• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

so my Apex is noisy... what are the chances I need metal exh gasket?

Z06 FAN

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
06 Apex's GT/RTX
Well I'm stumped! I think everything is running right but it sounds bad. Almost sounds like valves need adjusted or exhaust leak or something. I replaced the exhaust donuts, checked the tubes for cracks ect but can't seem to find anything wrong. What are the chances I have a bad gasket the one that is between the tubes and head? The one that is two metal layers and can this gasket be installed backwards?

Well I'm stumped! I think everything is running right but it sounds bad. Almost sounds like valves need adjusted or exhaust leak or something. I replaced the exhaust donuts, checked the tubes for cracks ect but can't seem to find anything wrong. What are the chances I have a bad gasket the one that is between the tubes and head? The one that is two metal layers and can this gasket be installed backwards?
I would be looking at the bellows or flex pipes coming right off the head..... My apex sounded odd this past week end and it was hard to really tell what it is was and I found a flex pipe cracked.....

I shined light in each one and could not see any light come through anywhere. So I don't think they are leaking

what year apex?

stock exhaust?

I shined light in each one and could not see any light come through anywhere. So I don't think they are leaking
They can have hair line cracks that a light will not show ... but under vibration they leak and open up. Bend them and flex back and forth looking for the failure.

I know this sounds a bit odd, I had my nytros off a week ago and I put each one up to my mouth and covered the other end and blew into it, to see if there has any kind of a crack/leak.

They all check out and reinstalled them.
MS

Try the test covering the exhaust pipes with gloves with sled at running temp, this should tell you if you have an exhaust leak if it doesn't stall out. If it does stall, exhaust should be sound, then you have some other issue. Depending on the year, the two into one joint at the y-pipes to muffler has been know to crack and leak, usually on the tunnel side so it is hard to inspect.
I would check all hoses going into the air box, and check the connection of each of the gaskets to throttle bodies, they easily fold over on installation and could be causing an issue.

yep ...had a cracked pipe, think that will fix it. Part should come in next week. My friend a ski doo tech came over with some shop tools and gave everything a good check over. He found the cracked pipe and found some coils on their way out aswell. Did a compression check that came out good. Should be god as new next week!!

Think I will have to blow with my mouth like sevey next time because I didn't catch it shining light threw it in a dark garage!

Glad you found the problem. Because of the discoloration of those primaries/bellow pipes - it would be hard to see anything on them, not to mention the accordion pattern.

MS

yep ...had a cracked pipe, think that will fix it. Part should come in next week. My friend a ski doo tech came over with some shop tools and gave everything a good check over. He found the cracked pipe and found some coils on their way out aswell. Did a compression check that came out good. Should be god as new next week!!
What pipe? there are 3 sections of pipe from front to back .....

Back