for 18 has made ZERO clutch changes(very disappointing)other then the roller update which was really in late 17. And even heard a guy say the new updated rollers are still no good.

So I wanted a 50th and wanted a Yam, and that is why I went this way...I have had great history with warranty from Yam, and a Horrible history of warranty from Cat, so that was a big factor for me. I tend to like to clutch all my sleds anyway , so the yam clutching is not bothering me too much, but ask me again at end of season. LOL

I would not hesitate to grab a Cat....it should work well IMO.

I don't believe the clutches on either are better than one another. The Yamaha's seem to have more OD. The Cat Team's have a really cool feature of 0 belt deflection so the low end is very solid. The Team's had some casting problems and belts ate through some of them. The lower bearing that allows the 0 deflection also failed in some. It's my understanding the recall fixes both issues.

As to why there were belt problems on the Yamaha's one word - power. Outside of a few guys, 99% of all Yamaha guys who touted long belt life have never had a 200 HP machine. You are using the same belt as an Apex with 50 or more less horsepower.

Even if the only difference between these two sleds was color I would hands down buy the yamaha. Simply because of the support from all the members helping each other. The knowledge one can pick up here is priceless!

X1000

I was undecided between an AC XF 9000 HC and the B-TX LE and this site made it a NO-BRAINER

I don't believe the clutches on either are better than one another. The Yamaha's seem to have more OD. The Cat Team's have a really cool feature of 0 belt deflection so the low end is very solid. The Team's had some casting problems and belts ate through some of them. The lower bearing that allows the 0 deflection also failed in some. It's my understanding the recall fixes both issues.

As to why there were belt problems on the Yamaha's one word - power. Outside of a few guys, 99% of all Yamaha guys who touted long belt life have never had a 200 HP machine. You are using the same belt as an Apex with 50 or more less horsepower.

I actually believe its the other way around. The Cat clutches have lots of overdrive, where the yamaha ones have almost none. Its not the power that was destroying the sidewinder belts either, my Nytro runs 250 hp on the trails, skis in the air everywhere I go, and belts still last 1500 kms or so before they start losing performance.

Also, different belt than an apex.

I actually believe its the other way around. The Cat clutches have lots of overdrive, where the yamaha ones have almost none. Its not the power that was destroying the sidewinder belts either, my Nytro runs 250 hp on the trails, skis in the air everywhere I go, and belts still last 1500 kms or so before they start losing performance.

Also, different belt than an apex.

You might be thinking old clutches.

These SW clutches now offer much more OD then prior Yam clutches. And the Cats apparently have less now.

You might be thinking old clutches.

These SW clutches now offer much more OD then prior Yam clutches. And the Cats apparently have less now.

Correct

The Cats are going thru a recall right now with the Team clutches.

There are so many variables that contribute to broken belts on the winder.
1- Coil bind on secondary (fixes - New Thunder Product orange secondary spring)
2- Wrong offset from factory (Check to see if yours is correct)
3- Gearing because now more power, you run out of gear faster (re-gear if you are looking for top mph)
4- Lots of tip weight and some that were full throttle, then off throttle and back to full throttle were breaking belts.
5- Poor clutching (Get a good clutch kit)

Well fingers crossed but i have a few people interested in my boosted viper!
In the mean time i decided to go with a non current sidewinder! Having a hard time finding a rtx le so i may have to settle with the se! Not to many dealer carry rtx most are 137 tracks!
Talked to a dealer today and found one for 16000 even out the door (canadian)
And 0% for 60mths

Well fingers crossed but i have a few people interested in my boosted viper!
In the mean time i decided to go with a non current sidewinder! Having a hard time finding a rtx le so i may have to settle with the se! Not to many dealer carry rtx most are 137 tracks!
Talked to a dealer today and found one for 16000 even out the door (canadian)
And 0% for 60mths
last spring I was checking out a RTX SE in North bay. It was a great deal too. Did you check there?

hard to beat the LE shocks though.

last spring I was checking out a RTX SE in North bay. It was a great deal too. Did you check there?

hard to beat the LE shocks though.
Yes carlson sports! He supposed to get back to me tomorrow with a price.
He said he was going to try to beat the price i got from the other dealer!

I just bought the 50th anniversary today. A snow checker dropped his chance so I picked it up. There are a few differences from yamaha to cat. The cat clutching I seen and ridden is smoother than yamaha. It has auto chain tensioner also. Cat seemed to be mapped inferior to the yamaha. the yamaha felt more powerful to me and even its owner ( 7000 cat) sleds were identical other than brand.

. As seen in the real world shoot outs Yamaha sidewinder beat the thunder cat everywhere. Not just every sled. I tried to upload pic of article of real world stats. Any hoot cat is great for the less aggressive rider. Smooth shifting, better standard suspension, just a little less joyful to ride power wise imho

I just bought the 50th anniversary today. A snow checker dropped his chance so I picked it up. There are a few differences from yamaha to cat. The cat clutching I seen and ridden is smoother than yamaha. It has auto chain tensioner also. Cat seemed to be mapped inferior to the yamaha. the yamaha felt more powerful to me and even its owner ( 7000 cat) sleds were identical other than brand.

. As seen in the real world shoot outs Yamaha sidewinder beat the thunder cat everywhere. Not just every sled. I tried to upload pic of article of real world stats. Any hoot cat is great for the less aggressive rider. Smooth shifting, better standard suspension, just a little less joyful to ride power wise imho

Well your LE 50th isn't going to have inferior suspension to the T Cat that's for sure.

I've heard the clutching is smoother, but the Yam clutches help it pull away also. We've ALL been told the mapping is the same. Can anyone verify if it is or isn't?

Yamaha rep I spoke with at grass drags suggested making clutching and chain box were different. Suspension also from each manu were exclusive to.

Back