• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Simmons Review.....Just put them on!

RTX Meirda

TY 4 Stroke Master
For those who are interested....here is my review of Simmons Skis that I just installed on my Apex RTX.

First of all...this is the first pair of aftermarket skis that I have purchased in all of my years of sledding.

I find that the suspensions are getting better every year and we just keep riding faster.

I had an RX1 last year and I managed to get 80% of the darting fixed.....but....I did not have much confidence in the outside corners at high speeds. (If there was loose snow) This caused my to ride more towards the center of the trail to give some room for error.

I have been riding my Apex with stock skis and carbides for 500 miles prior to installing the Simmons.

Here is what I noticed.

Pros.

1. Turns on a dime on icy or hard packed conditions.

2. Very stable feeling

3. Seemed to totally eliminate inside ski lift...call me crazy...I did not buy the for the reason...but...BONUS!!! Makes you way more confident!

Cons

1. Not too pretty

2. Noisy on ice due to the flexing ski handle (rattles away)

3. They do not shim properly. I installed a 1/4 inch shim under the rear of the ruber stopper....and it seems to bulge the rubber rather that tip the ski forward. (That being said....they do not dart at all so the must be working.

Conclusion:

The trails that I rode testerday...they worked AWESOME! Love them!

Question: For those who own them aleady, how do you find them on those high speed outside corners where the loose snow gets pushed?

I did not get the opportunity to try that condition yet.

My friend just put a pair of USI SPX on his Rev.....and after doing some major mods to them....he has them working good in ALL conditions.

I may go that route depending on the outcome of my Simmons.

simmons work as you described but will push in corners if you get aggressive.its just the nature of any dual runner or keel ski.you might like them depending on your riding style.the spx work very well also.i loved mine.

I've run USI, SLP, Simmons and SLYDOG(current ski). There all good skis, I like the Slydog best because of easy steering effort. The Simmons I rate last because of front end push in some conditions. I guess I just don't like the "feel" of dual runner skis. A personal preference, lots of people love them. studdog

apex yooper said:
How can they bite better on a turn, and have less ski lift? It should be the opposite.

I know.....really strange. Answer this one....how can a stock ski with stock carbides (almost none) have a ton of ski lift? You would think they would push like crazy!

Any one else notice this with the Simmons? Maybe just the conditions?

FYI if you but the SPX skis....remove some material from the bottom of the ski where the carbide sits so that the wear bar is recessed. Take all of the steering effort away and they still work awesome!

any ski is better than the stock ones.. Ive got mine working good because of the 13mm swaybar i added!

Nice honest report..

I agree with RTX meirda,,, the better the sleds get the harder we ride them and the more we notice push and ski lift..

Just an observaiton. But maybe with the wider footprint, carbide all the way on the outside of the ski, provides a more stable situation. Thus reducing inside ski lift. Even skidoo advertised a 47"+ wide ski stance when they used percisions.

YS

Slow down, I think some of the people that want to race on trails should go else where. To many close calls on the trails with people going to fast and out of control, wrong side of the trail around turns and no experince. Just my 2cts.

RTX Meirda said:
Anyone else have a comment about their Simmons?

It is, by FAR, the best thing I have done to a sled in a long, long time! It 100% cured my darting issues. It didn't increase my steering effort in any noticeable way. The sled goes where it is pointed in both soft snow and hard pack. I have not REALLY pushed the sled hard in tight and twisty conditions (which I don't like to ride in anyway) but even if the sled didn't repsond too well in those conditions I would make the switch again in a heartbeat!! :Rockon:

Racy2 said:
Slow down, I think some of the people that want to race on trails should go else where. To many close calls on the trails with people going to fast and out of control, wrong side of the trail around turns and no experince. Just my 2cts.

True! I wish everyone had skis that would cut corners so that they will stay off my side of the trail! I can control myself....but not the other guy.

I put the simmons on before even trying the stock skis, wish I would of tried the stock before. I just can't seem to get rid of that "squirrely feeling" in the back when I let off the brake. At lower speeds on hard pack it darts like crazy. I need a fix fast.

Back