• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Spark plugs?

The old ones look good yet. I almost regapped them and put back in. I gapped the new ones to .020" and installed those since I had them.
LOL.. I remember riding with someone from this site two years ago and I Had about 5-6 K on my plugs.. And he was like "change your plugs" I do them every year.. You should also!

Mainly 240 SS on 90-91 octane non ethanol fuel . I do carry a motorcycle size Lucas booster but I’m not adding it on every fill up .

I don't know. But that is not good if your only getting 230 miles.. Just not hearing issues with plugs, I could see maybe running up over 300 HP. But where your at you should be able to get 5K out of your plugs easy.. I change every year, never had plug issues in 12k miles

I mean that’s happened first time when new set didn’t last a full season of riding.

I am still confused mine went as well. Mine was stock when it started acting up at 230 miles. Even from brand new, It was Not starting well and would sometimes take a couple of tries, mainly first start of the day where it was in my garage or sometimes when I was riding and I stopped. Where it went worse, was I loaded my sled from the garage to my trailer for the night because I was going to get a tune installed, so I had to travel a couple of hrs.... That morning it was cold (-15C) when I went to move it from the trailer to the garage, it only fired on 2 cyl for about 2 minutes, then the 3rd kicked in after. Took it for a short rip to clear it out and all was good. But, since that day (about 100 Miles later) it seems to have gotten worse where I have a low stumble below 5000RPM and then it just takes off, so I know one of the plugs are done. I am chalking it up to a bad plug from the factory. I will pick some up this weekend and see how it works after that. Snow is gone, so I am hoping its not going to be an issue. I always wait until it gets to 160-165 degrees before I move it. Having said this, My 2009 Nytro XTX snuffed 2 plugs on me.

Possible the valves are slightly off (too tight?)on some motors right from factory? These motors are damn good but ANY manufacture has a few that go out, that are out of spec(valves).. I know for a fact this was the case on the Vipers.. Caused issues with starting..
Think how many winder motors have been sold and how many on here have issues.. Id say they are damn good motors.

The old ones look good yet. I almost regapped them and put back in. I gapped the new ones to .020" and installed those since I had them.
What’s the reasoning for going .020 on plugs?

Looks like I’ll be pulling plugs today.....lol. Too bad snow is going.

What’s the reasoning for going .020 on plugs?
At higher boost levels (17+) there is allot more cylinder pressure than stock. That higher cylinder pressure actually tends to suppress the spark. So, to make sure the fire gets lit and ignition is consistent, a smaller gap makes it easier for spark to jump the gap.

Back