• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

So whats the deal now with closing off of the tunnel?

:Rockon: My tunnel got closed up last year.Left open directly below muffler.I also wrapped the exhaust.Works great.Never heard of a 2stroke pipe pushing exhaust back in.Always thought that the heat created scavenging effect which pulls it out and chamber size and shape tunes when and how much.Maybe I am wrong but really havent had 2strokes on my mind since owning Phazer and 4stroke quads and bikes.I see outlaw cars,dragsters and all kinds of other things with motors out in the open either ceramic coated or wrapped lots of them are Hemi's so I dont think they do it to keep plug wires from burning.I never said quenching causes buildup I said quenching weakens the pipe.Have seen plenty split at a bend when hot and hitting snow on quads.I did say a cold pipe wont burn off carbon.Only negative I ever ran into with wrapping pipe is exhaust packing does seem to burn out quicker.Assume its because more heat is going to silencer instead of being dissipated by pipes.I dont believe anyone has had anything but good things to say about closing off holes.We will see what effects of wrapping are but no negatives yet.

Could wrapping the pipe cause the metal to fatigue early? When I get my sled back I think I will close'r up. But I'm not sure whether to wrap the pipe. I know on cars when the headers get wrapped, they usually rot out prematurely. Any thoughts on closing the tunnel but leaving a narrow slit all the way along to cool the exhaust?

Arent our pipes stainless?If so they wont rot out.Main reasons I wrapped mine was to keep all the heat I could at the very back where Muffler is.I didnt want any snow melting that got up there.Also was a bit worried about melting something on sled.Since no one has melted anything probably not a issue.

I wrapped my SMB pipe. mostly to keep the heat off the plastic but after 200 miles on this weekend I checked the plastic and it was always cool.
Later,
Will

The shrouds work fine. No problems what so ever. I was boondocking in 2 feet of snow and no water in my boots or on the outside of the tunnel. Shrouds are realy sweet looking. If you were to close of the tunnel I would sugest to put the shrouds on, unless you want to keep it open for looks.

The inside was normal. Some ice but could be knocked off easily. One tip if you go on a trip, make sure you knock the snow off your machione the night before or bounce your machine around to take out the ice and snow. ;)!

I am new to this site, and very glad I found it. Excellent information here. I have an 08rtx and have ridden it 100 miles and I too have ice building up on my foot wells. It looks like water is coming through the seam between the new added on(stock for 08 models) side panels and the plastic shroud from the seat. If the new panels were to overlap on the outside of the upper plastic the water should run down on the inside and not be a problem. It is seamed reverse of how it should be?.
you guys are great!

4strokepilot i would just close of the tunnel with a sheet of aluminum, i wouldn't bother with the side panels, the one and only cure to all of the water/ice problems is to close of the tunnel, there isn't any draw backs in doing so

I would love to close off the tunnel. I bought a five year warranty with the sled and I don't want to void it in any way. If Yamaha said I would not void the warranty I would close it off. Does anybody know this for sure? I have 400 miles on now and my kids can't keep their feet on the running boards due to the ice buildup. I feel this is a serious safety issue now.

I received the Excell cover for the rear hole and mounted it on. Already had the side pieces on. I also have the GHT-R-Done kit from Hauck Power Sports. So in other words this opinion does not cover all different exhaust applications. First Time out was the first ride with my daughter following me on a beautiful 1980 enticer 250 I just bought for her. This was her first ride ever on a snowmobile. I now have her hooked. Good for me and good for the sport. Anyway, so speeds were pretty much around fifteen to twenty miles an hour. :Rockon: Thats right we were flying!

I would usually jump into a field and go for some high speed runs as I would wait for her to catch up. All I noticed on that day is there was snow sitting on the exhaust and wasnt even melting. Other part I noticed was almost no snow on the tunnel and hardly any snow under the new cover. Thats what I bought it for so I am very pleased. No more huge ice jams!! ;)!

Second time out on the sled was just me. It was just under 30 degrees and this day I was by myself doing alot more speed. I suppose the median speed was around 45 to 55. On trail was seventy but take into account a few highway crossings and a few trail stops signs. So after a long run of about ten miles (about thirty miles into the trip) I was noticeing a odor of something running hot. So I pulled over since I was kind of curious and the sled was on fire!!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
just kidding!

I did feel the exhaust though and I couldnt hold my hand on the exhuast pipe. Which is a shame cause I always wanted to ride down the trail with my hands on the exhaust. I will never understand why holding the hand on exhaust is a good measuring tool. lol
I did notice that it was considerably hotter than when riding with my daughter. But, I felt the plactic all around the seat and the rear by the light and I am no authority on the subject but, I would not worry at all about covering up the rear hole. I know there was a dealer to the east of me and they were covering up the hole for most people before they even picked up the sled. I know there was at least ten of those done last year and havent heard of any problems around here. A dealer would be able to awnser those questions but why would it void the warranty? Especially if you are taking it in for something else like the rear link. What would the dealer say? "Well, because you covered the rear hole now you eliminated all the weight from the use to be ice jam so we will not cover link." Sounds silly doesnt it? So my opinion is I would recommend to cover the hole with or without warranty concerns!! Again, just my opinion!

Hi Everyone
I have a 2007 gt with 500 km on it.I covered both tunnel holes.
Went for a 55km ride, soft snow -3C.Never shut the engine off.
Drove at a good pace,stayed with a 600mxz.
About 45 km into the ride my leg was getting hot from the seat subframe.I could not hold my hand on it.The plastic was warm but I could hold my hand on the rear plastic.I had to put snow on the subfame to cool it off.
Engine temp light never come on.
Anyone experince this?

Removed the rear tunnel cover.Did not remove fwd cover.
went for a 30 km ride.Rear sub frame warm.
No water leakage from front cover to leak on my boots.
I`m going to leave mine this way.Muffler still get really hot.
Weather -4c. Heavy snow fall.Drive 15km turn around tracks are covered
in.

Thats how mine is.Front closed.Sideshields on back.It works still get the Ice buildup around the muffler and a littlebit runs to the front and freezes but a huge improvement.

Back