• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Speculation: is Yamaha getting played by cat?

It's not duplicate threads. Original was about the skid. This is more about the direction Yamaha is headed. A far more important thing than the Skid. I want Yamaha to know I don't like the direction they are heading. The crap rods,flashes,skids, outsourced engines deceitful advertising etc are really just a indication of the big problem.

wow...Im not the only one...I was beginnning to wonder...

I like most have loved and swore yamaha makes the best stuff...and over the past decades shouted that Yam is a stand up company you should be proud to own and do business with...but things they have done, are doing and arent doing is really not right...

this isnt about a roller flat spot...or any other nit picky stuff....its about the bigger picture..

First year sled has nothing to do with it. 1/2 the problem is CAT. All the loose crap is CAT and they have had the problem for 10+ years but care less to hold their employees accountable for it. I can't wait till the day (sad to say) someone gets really hurt and sues the #%#%$ out of them for something falling off and causing the accident. The viper has been out for 4 years now and the ECU is still a pile of crap. + the bad rods in 16' that's not a first year either.. Just google videos of the factory @ cat and take a look at some of the people putting these things together. I am all for keeping jobs in the US but 1/2 of them working there should not be doing the type of work they are doing..

If what mighty said about flat spot rollers was true and Yamaha knew about it and did nothing then it's over. The US closure is the final straw! I would bet that Yamaha will be a motor supplier going forward and nothing more. I hope I'm wrong but sure doesn't seem like they have a steak in the game anymore. Maybe they will surprise us but I think the fat lady has sung! Show me any sign of life in Yamaha? No sign of tunnel protectors in a 200 hp sled! No accessories no service bullitens on problems. All stuff is coming from Cat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If what mighty said about flat spot rollers was true and Yamaha knew about it and did nothing then it's over. The US closure is the final straw! I would bet that Yamaha will be a motor supplier going forward and nothing more. I hope I'm wrong but sure doesn't seem like they have a steak in the game anymore. Maybe they will surprise us but I think the fat lady has sung! Show me any sign of life in Yamaha? No sign of tunnel protectors in a 200 hp sled! No accessories no service bullitens on problems. All stuff is coming from Cat!

A motor company? Really. They are cutting costs and that includes the motors. Really set me off to see the Twin Cam 700 in the Grizzly and Wolverine UTV. I knew it wasn't normal Yamaha motor just looking at it closely. Its not its a Subaru engine probably made half in China. How many owners or buyers know that? They quickly have found out with issues with them. Think the Junk rods were a performance enhancement? No its cheaper to make them the way they are doing it now. Who makes the rods? Eventually this all pans out and the costs to warrantee outweigh the savings and improvements are made either in product or process but right now neither can be trusted. That said I need to go work on my sticking Cat primary before I blow the dang belt!

First year sled has nothing to do with it. 1/2 the problem is CAT. All the loose crap is CAT and they have had the problem for 10+ years but care less to hold their employees accountable for it. I can't wait till the day (sad to say) someone gets really hurt and sues the #%#%$ out of them for something falling off and causing the accident. The viper has been out for 4 years now and the ECU is still a pile of crap. + the bad rods in 16' that's not a first year either.. Just google videos of the factory @ cat and take a look at some of the people putting these things together. I am all for keeping jobs in the US but 1/2 of them working there should not be doing the type of work they are doing..
Do you own a business? And have tryed to find help these days. Its not as easy as one thinks.

So, Yamaha doesn't have enough clout to design a sled & have it go thru Arctic Cat plant, if Yamaha chose to?

Lots of open doors right now.

And you guys are saying that if Yamaha thinks Cats giving them a bad name, no sweeping change, if need be?

Sounds like a bunch of you are getting ready to roll over and play dead, with very little justification.

Breathe..........let's ride!

Do you own a business? And have tryed to find help these days. Its not as easy as one thinks.
I think trying to find good or great help for cheap is the problem.
There is lots of talent out there, and some companies do pay a good buck to get them. Others want good help, but are not willing to pay above the average wage, for more than average talent or skill.

