• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Slide Wear tricks

Rayman5271

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Yamaha SR Viper XTX SE
What is the best way to stop the excessive slide wearing on the 09 Nytro. I have seen mid wheel kits and front wheel kits but before I drop 3 or 4 hundred Im curious if the claims of less drag and less wear and more speed is true and if it is what are the best kits.

Thanks

I have the 08 MTX and found that the slides wore at the arch of the rails within the first 500 Kms and then stopped. I put on a set of scratchers that worked excellent. 2300 kms later and a lot of icy trails and just changed the slides before this season. I have a marginal snow wheel kit to try this season on the arch if they will fit there.

Add a second set of idlers toward the rear of the skid. With close to 2500-miles last season I still had plenty of slider left.

Attachments

• Rear Idler Set.jpg
    Rear Idler Set.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 140
Over 7000 kms on my original set and they're still useful, although I'm going to change them before the season starts. Can't explain why they lasted longer than most, however, I do ride in deep snow and off-trail whenever possible.

arteeex said:
Add a second set of idlers toward the rear of the skid. With close to 2500-miles last season I still had plenty of slider left.

I have this extra wheel too. Seemed to help, but I bought enough slydog wheels to replace all of my wheels. They are a little bigger so I'm thinking that will help alot. I dont care about more speed or rolling resistance...I just want to get a whole season on one set of slides in the crappy conditions we've had the last few years.

I dont see why u guys have so much trouble with slides.. it was the same with the phazer's, i sold my phazer with 7000 miles with stock slides that were still in good shape...My xtx has 4000 on it with stock slides their in great shape too....Stay in the snow boys!!!

Sometimes we don't have the option of staying in snow. Sometimes it's freezing rain/ice. Sometimes it's low snow coverage. Sometimes it's road running.

Weight of the rider has a big effect on slider wear. So too does suspension settings and track tension.

Foregoing all the above, the best way to reduce slide wear (apart from not riding) is to add extra idler wheels in the high wear area. I would also recommend going from stock 5.125" idler wheel to a 5.25" idler.

I'm not a big fan of installing larger idlers. I think it's best for the rails if there's load-sharing between the sliders and the idlers. If the idlers stand proud to the slider they take most of the hit and induce repetitive torque loads on the rails. I don't believe this is optimal. In my perfect world the wheels would follow the slider surface as it wears. Also in my perfect world, the sliders would be a lot easier to replace. The 30-bucks for new sliders is not a big deal, but installing them is a royal pain.

Attachments

• IMG_0292.JPG
    IMG_0292.JPG
    337.1 KB · Views: 90
arteeex said:
I'm not a big fan of installing larger idlers. I think it's best for the rails if there's load-sharing between the sliders and the idlers. If the idlers stand proud to the slider they take most of the hit and induce repetitive torque loads on the rails. I don't believe this is optimal. In my perfect world the wheels would follow the slider surface as it wears. Also in my perfect world, the sliders would be a lot easier to replace. The 30-bucks for new sliders is not a big deal, but installing them is a royal pain.

I agree 100%, but with the limited amount of riding time anymore, ANY down time is a hastle. I'm going with skidoo sized iders I won on dootalk a few years back. Trust me I had them on and off three times last month trying to decide if that was the way to go. time will tell. LET IT SNOW

It is all about your riding conditions. Ride only in fresh powder and you can make your sliders last 5000+ kilometers, even without idler wheels. Ride only in rock hard, icy conditions and the same set of sliders will be gone in no time, even with idler wheels and all kinds of snow spraying equipment...

However, there is something suspicious about the Yamaha sliders that seem to make them overheat and wear down very easy. A bloke on one of the swedish forums reports that he (accidentaly...?) installed a set of sliders from some old Lynx (BRP) model. In a direct comparison versus his buddys identical Yamaha with OEM sliders, the Lynx sliders had no issues at all where the Yamaha sliders overheated bad and wore down in no time...

Personally, I think it's more to it than the composition of the Yammy sliders. I believe it to be suspension design. I tried Skidoo sliders on my Nytro this past winter, they didn't hold up any longer than Yamaha's.

A few years ago, on my Vector, I went through 4 sets of sliders for about 2200km, 4 sets! The following year, after adding extra and larger idler wheels, I used the same set of sliders for the entire season, albeit for only 1800km. I would not have changed them for the next year, however I swapped in a ZX2 suspension and rode it for over 4500km without changing them and they still had a lot of life left in them.

Again, I believe it to be Yamaha's suspension design, either the attack angle of the rails is too severe, not enough wheel clearance, too much friction overall or there is something else that we can't put a finger on.

So, does anyone know where I can find a good mid wheel kit and front wheel kit, or can I buy the wheels somewhere and build it myself rather than paying the $100 for each kit. Seems as though I should be able to purchase the wheels somewhere and get some bolts and bolt them on... anyone take measurements or am i wasting time with it?

Back