• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

spun a driver on the stock set up

skidooboy

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
sled picked up a vibration while on a trip last week, each day it progressively became worse. thought it was track ratcheting, or too loose of a track, played with several things. it wouldnt do it on the trail, but in any fluff at all it would make a terrible sound and lose all power and not hold any rpms till i would let off the gas. we eliminated several issues and relegated it to a drive line issue.

when i got home i ordered a set of avid drivers from robbie at avid products, and an anti stab wheel kit from wahl just for safe measure. i tore the sled apart tonight when the parts came in. found the rail tips were chewed pretty good, glad i bought the anti stab kit. took the drive shaft to grapeape's tonight for pressing. we were looking at the timing marks and realized i spun one of the extrovert portion of the stock drivers.

well, now i know where the vibration came from, and know what was happening when it was making the bad noise.

this was on a stocker, no boost.

just a heads up to the ty brethern. ski

Ski,

Thanks for the heads up. Are you running the Maverick track or have you upgraded. I'm about to install a Powerclaw on a friends sled and was wondering if I should put the anti-stab kit on. No boost, but the single ply track makes me nervous.

Thanks, scmurs

i am running the powerclaw, i would put the wahl anti stab kit in just for security and insurance. 100 bux for the kit is alot cheaper than a track replacement, if you spear it.

i drilled the rivets out of the plastic rail tip protector, drilled a 3/8 hole in them and the rail tip where they mount. then i dremmeled a recess to accept the mount bolt for the kit. i only ran the two inner wheels and opted not to put on the wheels outside the rails.

if you have the drive shaft out for the track, just pony up for the avid drivers, another cheap insurance plan, they wont spin. the boosted guys are running these with liitle to no issues with super high HP.

and you lose alittle weight by going to the avids as they are a combo driver (anti ratchet extrovert and internal lug driver). you replace the 4 stockers that do the same thing with 2 drivers.

the avids are machined, and have a tighter tolerence for roundness (if that is a word LOL).

hope this helps. ski

long track riders need them the most. they are a set of wheels on a cross shaft mounted at the very front of the rail tips to prevent the track from having one of the rail tips shoved through it ripping and destroying the track.

this can happen with high hp sleds where the track balls up under hard accelleration. or if the suspension articulates funny and the clearances are too close.

bad things happen when a track gets speared. especially in the back country. ski

if your rail tips are rubbing on the drivers, you need to trim the rails, AND add a set of anti stab wheels. then that will help your situation.

if the track it clipping the rail tips, you may just need to add the antistab kit.

ski

Back