• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Skinz new front end

yamaha1973 said:
maybe a stupid question but why different pressures?
The FX Nytro is not exactly balanced left to right...The weight that sits on the right ski is approximately 10 kg (22 lbs) more. I use slightly higher air pressure (or slightly more spring preload) in the right side, just to get equal suspension sag left and right.

Alatalo

Good thinking, I hadn't considered the weight difference. My 153 is actually heavier on the clutch (left) side by 7 lbs thanks to the skinz front end, light weight battery, and few other mods.

I just dropped my pressures to 65psi main chamber and 125 in the evols. I was at 70/140. It worked well, but I found the ride a bit stiff for my liking. Skid was too stiff too.

Will try the new settings tomorrow.

OTM

OTM,

Try a little more pressure or preload on the front shock on the skid and then drop the air pressure or preload on the rear shock.

This will help with the steering effort.

The front and rear need to work in unison.

Scott

scmurs said:
OTM,

Try a little more pressure or preload on the front shock on the skid and then drop the air pressure or preload on the rear shock.

Scott

Has anyone gone past the 95# that Timbersled says is max? Been thinking about bumping it up a little bit.

But that went way back on the burner since a little mishap yesterday.

I will say the Skinz Front End is Tough, Subframe Bent, Shock Broke. All other Skinz pieces are just fine.

Attachments

• 2012-03-16_14-41-04_644.jpg
    2012-03-16_14-41-04_644.jpg
    534.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 2012-03-16_14-41-17_620 (1).jpg
    2012-03-16_14-41-17_620 (1).jpg
    524 KB · Views: 106
scmurs said:
OTM,

Scott

Scott:

Read my mind. I increased front skid spring and decreased back float.

Also, any bending of the steering arms reported? I bent my RHS steering arm...likely my fault, but no big hits that threw me off, and everything else is perfect. I tried to straighten the arm but man it is STRONG! Barely moved it under all my weight. Must have taken a hard jolt jolt somewhere along the trail, but clearly the a-arm and joints are tough.. Will pick up spares from Skinz over the summer.

Steering_Arm.jpg

OTM

Off Trail Mike said:
Good thinking, I hadn't considered the weight difference. My 153 is actually heavier on the clutch (left) side by 7 lbs thanks to the skinz front end, light weight battery, and few other mods.
I got the following numbers from my -11 MTX SE 162":

Left ski = 47.7 kg / 105 lbs (in line with ski bolt)
Right ski = 57.3 kg / 126 lbs (in line with ski bolt)
Front of skid = 154.5 kg / 340 lbs (in line with center swingarm to rail attachment)
Rear of skid = 0 kg / 0 lbs (in line with rear swingarm to rail attachment, this point does not touch the ground on a box stock sled...!)

Total weight = 259.5 kg / 572 lbs

The measurement is done with an Intercomp four point scale on a brand new sled right after assembly from crate (tool pouch and spare belt installed, all fluids except for gasoline). After this I have removed close to 20 kg / 44 lbs with aftermarket and custom made parts, but I have never checked the weight distribution again. However, I do need to use ~ 5 psi higher pressure (or ~ 3 mm more preload on a conventional front spring) in the right shock in order to get the same sag and same 1G position as the left shock.

Alatalo

I only measured 3 points: the rear bumper and both skis with a 500kg crane scale. Wet weight as follows:

Left ski: 207.5lbs
Right ski: 200.5lbs
Rear Bumper: 159.6lbs

I am going to figure out a better way to use 4 scales points like you, so I can better evaluate suspension changes and initial setup.

That said I just got back from a ride this afternoon. 15 deg. C and sunshine! Don't think snow will last the week as its supposed to stay warm for next 5 days but suspension changes seemed to have helped steering effort. I didn't notice any more body role @65/125 in the front and thats in very rotten spring snow. Pretty sensitive to subtle changes.

OTM

Off Trail Mike said:
Also, any bending of the steering arms reported? I bent my RHS steering arm...likely my fault, but no big hits that threw me off, and everything else is perfect. I tried to straighten the arm but man it is STRONG! Barely moved it under all my weight. Must have taken a hard jolt jolt somewhere along the trail, but clearly the a-arm and joints are tough.. Will pick up spares from Skinz over the summer.

OTM

I think my right one is tweaked too - I have no idea when/where it happened on my last ride. No hard hits that I can remember, but I did notice the steering seemed a little off center on the way back to the truck. Looking at the sled in my shop - I think everything is straight except for the right steering arm. It does not look as bent as yours, but it is bent. :o| At least the heim joints held up :o|

Maurizio Benelli said:
Has anyone done something similar to Apex? I´ve been thinking of buying some cromoly tubes and make some errors and trials during summer.

I don't think it would be worth it on an Apex Mtn. The Apex handles pretty darn good out of the box. The biggest issue with that sled is the weight. Having owned both IMO you should spend your time, $, and effort on either weight loss or adding boost if you haven't done that already.

tmk50 said:
Maurizio Benelli said:
Yes it handles good, but I´m interested if this can make the front end feel lighter.

boost will fix that :)

I am yet to find too many sled related questions that dont have the same answer....Boost will solve that!!!!

tmk50 said:
Maurizio Benelli said:
Yes it handles good, but I´m interested if this can make the front end feel lighter.

boost will fix that :)

Sitting on the side of the trail when a turbo Apex went by. Came around the corner with skis down, pinned it, skis up in the air for the 1/4 mile that I could see him disappearing.
Yeah.... definitely reduces steering effort... :Rockon:

OTM

Off Trail Mike said:

OTM

This is the first that I have heard of bending a tie rod. They are made of solid 3/4" 6061 aluminum. I'm sure the existing bend in the rod had something to do with you bending it more, but they are strong. Wondering if a gusset type plate welded on the inside of the bend may be a good idea???

Not pointing any fingers, but there isn't a side hit that you remember that could have caused this?

I'll follow up with SPG and see if they have any ideas.

Scott

Back