• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Smoothest riding SW

sideshowBob

Lifetime Member
I find it confusing which Sidewinder is best suited for trail conditions, Yamaha has offered so many different versions. Which model handles the rougher trails the best? What is the best shock package?

I find it confusing which Sidewinder is best suited for trail conditions, Yamaha has offered so many different versions. Which model handles the rougher trails the best? What is the best shock package?
QS3R Kashima, are best shocks for big bumps. Only shocks on a sled today that come with massive 5/8" shafts and are in ALL 4 locations on sled(center included). Came on LE models for '17/18. These are not available for '19 unless you buy a Cat RR.

2nd best is Qs3, that came on Tcat, and XTX last 2 seasons(17/18) in 3 locations on sled(not center)....no rebound, no kashima, 1/2" shafts. Very good but these models come with BASIC center shock. 19s come with this setup but they are electronic instead which are adjusted by left hand toggle on switches.

SE models, came with fox RC. Basic rebound/compression in one, and no remote ressie....Basic center shock.

DX models just come with basic shocks all around.

Dan

Last edited:
One thing to remember though with shock quality, it's only better if u do shock rebuild on a reg interval. And Rebuildable shocks can always be revalved to better fit your riding conditions .

Thanks
Just the info I was looking for
The LE is hands down the best shock package yamaha sells. there is not much dealing to do on a LE so if you can find a smokin deal on a SE the money saved can be put toward the very best. Custom Axis shocks.

Had a viper ltx with basic shock package, trade for 17 Sidewinder LTX LE, shocks worth every penny

Keep this in mind too, if you can find a smoking deal on a SE I would buy it. My brother and nephew upgraded to QS3r's on there SE models this past off season for under $2000 for all 4 shocks (complete). They both have said it was worth every penny.

Also, hygear will run through all 4 SE shocks for about $1,100 including dual rate springs. That may be the route I go with my SE, eventually.

I had my SE R-TX setup by a suspension shop and I'm impressed, rough trails it takes it like a champ! I couldn't find a left over LE or else I would have gone that route for sure.

Still amazed at how my 2017 LTX-LE rides. Shocks make this model shine.
Have tried a same year SE. Noticeable difference.

QS3R Kashima, are best shocks for big bumps. Only shocks on a sled today that come with massive 5/8" shafts and are in ALL 4 locations on sled(center included). Came on LE models for '17/18. These are not available for '19 unless you buy a Cat RR.

2nd best is Qs3, that came on Tcat, and XTX last 2 seasons(17/18) in 3 locations on sled(not center)....no rebound, no kashima, 1/2" shafts. Very good but these models come with BASIC center shock. 19s come with this setup but they are electronic instead which are adjusted by left hand toggle on switches.

SE models, came with fox RC. Basic rebound/compression in one, and no remote ressie....Basic center shock.

DX models just come with basic shocks all around.

Dan

One correction to this - the '19 XTX models (both in-season and limited edition) have QS3s on all 4 shocks (the basic QS3 - no rebound, no Kashima, 1/2" shafts), but they're not electronic. There are no basic or non-adjustable shocks on these particular models.

I bought the LTX-DX with basic shocks, and it rides great, but I would like to upgrade to QS3's all around. I have found the front shocks on-line, but I have not been able to find the QS3's for the rear skid anywhere. The QS3R Kashima's would be great also. Does anybody knows who still sells them, hopefully at a decent price?

I bought the LTX-DX with basic shocks, and it rides great, but I would like to upgrade to QS3's all around. I have found the front shocks on-line, but I have not been able to find the QS3's for the rear skid anywhere. The QS3R Kashima's would be great also. Does anybody knows who still sells them, hopefully at a decent price?

You can order them through Cat or Yamaha just like any other part.

I just put on 725 miles in the UP. I have the STX-DX with coil over KYB’s and my buddy has the LTX-LE with the QS3’s. We switched sleds for awhile. His definitely is smoother when the trails get real whooped up. I had to stiffen my springs a few times being I was bottoming at first, the original owner was smaller than me and I ride likely much faster and push it hard in the corners. For next year I think I am going to get higher end front shocks with plenty of clicker adjustments....Hygear, Elka or Exits..and I will revalve rear ones and add 2 stage springs.

I highly recommend buying direct from a Fox dealer like Carver. The QS3'Rs from fox have better quality components than even the Factory QS3R's on LE's. The factory cuts costs. Still one of the best Oem shock packages out there.

Back