• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Spark plugs?

synaptic3e

Extreme
Country
USA
I can't find to many posts about spark plugs people are using for tuned sleds. I can't find many posts with information relating to the stock spark plugs either. I would think this would be good info to have in the FAQ section? Please share your setup and what mods you are running. If a moderator could put the plug info into the FAQ I think it would be helpful. TIA!

I can't find to many posts about spark plugs people are using for tuned sleds. I can't find many posts with information relating to the stock spark plugs either. I would think this would be good info to have in the FAQ section? Please share your setup and what mods you are running. If a moderator could put the plug info into the FAQ I think it would be helpful. TIA!
TY thread for reading ... https://ty4stroke.com/threads/spark-plugs.158511/
What is your end goal sought for interest in different coils? I've never heard of anyone saying the OEM coils aren't good enough? Even guys running 300HP tunes. Never heard anyone say they got more HP by changing coils. I bet there's TY guys here that will chime in. :)

I've tried every type of coil and plug possible on the dyno back in the day. Nothing on the planet will make more power over an another, with one exception, in the four stroke Yamaha engine we found more power using the twin electrode EK plugs, and of course with mods of any type we would drop a size on the temp range. We've run the EK twin electrode style of plug in four-stroke big boost engines and stock engines. They always seem to make 3-4 HP or about 1 HP per cylinder. The reason is the flame kernal is super exposed to the charge you want to light off. I have not tried the new copycat high dollar Brisk and E3 type plugs, nor do I see the need.

I tried the waste of time Nology stuff when it came out and a bunch of supposed hi powered coils and wires. I was one of the first to use the MSD programable MC-4 pro-stock bike ignitions back in the day, and the features it had was very advanced for its time. The benefit of it was you could program timing in it over time, RPM, shift points, it had all sorts of hi-tech features built in, plus it provided multiple sparks over a few degrees of crank rotation, a real arc welder! But it had no added power over the ignition it replaced on the dyno. The advantage it provide was down track in reducing timing, keeping the engine alive and making more RPM down track than by not reducing timing. Found the four-stroke turbo provides lots of power with added timing advance, so just the opposite, but only to a point and depending on the time of year and temps being run in.

As long as the flame front is lit and the charge fires and does not misfire it will make power. The problem comes when a plug fouls or the ignition does not have the power to spark under high boost, which the winder seems to have no trouble with what so ever. Don't overthink the spark plug thing, they either spark or they don't, if you want a couple more HP try the EK plugs. The winder doesn't not even seem fussy to gap, which tells me the ignition is plenty up to par stock.

TY thread for reading ... https://ty4stroke.com/threads/spark-plugs.158511/
What is your end goal sought for interest in different coils? I've never heard of anyone saying the OEM coils aren't good enough? Even guys running 300HP tunes. Never heard anyone say they got more HP by changing coils. I bet there's TY guys here that will chime in. :)
Not sure how this turned into a coil debate? I’m looking for SPARK PLUG info... part #s people are using etc.

I hope this doesn't sound too stupid but is their an easy way to change out the spark plugs?

Not sure how this turned into a coil debate? I’m looking for SPARK PLUG info... part #s people are using etc.

Based on what other members had to say, especially Mr. Knapp’s comments in another spark plug thread, I’m running NGK CR9EK gapped .020. I run TD Max Spool 17.

Based on what other members had to say, especially Mr. Knapp’s comments in another spark plug thread, I’m running NGK CR9EK gapped .020. I run TD Max Spool 17.
I put the same plug in and same gap when i installed TD header. I am running Max Spool 16

I hope this doesn't sound too stupid but is their an easy way to change out the spark plugs?
I have to change mine out. I have a plug that is fouled and its getting worse. Can I get in their without pulling the tank. Remove the hood? exhaust shield removed?

I would say nope, I’ve done it in my trailer couple weeks ago and I need to pull fuel tank back, I didn’t disconnect fuel pump or tail lights wiring, I had my buddy holding it while I was changing plugs.

Plugs are easy. Pull side panels and hood. Get to the plugs and coils through the right side. I did mine two weeks ago in about 15 minutes.
10-4... Thanks.. I am assuming Stock plugs on a 240SS tune? Cant believe I actually fouled one. I have 320 miles on it now.

Back