• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ski Doo is dropping a bomb on snowmobile industry

Yeah Cat is the front runner for power and speed only with Yamaha's help though, read a article in snow tech the other day on the 900t the guy that owns one is 78 years old and put 20,000 miles on his 900t without a hiccup just some regular maintenance, so that shows the quality of that engine, according to snowtrax Doo sells the most 4 strokes in NA, as for the new 850T it just shows that Doo is trying to listen to its costumers, its hard to make a 2 stroke live but if anybody can do it BRP will find the tech, don't forget about Poo, offering 4 year warranty on their 850 patriot that alone says something about their engines, I know that its hard to beat a Yamaha built 4 stroke turbo or a N/A engine but the other OEM's are close, we will see how the factory 2 stroke turbo works in the mountains Doo is betting on it and I think have other plans, Poo has plans also, they will not let this sit, I honestly think Yamaha will make a big move this year, I like that new R1 engine.
Warranties do not equal riding time. My son had a car...a chebby....with all kinds of warranties. Too bad it was in the shop a lot. Proven, real world performance, and reliability is all I want. Winter is short, and Im getting old....not going to be a guinea pig for anyone. My SW has been perfect. Original belt, 2200 miles. Yes, we fixed the chain case and axle issues, rubbing wiring (it wasnt) before they hand a chance to bite me, but it has been perfect riding. No lost time. 2 stroke turbo, I'll be waiting for you...lol!
We shall see in time how they hold up.

Last edited:

Warranties do not equal riding time. My son had a car...a chebby....with all kinds of warranties. Too bad it was in the shop a lot. Proven, real world performance, and reliability is all I want. Winter is short, and Im getting old....not going to be a guinea pig for anyone. My SW has been perfect. Original belt, 2200 miles. Yes, we fixed the chain case and axle issues, rubbing wiring (it wasnt) before they hand a chance to bite me, but it has been perfect riding. No lost time. 2 stroke turbo, I'll be waiting for you...lol!
We shall see in time how they hold up.
Glad to hear you are having good luck with your winder, however this turbo 2 stroke i'm interested how it will work out or play out, we may never see it in a trail version but if I were a betting man I would say BRP is tinkering with the idea, keep a eye on Polaris this year they may have something in the works, there's rumors in the wind of the return of the XLT in a new turbo 4 stroke.

Glad to hear you are having good luck with your winder, however this turbo 2 stroke i'm interested how it will work out or play out, we may never see it in a trail version but if I were a betting man I would say BRP is tinkering with the idea, keep a eye on Polaris this year they may have something in the works, there's rumors in the wind of the return of the XLT in a new turbo 4 stroke.
Absolutely...Poo will not sit still! It's great fun watching this play out. My chain tensioner bolts were loose..disaster in the wings, but thanks to every one here, it was avoided. But other than the few issues, it's really a great sled.

You will not see another 4 stroke from Polaris they failed miserably the last time they tried it. If they plan on useing that prostar pile of junk that they have in there sxs they will fail again.

Yeah Cat is the front runner for power and speed only with Yamaha's help though, read a article in snow tech the other day on the 900t the guy that owns one is 78 years old and put 20,000 miles on his 900t without a hiccup just some regular maintenance, so that shows the quality of that engine, according to snowtrax Doo sells the most 4 strokes in NA, as for the new 850T it just shows that Doo is trying to listen to its costumers, its hard to make a 2 stroke live but if anybody can do it BRP will find the tech, don't forget about Poo, offering 4 year warranty on their 850 patriot that alone says something about their engines, I know that its hard to beat a Yamaha built 4 stroke turbo or a N/A engine but the other OEM's are close, we will see how the factory 2 stroke turbo works in the mountains Doo is betting on it and I think have other plans, Poo has plans also, they will not let this sit, I honestly think Yamaha will make a big move this year, I like that new R1 engine.

20k mile 900 T is in my possession now. Testing an MPS kit on it this season.

Two stroke turbos can make big reliable power, but first you need a decent engine too begin with. Use common sense, leave Chinese parts out, and quality manufacturing processes combined with modern electronics.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...41j41i67j0i131j0j46j33i160j33i299.rM3q9KlHgXc

If Gus can accomplish it out of a frickin garage shop, then it should be a cinch for Yamaha motor company.

But hey two stroke quality has been going backwards for some time, so it’s not likely going to happen.

:drink:

Yeah... Polaris has had some problems with the pro star engines and electrical issues but there is one heck of a pile of them out there, it seems that's why you hear about the problems there's a lot more SXS and ATV's from Polaris being bought, not everybody has problems though, I have buddies that will ride nothing else snowmobiles included, rumor has it that Polaris will have a triple 4 stroke with a turbo not a twin, now will the rumors be true where Polaris has been only dedicated to 2 strokes for their sleds, not sure how Polaris will answer to Doo's turbo 2 stroke, I hope Yamaha steps up this year with something all new, I find this interesting though

“Ski Doo is dropping a bomb on snowmobile industry”

What, the 850’s didn’t make a big enough BANG when they blew up? :rofl:

Last edited:
As soon as I saw the Video on this I thought very cool. Just lock the waste gate closed, 4 lbs of boost, pour in some c14 race fuel and you easily have 200+ hp at sea level.
LOL it may not live real long but boy will it go! I love competition and am happy Ski Doo is amping it up.
:)

Will not go as good as you think with only 4 pounds of boost.

Lol, they go pretty good with NO boost. 4 lbs, if it would even take it, should bump it up over 200 hp. That would be fast as fk. But, I don't think it would last very long

I was not very impressed with the ones I've ran across. My buddy bought one last year thinking he had it dicked, my turbo Viper left him there scratching his head. I'm only running the 190 hp kit. So I don't care what they do, need more than 4 pounds of boost to run with the turbo Yamaha 4 stroke. Not only that it don't take much to up the power of the Yamaha another 40 or 50 ponies. If your confident that this 2 stroke turbo is gonna make it into a trail sled get your check book and your catchers mit ready.

I only have any experience with one 850. Its stock and runs pretty good. No competition for a boosted 4 stroke tho. 50 more hp, up from 190? in a turbo viper ? Unless you already upgraded, Better get some new connecting rods ordered.

I only have any experience with one 850. Its stock and runs pretty good. No competition for a boosted 4 stroke tho. 50 more hp, up from 190? in a turbo viper ? Unless you already upgraded, Better get some new connecting rods ordered.

Sheeeet,
I ran my junk at 22 psi boost on the stock rods.......no bang boom?
WTF you talkin bout Willis?

Oh yea and 22 psi on a Garrett turbo, not some restrictive tinsy whinsy IHI Winder turbo!

Stock 850 feels like a kitty cat compared to my Viper.

4 psi.....Sheesh why bother?

:dunno:

Back