Now, getting back to SJ' s beef, way back, I can certainly understand how he feels about this issue.
I quit spring ordering sleds a long time ago, for several reasons.
I,m very reluctant to give up my sled to a dealer early, before I have the new one in my hands.
With all the dealer closures going on these days, it,s to hard on the nerves wondering if they will still be around in 5-8 months, while I,m waiting for my new one to arrive.
I hate waiting for something that might be delivered in 6, 7, 8,9 or 10 months from the time I commit to ordering one, usually getting it well after the dealers have stocked up their showrooms with their stock.
If I am willing to commit to a spring order, should I not be treated better than someone walking in off the street into a dealer showroom ? Since the manufacturer knows for sure I am getting one of their sleds, shouldn,t I be treated better ?
It pissed me off as well to finally receive something other than what was promised during the spring break.
If the purchaser can commit 6-8 months earlier than receiving the product, why cann,t the manufacturers commit to what exactly they are going to supply ?
Also, as I found out in December, or early January, the great spring price wasn,t really that great, and the same sled could be purchased for a couple of grand less from dealers who were smart enough to dump sleds once the initial first snowfall rush was over, and not get stuck with lots of extra stock.
As well, now I get to go on the different forums and find out about quirks and what is good and not so good about different makes and models. I don,t have to be the one that does their R&D any more.
Luckily for me, I seem to be able to weed out bull$hit from true facts.
That,s why I waited for 4-5 years to finally get a turbo cat, 2013 model year, with the 2014 updates, cause by then I had finally got the level of confidence in that sled to feel that it would be reliable enough for me to suit my level of reliability., and it has been everything I expected, and more. Not on single issue with it, although I do still have my 2007 Yamaha Apex RTX as a great back-up sled. LOL
I,m sure when I am ready to upgrade from my Turbo Cat, that I will be able to find a great deal on a new in crate, or slightly used Sidewinder. The great part of that is, I will be able to look at the unit as it is sitting in front of me, and decide if it has what I want, at the price I am willing to buy it for, and take it home within a day, or two. No waiting, or wondering what might, or might not show up 7-8 months from the time I order it.
Works for me, with way less stress.

Last edited:
A motor company? Really. They are cutting costs and that includes the motors. Really set me off to see the Twin Cam 700 in the Grizzly and Wolverine UTV. I knew it wasn't normal Yamaha motor just looking at it closely. Its not its a Subaru engine probably made half in China. How many owners or buyers know that? They quickly have found out with issues with them. Think the Junk rods were a performance enhancement? No its cheaper to make them the way they are doing it now. Who makes the rods? Eventually this all pans out and the costs to warrantee outweigh the savings and improvements are made either in product or process but right now neither can be trusted. That said I need to go work on my sticking Cat primary before I blow the dang belt!
I questioned the 700 engine not being a Yamaha engine and was told it was still a Yamaha design and build. I'll check again

So, Yamaha doesn't have enough clout to design a sled & have it go thru Arctic Cat plant, if Yamaha chose to?

Lots of open doors right now.

And you guys are saying that if Yamaha thinks Cats giving them a bad name, no sweeping change, if need be?

Sounds like a bunch of you are getting ready to roll over and play dead, with very little justification.

Breathe..........let's ride!

All I'm saying is in the last 6 months has Yamaha done anything in the sled world besides have Cat build a sled with there motor and clutches. Has Yamaha done anything in reguards to turbo bolts,rollers,R/R skid,jackets,windshields,accessories goggle bag! Nothing! As a spring order customer who paid a premium for there top of the line sled I'm pretty disappointed in the lack of care from Yamaha! When you promise me a R/R skid,Sidewinder jacket,goggle bag,$600 in accessories and don't deliver yes I'm disappointed! Yes my jacket and accessories may show up sometime in Jan and maybe not. Nobody really knows. If I waited on Yamaha for my tunnel protectors I wouldn't have been able to stud my 200 hp sled which on our lake and rivers is a dearth sentence! I'm not rolling over on Yamaha but I'm wondering if Yamaha has rolled over on us! Do I love my new sled...... Hell yes but there is more to a product than the delivery of the sled. Taking care of your customers during the life of your sled and giving them what was promised in the first place!

All I'm saying is in the last 6 months has Yamaha done anything in the sled world besides have Cat build a sled with there motor and clutches. Has Yamaha done anything in reguards to turbo bolts,rollers,R/R skid,jackets,windshields,accessories goggle bag! Nothing! As a spring order customer who paid a premium for there top of the line sled I'm pretty disappointed in the lack of care from Yamaha! When you promise me a R/R skid,Sidewinder jacket,goggle bag,$600 in accessories and don't deliver yes I'm disappointed! Yes my jacket and accessories may show up sometime in Jan and maybe not. Nobody really knows. If I waited on Yamaha for my tunnel protectors I wouldn't have been able to stud my 200 hp sled which on our lake and rivers is a dearth sentence! I'm not rolling over on Yamaha but I'm wondering if Yamaha has rolled over on us! Do I love my new sled...... Hell yes but there is more to a product than the delivery of the sled. Taking care of your customers during the life of your sled and giving them what was promised in the first place!

Well said!

Toby.....I'm on your side. I would have flown to h.q. and took a dump right in the front door!!!!

So, this thread comes down to promises made to customers that spring ordered.....I'm out.

Sorry to bother.......

I questioned the 700 engine not being a Yamaha engine and was told it was still a Yamaha design and build. I'll check again
If you ask Yamaha they say the same thing about the Sidewinder and Viper. Technically they can since its not much different than outsourcing parts.

Back