• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Spark plugs?

I want to know what kind of magic you guys are using to get the clutch side plug without at least sliding the gas tank back/over! No way for me. That tank has to get moved just a bit for my meat hooks to fit.

I want to know what kind of magic you guys are using to get the clutch side plug without at least sliding the gas tank back/over! No way for me. That tank has to get moved just a bit for my meat hooks to fit.
X2

I use a combo of tools. I usually use the spark plug changer that comes in tool kit to loosen plug. Then I use a spark plug socket with a rubber insert or a socket with electric tape on it to hold the plug once the plug is fully out. I usually attach socket with a extension that gives me the clearance to lift up ward after loosening all the way. Make sense?

Something I've been doing for years. Loosen the spark plug. Then remove socket, and slide an appropriate length(about 4-5 inches) of black rubber fuel line(3/8) diameter onto the sparkplug and spin/lift it out. Use the hose to insert the spark plug also.

Wow, some creativity here... lol.. Maybe, I will have to slide the tank back a bit.

Wow, some creativity here... lol.. Maybe, I will have to slide the tank back a bit.
I like 74Nitro idea! Going to steal that one.. Its amazing the info and stuff to learn on this site!

I would say nope, I’ve done it in my trailer couple weeks ago and I need to pull fuel tank back, I didn’t disconnect fuel pump or tail lights wiring, I had my buddy holding it while I was changing plugs.
Should be able to change them just by pulling the right side panel, there right there. Looks like a 5 min job

It will take you 5 min just to break loose one coil pack that has seen a couple of seasons! I'm still scratching my head envisioning you guys breaking loose the seal on the clutch-side coil pack without sliding the tank back. Never mind the plugs, how are you muscling those stuck coil packs without destroying the coil pack connector!? Good work I guess!

It will take you 5 min just to break loose one coil pack that has seen a couple of seasons! I'm still scratching my head envisioning you guys breaking loose the seal on the clutch-side coil pack without sliding the tank back. Never mind the plugs, how are you muscling those stuck coil packs without destroying the coil pack connector!? Good work I guess!
Disconnect and GENTLY pry them upward. You can turn them to your liking and leverage.
Also when putting them back down onto new plugs I do the same. Using gas tank or whatever is within leverage. Hard to get them seated back down. They have a nice snug fit. And I always worry I don't have them all the way down. Got to be patient and not be in a hurry

Last edited:
pry bar or extended reach needle nose pliers will get those coil packs loose. mine had not been off for 9000 miles. apply dielectric grease to sealing parts upon reassembly.

Agree. Apply a high-quality silicone grease to the coil ribs where they interlock with head. You'll be amazed how much better they come loose next time.

Today I changed all 3 spark plugs from the muffler side. Used spark plug tool out of kit to loosen up the plugs. Spark plug socket with plug in it will not come out under gas tank.
Screwed spark plug in one turn, removed plug socket. Used a piece of vaccum line to put on spark plugs to remove from head.
Gapped new plugs and used rubber hose to get started back into head. Tightened up with spark plug wrench from kit. Put some electric grease on boots and installed. Had to slide hood forward some to push coils back on all the way.
Starts and idles great. My sled has never idled this good.
Old plugs were .029, .030 and 032".
Over 9000 miles on original plugs.

47123.jpeg

Today I changed all 3 spark plugs from the muffler side. Used spark plug tool out of kit to loosen up the plugs. Spark plug socket with plug in it will not come out under gas tank.
Screwed spark plug in one turn, removed plug socket. Used a piece of vaccum line to put on spark plugs to remove from head.
Gapped new plugs and used rubber hose to get started back into head. Tightened up with spark plug wrench from kit. Put some electric grease on boots and installed. Had to slide hood forward some to push coils back on all the way.
Starts and idles great. My sled has never idled this good.
Old plugs were .029, .030 and 032".
Over 9000 miles on original plugs.

View attachment 160440
9K!! wow . don't wait so long next time?

Back