• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Skinz new front end

loudelectronics said:
Dimebag said:
Same here. Tippy after the trails, but awesome off trail. ;)!

This is what I wanted opinions on. I do trail in prairies when the snow goes to poop in the backcountry. So I need my sled to be some what manageble at speed.

Don't they make a wider version you could get then? Any sled with a 39" wide front will be tippier on the trails.

How tippy is tippy? Can I still use my weight to keep the skis down in corners? When I hit bumps will it be unstable?

Going up the mountain and down the mountain through the whoops no one can touch me. On the mountain I struggle.

I am running Elkas right now. Best shock I have ran yet. They perform way better than the float evol X I had last year. They corner really flat, take the bumps and just no compromise. They will work with the skinz front end as they have the spherical bearings.

They do make the 42". I love mine, it crosses over from trails to mountains very well. I will say though, if the snow is getting set up it is more work to ride than the 39's off trail. I guess you just have to pick where you want your peak performance. But I don't think you will be disappointed either way! ;)!

I like 39. I notice it being a bit more tippy than the stock but overall waaay worth it off trail in the deep. I got to do some hill climbing finally and wow, what a difference! The Timbersled sure helps as well, makes a huge difference on the hills and in the deep.

Alatalo said:
Mounted and test ridden. Very quick steering response and very quick from side to side (skis full narrow...), still good stability and very calm behaviour during long turns.
loudelectronics said:
What width did you go with?
The narrow version of the Skinz front end.

Initially with the skis in the full narrow position and this is where my above mentioned feedback comes from. Now with the skis in the middle position (which means ski stance as close to stock front end with skis full narrow you can get). Clearly not as sharp steering and clealry not as flickable as first time out with skis full narrow, but very good stability and very good bump absorption compared to the standard front end. The difference is clearly noticeable in long turns through "bumpy", wind packed powder fields. I think I prefer this ski position, as the full narrow one was almost dangerous.

If you are considering trail riding, forget about the narrow version of the Skins front end.

Guys:

What pressures are you running in the floats? I have the Evol R's and I am 220 riding weight. With the Cat Skid, the whole setup works great in powder, but a bit stiff on the trail and steers harder than i'd like.

Not complaining though. The whole setup is a vast improvment over stock.

Thanks,

OTM

Back