• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SRX Studs

Just curious , anybody not studding their SRX and how do you like the 1 inch track

I have a 2019 SRX, big tune, and I dont run studs. The wife and kid do not drive it, so wasting money on studs would be foolish.

I haven't run studs in decades. For me, the joy of snowmobiling is actually driving it!! I love sliding into a turn and spinning a rainbow of slush into the bushes as I exit. The attributes of an unstuded snowmobile bring me great joy and I never want to subtract from that. Course, where I ride, we get lots of snow, so blue ice conditions are rare. Hence, my opinions may be skewed according to conditions.

I've had three procross chassis sleds and set them up the same. First thing I do is remove transfer blocks, throw them in the trash, crank front limiter strap to the 3rd hole and done.

Before releasing the SRX, Yamaha tested the 1 inch track against the 1.25. In a 400m race, there was no difference, so they went with the 1 incher as it was faster topend. And faster it is!!

Just my 5 cents.

I have a 2019 SRX, big tune, and I dont run studs. The wife and kid do not drive it, so wasting money on studs would be foolish.

I haven't run studs in decades. For me, the joy of snowmobiling is actually driving it!! I love sliding into a turn and spinning a rainbow of slush into the bushes as I exit. The attributes of an unstuded snowmobile bring me great joy and I never want to subtract from that. Course, where I ride, we get lots of snow, so blue ice conditions are rare. Hence, my opinions may be skewed according to conditions.

I've had three procross chassis sleds and set them up the same. First thing I do is remove transfer blocks, throw them in the trash, crank front limiter strap to the 3rd hole and done.

Before releasing the SRX, Yamaha tested the 1 inch track against the 1.25. In a 400m race, there was no difference, so they went with the 1 incher as it was faster topend. And faster it is!!

Just my 5 cents.

Fleecer, what does removing the transfer blocks and setting the limiter strap in the third hole do?

Just my 5 cents.

So how is that stock 1” lug track holding up with all of that extra spin?

Quite surprised to hear you say that because o& your past monster sleds, but yes there are many groomed trail snow conditions where a studded track difference is minimal, but then once again, when the trails turn icy you would have to play it smart and lay off that throttle period, because those trees are freakin hard. Funny thing about sled set ups and different snow conditions, King on one day does not necessarily mean King every day without studs. One better know how to let the better handling sleds outperform them in those conditions eh. I do hear what you are saying, I too like that rear end to have some slide in those corners and not have that stud damage crap that most of my sleds have experienced!

I have to say that this year’s set up on my sled did just that, it allowed for more corner slide then prior years set up but once on ice much better. That Ripsaw ll with it’s angled edge and 144 Woodys 1.350” down the middle, and new 6”slim Jim’s on my curves really surprised me. Fun and much safer then the last two seasons set up which was the 1.22” Ice Attack XT and same on front. On some snow conditions it does slide around a bit but what a difference on ice.

Was really looking forward to doing more late season county riding for that reason, fast well frozen or blue trails that are bullet proof until later in the day. Oh my, that is what I wait for, then came Covid-19.

Again wondering how many lugs you’ve lost on that 1”?

Just curious , anybody not studding their SRX and how do you like the 1 inch track

Just my 5 cents.
Fleecer, what does removing the transfer blocks and setting the limiter strap in the third hole do?

Removing the blocks will yield more transfer and traction. With a big tune and depending on your weight, block removal may yield too much transfer, resulting in 100mph wheelies. To combat this, I tighten the front limiter straps, which provides many benefits IMO. For starters, tightening the straps applies more pressure to the skis for stellar handling. Secondly, tightening the limiter straps also pulls the front of the skid up higher into the tunnel, thus improving efficiency and yielding faster topspeed.

Under hard acceleration, you want the skis to dance a little above the trail, but never higher. Too much wheelie, tighten strap, not enough wheelie/traction loosen straps.

Be advised this setup works for lighter riders. I would venture to say anyone 215lbs and less.

Last edited:
So how is that stock 1” lug track holding up with all of that extra spin?

Quite surprised to hear you say that because o& your past monster sleds, but yes there are many groomed trail snow conditions where a studded track difference is minimal, but then once again, when the trails turn icy you would have to play it smart and lay off that throttle period, because those trees are freakin hard. Funny thing about sled set ups and different snow conditions, King on one day does not necessarily mean King every day without studs. One better know how to let the better handling sleds outperform them in those conditions eh. I do hear what you are saying, I too like that rear end to have some slide in those corners and not have that stud damage crap that most of my sleds have experienced!

I have to say that this year’s set up on my sled did just that, it allowed for more corner slide then prior years set up but once on ice much better. That Ripsaw ll with it’s angled edge and 144 Woodys 1.350” down the middle, and new 6”slim Jim’s on my curves really surprised me. Fun and much safer then the last two seasons set up which was the 1.22” Ice Attack XT and same on front. On some snow conditions it does slide around a bit but what a difference on ice.

Was really looking forward to doing more late season county riding for that reason, fast well frozen or blue trails that are bullet proof until later in the day. Oh my, that is what I wait for, then came Covid-19.

Again wondering how many lugs you’ve lost on that 1”?

Lugs lost = 0!

We had 2-5ft of snow pack all winter. Stumps/roots/rocks all well covered and nothing available to hit and/or cause damage.

Lugs lost = 0!

We had 2-5ft of snow pack all winter. Stumps/roots/rocks all well covered and nothing available to hit and/or cause damage.

Nice to hear that and gotta love that extra mph found with a lower lug track. Makes a noticeable difference for sure!
I have found that ice, if not really smooth, will also cause lugs to spit out.

Back