• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

slide wear hyfax solution?

adrenaline junkey said:
KHEXX said:
adrenaline junkey said:
Just leave them down no worries about taking time to put them up and a lot cheaper and faster to change then hi fax
Where di you buy the scratchers and where do you have them installed?

I make my own see post here http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=
but if your not into building stuff several good ones are out there I like the cable scratchers the most cause reverse doesn't screw them up

Nice post, that is basically the same thing I'm gonna work on making. Since I have like 4 combines and a dozen old siderakes laying around, I should be able to find a nice spring lol

Scratchers are a good helper add-on and they can be made very cheaply.
But, the real problem still is the smaller 130mm wheels.
Bigger wheels work.
I didn't use my scratchers much last year, I didn't need to.
While back in 2009, I took my new XTX out for break in period.
We had lots of good snow, around 250kms my sliders were at the wear marks in some hot spots, then at the dealer for first time service (check over) They changed the sliders and joked with me to wait for snow. I laughed, but wasn't impressed!
I don't want to ride a sled sitting at wear marks after 500k, the safety margin is gone.

In the first 800 miles my slides wore down fast to where there was about 1/8" of wear line left at the thinest part of the slides. I had some big trips planned and didn't have time to replace the slides. I installed the 135mm Ski Doo wheels. Rode 1000 more miles and the slider wear line really didn't change.

I had over 1800 miles on the slides.

It seems that the slides reach a wear point and then pretty much stop wearing. The 135mm wheels work good. I had those on my "07 Attak and had good slider life.

mach9 said:
Scratchers are a good helper add-on and they can be made very cheaply.
But, the real problem still is the smaller 130mm wheels.
Bigger wheels work.
I didn't use my scratchers much last year, I didn't need to.
While back in 2009, I took my new XTX out for break in period.
We had lots of good snow, around 250kms my sliders were at the wear marks in some hot spots, then at the dealer for first time service (check over) They changed the sliders and joked with me to wait for snow. I laughed, but wasn't impressed!
I don't want to ride a sled sitting at wear marks after 500k, the safety margin is gone.

Do you or anybody know if there's anything you can do to the slides to make them harder before installing them? I thought I read a thread about someone using a heatgun to heat them up before installing them...

KHEXX said:
Do you or anybody know if there's anything you can do to the slides to make them harder before installing them? I thought I read a thread about someone using a heatgun to heat them up before installing them...

I've tried that and can't say if it did much.
It might help a little, try it out.
I bet the slides I have on will be nice and hard now, the same ones I started with last year, only 1/2 worn.
I'm going to run them again to see how far I get.

mach9 said:
KHEXX said:

I've tried that and can't say if it did much.
It might help a little, try it out.
I bet the slides I have on will be nice and hard now, the same ones I started with last year, only 1/2 worn.
I'm going to run them again to see how far I get.

Reason I ask is that I also have access to liquid nitrogen (-230 degrees) which is used to cryogenicly harden metals. Not sure if the same rules would apply with the hyfax plastic....

Back